To only wash my bedding ...

(219 Posts)
Froggy2013 Sat 20-Apr-13 21:48:25

Every 2 weeks?

King size and junior double sheets, duvet cover etc., which I iron. Plus spare bed maybe every 4 weeks (me/DH spend the odd night when we are having problems sleeping/have visitors staying over). Can't understand how other mums manage to get everything washed, dried and ironed in a week?!

Am I manky?

AlanMoore Sat 20-Apr-13 22:15:47

I don't iron it though, I just fold it carefully (plus we have cheap ish poly cotton bedding which doesn't crease much - the m&s duvet cover is ace and looks ironed!)

Inertia Sat 20-Apr-13 22:16:03

Changed weekly, always ironed. I love fresh smooth sheets.

MrsDeVere Sat 20-Apr-13 22:16:43

I change them all at least once a week. I have a ton of stuff on my tastefully shabby chic bed so it take bloody ages.

But I only ever iron bed linen if I am in labour.

I love a clean bed. I hate dust mites. I have a thing about them. Bleiugh.

BackforGood Sat 20-Apr-13 22:18:32

I wash them when I suddenly realise I can't remember when I last washed them

^^ This, too.
Never iron - I mean, why would you ? confused

Weekly here but I heard on that OCD cleaner show that some people only change their sheets 3-4 times a year. Now that made my skin crawl and possibly think they'd just made that up. No-body could be that manky

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Sat 20-Apr-13 22:19:14

Can someone please put me out of my misery and tell me what the hell GetOrf does?

imour Sat 20-Apr-13 22:19:23

no your not manky , wish i could be bothered to do mine that often smile

FatPenguin Sat 20-Apr-13 22:20:07

Once a week. Used to iron bedding, then realised I could use the time I spend ironing eating biscuits and drinking tea instead.

I think you breathe out a litre a night or half a litre maybe - which causes condensation. Don't think you sweat that much.

And, while you're at it, tell me why anyone would iron bedding? No one sees it except you and your nearest and dearest and it's wrinkled after one night's use. Madness.

KirstyJC Sat 20-Apr-13 22:21:56

When I can't remember the last time is about right here too. Although I do often chuck the pillowcases in the wash if I need to make it up to a full load, so we get the fresh laundry smell without having to do the whole lot. I can recommend it to all you wannabe slatterns out there!grin

MinnieBar Sat 20-Apr-13 22:25:03

Alliwant GetOrf changes her bed linen every day.

Every. Day.

She is a MN legend and benchmark wink

LazyMonkeyButler Sat 20-Apr-13 22:25:38

I think GetOrf changes the bed daily doesn't she?

nametakenagain Sat 20-Apr-13 22:26:09

I aspire to fortnightly (improving hygiene) but achieve about monthly (thereby saving the planet through unnecessary hygiene). Hah!

LazyMonkeyButler Sat 20-Apr-13 22:26:11

x-post

A legend indeed grin.

BriansBrain Sat 20-Apr-13 22:26:24

I googled sweat at night.

Adds to never google again spread sheet.

S k i n <boak>

Fishandjam Sat 20-Apr-13 22:26:57

Usually every fortnight (or longer) here. But I've recently started anti-Ds again and a side effect is a really sweaty head at night blush. So now the nice weather's coming at least I fucking hope so I will be washing weekly, and my pillows as well as the bedlinen. Tedious beyond belief.

But I LOVE the feeling of having just had a bath, putting on clean nightclothes, and getting into my bed made up with clean, crisp 100% cotton bedlinen (no polycotton nonsense in this house). Utter bliss.

HollyBerryBush Sat 20-Apr-13 22:28:11

In humans, sweating is primarily a means of thermoregulation which is achieved by the water-rich secretion of the eccrine glands. Maximum sweat rates of an adult can be up to 2-4 liters per hour or 10-14 liters per day

Grim, when you think you spend 8 hours in bed, wrapped up in a duvet. Most of that sweat will come out as you walk about, people sweat all day every day. At rest, in bed, the rate is less of course. Nonetheless you are sweating and shedding skin all night. I wont even go into other fluid deposits in a bed.

Stangirl Sat 20-Apr-13 22:29:30

Ok. There's been a few posts now......are you ready for this......

2-3 times a year.

Actually since the last reaction to me posting this caused such outrage I have reconsidered my position and it's probably every couple of months now. Oh and always changed if child or cat is sick on bedding.

MrsDeVere Sat 20-Apr-13 22:29:58

I have a special bed hoover.

It has a little light on it and a bangy thing to move the dust mite around so you can suck them up.

{happy sigh}

specialsubject Sat 20-Apr-13 22:30:28

when I got in the night before and thought 'hmm, clean sheets tomorrow'. Or there has been excessive sweatiness.

usually about weekly. Never iron, though. And thoroughly aired every day.

HoppinMad Sat 20-Apr-13 22:32:15

Yanbu, I dont keep track but on average its 3 weeks that I change mine blush
But now with a co-sleeping baby its probably more often, and sometimes every two days if we have sick or leaky wee nappies.

Ironing bedlinen is as pointless as ironing underwear. I mean who the heck is going to see it??

AuntieMaggie Sat 20-Apr-13 22:33:11

Every few weeks in the winter every week in the summer but then we wear PJs in the winter

AlanMoore Sat 20-Apr-13 22:33:22

My mum has 100% cotton bedding and I don't like the feel so ner ner!

KirstyJC Sat 20-Apr-13 22:33:28

<Applauds Stangirl>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now