Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

If you are a MIL, help me understand this crazy behaviour!

(178 Posts)
Wishwehadgoneabroad Sun 14-Apr-13 11:34:42

In a nutshell..

MIL now not speaking to me at all because I have 'ruined' her day.

Her day being my wedding day!!

Basically, we (DH to be and I!) want a very low key, no kids, short church wedding with a short, civilised meal after the event. The only child coming is our own (small baby)

Apparently, I am selfish, mean and 'playing games' because I am not putting family first and inviting everyone from her side of the family. The kicker, we are not inviting DH's baby nephew who is 'her world' and should be the focus of attention at her son's wedding!!

I have been polite and put her with her crazy ways over the last 4 years. Last night, she tipped me over the edge and I told her exactly what I thought - which pretty much ended in, 'My day, my way..don't really care whether you approve of our wedding plans or not, come, don't come, it's your call, but please don't dictate to me how to celebrate my wedding day'

So, AIBU or is she? And is this salvageable??!! grin

Wishwehadgoneabroad Mon 22-Apr-13 12:56:53

No response from the text....!!!!

Best bit. DP rang his siblings (2 of whom still live at home) and they claim nothings been said. I really don't believe this for a minute.

Well, at this rate, they're going to be replaced grin

Fudgemallowdelight Mon 22-Apr-13 13:28:57

I wouldn't really replace them if i were you, in case they come round and want to come later on. If you don't leave them that option you'd be basically cutting off your husband's family as I doubt they'd get over it. It's one thing to give them the impression you'll replace them, but another to really do it.

Wishwehadgoneabroad Mon 22-Apr-13 14:32:09

Hmm. Yes. That's a good point.

Well, I'm not chasing her. Such childish behaviour from a woman in her 50's!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now