to think Gove has probably forgotten the fun of summer holidays, playing out after school and relaxing?

(235 Posts)
kim147 Fri 19-Apr-13 07:43:06

With his plan to extend the school day and shorten the holidays.

Didn't he spend summer playing outside with his friends? Coming home after school, doing clubs like cubs, playing outside, spending time with his parents and just "being a child"?

AIBU to think he's forgotten what it's like to be a child?

Hulababy Sun 21-Apr-13 08:57:57

Norfolk - did you see the link? English school children already do longer hours than other children in developed countries. Longer hours is simply not the answer.

dayshiftdoris Sun 21-Apr-13 18:55:04

Squarepeg

As single parent I dont have the benefit of another parent working part time and as a midwife I couldn't work school hours though I was allowed to work 9-5...

Never had an exotic holiday, large house or brand new car, infact I've earnt that much that there has barely been money to put food on the table at times.

And during all that time I was putting my son 'on the treadmill' (by choice of course) I was paying more than a third of my wage for childcare. I couldn't leave work and claim benefits because I had a mortgage before I had my son and I knew I would end up losing our home.

But thanks for your completely in accurate take on my world... I guarentee you that I am not alone with this one... there is a number of single parents doing what I did for the reasons I did it.

As for downtime - I have been lucky enough to not work the last 10months and my son is no better off because the holidays are so stupidity spaced out... some holidays are too long and the terms too long.
They cram so much in to the day so it's all rushed. The irony of your 'downtime' comment when my son with ASD often misses his downtime at school because they are cramming teaching in right up to 3.15pm...

A longer day with more breaks that give real downtime coupled with shorter, more regular holidays would be better in the long run.

Squarepebbles Sun 21-Apr-13 19:22:19

For you not for my children, the majority of children or teachers.

Doubtitsomehow Sun 21-Apr-13 19:38:19

My kids love the summer hols. And we just about manage to balance it with work.

But. I see all the arguments about global competition. And it's our kids that are going to be facing that - not us parents.

I also really feel for those kids whose parents struggle to put food on the table, and to parent, over the long hols. For them, the six or seven weeks must stretch out like a nightmare.

So. It's debate worth having. How can it not be?

exoticfruits Sun 21-Apr-13 19:39:12

What's not to like?

Over 200 posts detailing it!

nappyaddict Wed 24-Apr-13 09:39:17

I think the October, February and May half terms should be 2 weeks. Easter and Christmas should be 3 weeks and 4 weeks in Summer.

sarahtigh Wed 24-Apr-13 16:00:15

why would you want all those holidays when weather bad that would be more weeks in october to march than in april - september

maybe split summer holidays so finish after major exams last 3 weeks of june then 6 weeks in school

( for primary school children all afternoon activites outside more sport/ nature based science etc)

for secondary children could include at least 2 weeks of work experience things like duke of edinburgh awards , outward bound stuff, more music /art/ theatre etc taster courses in other languages/ philosphy/ cookery/ mechanics etc

then off last 2 weeks august and 1st week september then last week october half term, 2 weeks at christmas 3rd week of february and then first 2 weeks in april for easter with just long weekend in may as break up in june, also means no going back for 3 weeks after GCSE's

howshouldibehave Wed 24-Apr-13 16:50:06

To people who suggest all primary school afternoon activities be outside, can I just make the point that whilst it's a lovely idea, it's not always practical. My primary has 20 classes of 30 with one playground and one small field and I'm sure we aren't alone in this-there is just no space.

nappyaddict Thu 25-Apr-13 17:07:58

sarahtigh Because for me the purpose of school holidays is to recharge batteries so shorter, more frequently spaced out holidays are better than having 12 weeks in the summer but just 2 weeks at christmas and 2 weeks at Easter like other countries have.

BeQuicksieorBeDead Sun 28-Apr-13 10:34:44

Gove is going to fund this idea for free, with the backing of most voters, after he has baited the unions in to a strike. Selfish teachers need sorting out - giving him licence to rip up teachers pay and conditions and set working hours to suit his plan.

What kind of teachers will stick with it? Ones that have no option, no confidence left, no self worth to leave. The profession will suffer as it is downgraded even more and unqualified teachers do more and more of the work. We will end up like Portugal where primary teachers are seen as the dregs.

If we want shorter holidays, fine, good luck booking time off when everyone requests the same fortnight, but lets throw some money at it and do it properly. Extended hours need to be paid for, be optional and be.good quality. Not be tacked on to an already exhausting day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now