to get pissed off when parents let their kids pick flowers?

(147 Posts)
fuzzypicklehead Fri 12-Apr-13 19:11:10

<fb warning>

A mum I know posted a photo of her DC (aged 6) clutching a big bunch of daffodils, captioned "look what DC picked for me at the park! Isn't that sweet?" Sure it's great that he wanted to give his mum flowers, but pulling them out of a public flower bed?

Similar situation with another child when leaving the school grounds just before Easter--she asked her mum if she could pick a daffodil and was told yes. Cue my kids in a sulk the whole way home because I wouldn't let them pluck flowers too.

AIBU to think that flowers in public places are for everyone to enjoy and not for a few selfish people to nab for themselves? Perhaps your child is only picking a few, but if every child who walks by grabs a couple of flowers then they'll be finished by the end of the day. If you want fresh flowers , go and buy them. If your kids want to pull them up, then grow your own bastard flowers so your kids can pull their bloody heads off. Or maybe just tell your PFB "no, you can't pick those flowers because they don't belong to you."

It's been a long day. Need brew

InkySkink Fri 12-Apr-13 19:51:05

Perhaps just send her a privateessage with a link to this:
m.guardian.co.uk/law/2011/mar/16/rules-picking-wild-flowers
Saying you wouldn't want her DC to get in trouble with his future thieving efforts?

MrsKoala Fri 12-Apr-13 19:51:29

hhmmm i see your point Fuzzy, this is why i'm never friends with anyone i couldn't take in smack down. it's sage advice, passed down from my gran which has served me well many times... grin

MintyyAeroEgg Fri 12-Apr-13 19:52:52

Yanbu. I'll never know why I didn't go up to the two mums in my local park and tell them to stop smiling benignly as their toddlers picked daffodils for them out of the flower beds.

Jojay Fri 12-Apr-13 19:54:18

YANBU. I've just had to have a long chat with Ds2 (4) about why it's ok to pick daisies and dandelions but not ok top pick flowers from people's gardens....

AllSWornOut Fri 12-Apr-13 20:00:44

YANBU

My local park has daffodil bulbs planted along all the paths but there are almost no flowers left as they've all been picked sad Selfish buggers.

fuzzypicklehead Fri 12-Apr-13 20:01:09

Mrs Koala, that is the kind of thing I could have done with learning in school!

thermalsinapril Fri 12-Apr-13 20:02:54

YANBU. They're meant to be for everyone to enjoy.

cocolepew Fri 12-Apr-13 20:07:30

This drives me mad. Outside DDs primary school there are hundres of daffodils planted on a grassy bank. If kids aren't picking them they are running through them, stamping on them.
I got into a shocking row last year witj a group of mums.

MsBella Fri 12-Apr-13 20:24:50

From someones garden YANBU
From nature... YABU!

MsBella Fri 12-Apr-13 20:27:54

Of and if they've obviously been specifically planted then I see your point
Although I never saw a problem picking flowers from peoples garden until YEARS and years after

MintyyAeroEgg Fri 12-Apr-13 20:30:05

Daffodils do not grow "in nature" MsBella.

MsBella Fri 12-Apr-13 20:31:31

The title says flowers...

But a park is a public garden, for everybody to enjoy. Nature didn't put them there, the counci gardeners did. <sigh, why am I biting?>

Yanbu op, some parents are thick, selfish and self absorbed.

MsBella Fri 12-Apr-13 20:34:51

As I said in nature yabu, not 'parks are nature'

InNeedOfBrandy Fri 12-Apr-13 20:35:26

I always used to pick my mum daffs, she used to have vases and vases stuffed full on the kitchen windowsills. Doesn't really bother me and I let dc pick them from random places IE not from a park's "garden" as such but a load of random planted ones are not going to miss a few that dc have picked.

MsBella Fri 12-Apr-13 20:36:38

Oh my god 'thick selfish and self absorbed' is a bit much just because someones kid picked a few flowers from a park
Maybe she doesn't see a problem with it
Although I definitely see how its bu to do that, maybe the kid did it when the mum wasn't looking? don't know how old the kid is to suggest that though

Sailormercury Fri 12-Apr-13 20:36:54

YANBU.

Lorialet Fri 12-Apr-13 20:37:14

What if everyone's dc picked them? Wouldn't be an awful lot left would there?

TheChaoGoesMu Fri 12-Apr-13 20:37:36

YANBU. I would have said something to her. Either that or told my child very loudly that we dont do that because the flowers are there for EVERYONE to enjoy.

fuzzypicklehead Fri 12-Apr-13 20:38:20

True, it does say flowers in the title, as opposed to daffodils specifically. I suppose I mean any flower that has been planted by a person other than the individual who wants to pick it.

So daisies, buttercups, and dandelions wouldn't bother me.

Parks, planters, pub gardens and other people's gardens should be left alone IMO.

fuzzypicklehead Fri 12-Apr-13 20:39:52

The DC I'm speaking of are 5 and 6 years old.

MrsKoala Fri 12-Apr-13 20:41:47

But it's just stealing isn't it - Maybe a lot of people don't see a problem with stealing and taking things for their own enjoyment rather than that of many people, still doesn't make it right. It's not really an each to their own, do you like tea or coffee type question. It's more 'do you think it's okay to take something that doesn't belong to you just because you want it and there is no one guarding it?'

Sailormercury Fri 12-Apr-13 20:42:07

But what if everyone took "just a few flowers" MsBella? then there would be nothing left for anyone to enjoy when they were out walking.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 12-Apr-13 20:43:12

Neither wild or planted flowers should be picked unless they are growing on your own property.

Picking flowers someone else has planted is theft.

Picking wildflowers harms their ability to reproduce.

Picking all flowers is a selfish act.

Yep, thick, selfish and self absorbed. The type of parents who let their little darlings 'express themselves' i.e be a total brat.
A topical example would be the type of parents who let their children run around restaurants. I'll add ineffective and a bit wet to my description too. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now