to think you don't "teach" a child to wee in a grid?

(42 Posts)
buzzwoodybuzzwoody Sun 21-Apr-13 16:05:55

A friend's DS (3) frightened the living daylights out of everyone yesterday by suddenly stepping from the pavement causing a lorry to screech on the brakes and calmly proceeded to get his penis out and urinate in a grid - the child's mum said "oh yes we've been teaching him to wee in grids."

hmm

People don't do that do they? Usually?

meditrina Mon 22-Apr-13 18:35:05

Where I live, drains aren't in the middle of the road, so I really don't get that bit of OP.

mathanxiety Mon 22-Apr-13 18:28:30

Maybe the exception proves the rule ??

It's been my observation that this is much more a boy phenomenon, and very much a British (and Irish) thing too. In the US a playground would grind to a horrified screeching stop if anyone peed anywhere near it.

JenaiMorris Mon 22-Apr-13 18:27:16

Teaching them to go in the least bad place is sensible.

In the path of a truck is by no means the least worse place however - it's nuts!

meditrina Mon 22-Apr-13 18:13:33

I have children of both sexes, and have held DD out over a drain a few times. All my DCs got it wrong a few times whilst training, and I just chose the least bad place depending on where we were.

(Sorry for disrupting your theory).

mathanxiety Mon 22-Apr-13 18:10:12

I notice this is mostly all DSs we are talking about here.

I guarantee if mothers of DDs were on this thread they would have a different story to tell and would be taking more time to make sure their DDs didn't need to pee while out, or planning trips to include public loos and making them go in the proper place, or try to go, even if reluctant.

To a certain extent this problem exists because some parents of boys are lazy. They are lazy because it's easier to tell a boy to unzip and pee right there on the spot than bring a child to a loo, and because it's more difficult to facilitate a girl who needs to pee immediately.

Ledkr Mon 22-Apr-13 12:00:56

Tbh I know it's just a little toddlers small wee but if all chikdren did this everywhere our towns and parks would drink of piss.
Ok if caught short but if not its just lazy.
I was sat next to a woman with twins at the open air pool last year and they peed about three times each throughout the day against a hedge. My dd was crawling and kept going to the hedge to pull herself up and I kept having to stop her or she'd crawl thru piss.
Vile.

theansweris42 Mon 22-Apr-13 11:58:23

Word grin

The boys looked around 5 and 7 so not toddlers either!

A few days ago I went to a cash machine, joined the queue behind a woman and 2 young school boys, she was huddled in the corner with them and I assumed she was putting her cash/card away discreetly.

Then they moved and she had been sheltering the boy whilst he weed against the cash machine wall!! Big puddle of wee right where you have to stand.

This was on a busy shopping street full of cafes.

Dirty sod. (The woman)

Yanbu.

Flobbadobs Mon 22-Apr-13 11:53:02

Secret wees here too but when DS was young we had an empty bottle for when stopping wasn't an option. That and the plastic bags to catch the inevitable car sickness meant the back of our car looked like a rubbish bin.
DD1 had hand drier issues too until she came across one of those Dyson ones, then I couldn't get her away..

WordUpG Mon 22-Apr-13 11:48:00

Yep. My ds was petrified. I can understand. He was sat there in the Trafford Centre squeezing one out. I'm using the other toilet (family cubicle) I stand up and my arse sets the dryer off. He nearly bounced out of the door in fright.

theansweris42 Mon 22-Apr-13 11:45:40

heh, never met another in RL, good to know its not just us!

Manyofhorror3 Mon 22-Apr-13 11:36:08

Yes, I have a handdryer phobic too. He goes bananas if they go off.

theansweris42 Mon 22-Apr-13 11:33:00

anyone else have DC refusing to use public loo because of handdrier? he is genuinely terrified...

WordUpG Mon 22-Apr-13 11:27:11

My 3 have all been caught short very occasionally. If we can't get to a toilet in time then a discreet wee is had behind a bush, tree or in a corner. Certainly not in a grid in public while causing a near pile up.

Manyofhorror3 we are secret wee experts too. My kids lie. "Have you been to the toilet? Yes. Are you sure you don't need the toilet? Yes. Just go now before we leave. We have..." In the car 10 minutes. "Muuuum... I need a wee..." Grrrr!

ChocsAwayInMyGob Mon 22-Apr-13 11:05:58

I have been caught short with my 3yo DS. We usually find a discreet drain out of sight, or a bush if out and about (there is a park near us with rancid loos I wouldn't set foot in).

It's not ideal, but it does happen in an emergency.

theansweris42 Mon 22-Apr-13 10:59:05

my DSs are 2 and 3, both get caught short (2 yr old just out of nappies) and also the 3 year old is phobic about public loos (terrified about the hand drier) so we have to find discreet places outside - but in bushes or next to trees - no pavement puddle. I don't like doing it but needs must - are we offending loads of people? (ulp?

sashh you got two threads on the go?! grin

this is the pissing in a drain one!

Cantbelieveitsnotbutter Mon 22-Apr-13 10:46:04

Massive bug bear of mine, if your child gets caught short, fine it happens, be discreet. But the world is not your toilet! I see it at the local playground all the time, the loo is a very short walk from the playground.
It's just not nice!!!
I dumped a boyfriend once as he stopped to have a wee by the side or a road, we'd just passed a services.

Chunderella Mon 22-Apr-13 10:38:52

No 3 year old should be being trained to step out onto a road by themself and with no warning! That bothers me much more than any potential hygiene concerns.

ArabellaBeaumaris Mon 22-Apr-13 09:18:00

I was a bit gobsmacked when a boy at the playground had a wee in the middle of the playground. His mum seemed to think it was totally normal. He is school aged!

scaevola Mon 22-Apr-13 09:16:03

Well, mine have certainly been caught out a few times during the potty training era!

When in a suburban street with no prospect of reaching a loo in time, I 've always thought 'better down the drain than making a pavement puddle" (the only other choice being someone's front garden).

THe drain grilles were right next to the kerb though. No need whatsoever to step off the pavement.

Manyofhorror3 Mon 22-Apr-13 08:53:39

My toilet training son does what we call "secret wees" - we open the front and back doors of the car, he stands in the gap in between and I stand behind and he does a quick wee. Great for emergencies. And wearing on a nettle (other plants are available) if we're in the Great Outdoors. Grids aren't great as you get a lot of splash back, but it was certainly common in my parents' generation.

sashh Mon 22-Apr-13 06:14:47

So ... I tend to think about why the form is asking

They are all for the same reason, to report the ethnic mix to number crunchers.

mathanxiety Mon 22-Apr-13 05:49:54

Is there an element of vicarious flashing to this?

Or is it a case of, 'Look everyone, a willy! My boy has a willy! A boy sprang from my loins, and now my life has meaning and everyone is going to notice and acknowledge that he possesses a willy!'

I just don't think this mother would have been teaching a DD to pee into the sewer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now