To think those who have had Botox/fillers look fake?

(105 Posts)
KareninsGirl Fri 12-Apr-13 15:49:43

Well, AIBU?

I really think it makes people look homogenous, plastic and slightly weird.

What's wrong with a 'face that tells a story' anyway?!

lydiamama Sat 13-Apr-13 11:06:34

I completely agree, I have seen in some few people, I actually feel scare of them as they seem not to have any expression on their eyes and frow at all, and it is very weird indeed. I am sure it is not noticeable for most people who have it done, but if you overdo it it is just plain horrible IMHO.

I mentioned that Tiger, but lets not stop a lack of knowledge/experience stop any posting their illconsidered viewpoint, eh? It simply wouldn't be AIBU wink

Actually Don, I don't believe that's true. Plenty of "normal" women have it done and you're basing your view on slebville.

FreudiansSlipper Sat 13-Apr-13 11:14:27

I have a few friends who are convinced that they look good and no one can see the difference just they look a little fresher

mmm well have to say other can see the difference and it is not what I would call a fresher look but if they are happier it has done the job but how long can it make you feel better about yourself

I am very tempted to have my eyelids done

twitchycurtains Sat 13-Apr-13 11:20:33

When your forehead is frozen, your face is devoid of any natural expression and you suddenly have a pair of cheekbones that seem to have suddenly sprouted overnight - you can tell.. trust.

They don't have to tell me or anyone else, why would they?, folk can do whatever they like to their faces or any other part of their body as they wish, nobody but the most nosiest or rudest would openly ask but your deluded kidding yourself if you think another woman can't tell.

DonDrapersAltrEgoBigglesDraper Sat 13-Apr-13 11:20:46

How do you know what I'm basing my view on, Miss?

So you do or don't think you fall into the unnoticeable camp?

Mumsyblouse Sat 13-Apr-13 11:22:28

The best plastic surgery I have seen is eyebags, you end up with a normal face but just without the droopy eyebags (I have a friend who did this for her 40th and it looks great).

The worst are the Botox, fillers, peels combo, I have a distant cousin who visited for the first time in ages a while back and we were literally all mesmerised by her weird plastic waxy skin. It was not wrinkly, it was lovely and smooth, but it was weird, like looking at a gone-wrong doll. Now it has worn off she looks much nicer and not old at all, she is 35ish and it is such a mistake at this age.

Mumsyblouse Sat 13-Apr-13 11:23:41

Mind you, it did give us all something to talk about, I couldn't actually concentrate on what she was saying, the waxy sheen was just mesmerising.

The thing is, if it wears off after 6 months then you're going to keep getting it done aren't you. (Metaphorical you). And the first couple of times it's done then you just look a little better and younger and nobody notices. But then after the third, fourth, fifth...time then you start to develop The Look. But of course you convince yourself that nobody notices, even though most people do notice The Look. So in a way it's kind of defeats the object of having it done. You either leave your wrinkles alone and people notice you getting older and more haggard, or you have it done and develop The Look, you are terribly smooth but people notice how plastic you're starting to look.

DonDrapersAltrEgoBigglesDraper Sat 13-Apr-13 11:27:47

Exactly, because each time it's done, it's an incremental increase to you. But to everyone else, it's over-done and The Look is thus created. And you're getting older each time, so it's compounded by that as well.

BinksToEnlightenment Sat 13-Apr-13 11:31:42

I haven't had it yet, but I will in time. So what if it occasionally doesn't look completely natural. Neither does my eyeliner or foundation or lipstick. Who gives a Clive Crap.

It wears off in any case. If only there was permanent botox!

TigerSwallowtail Sat 13-Apr-13 11:33:19

I recently found out that a couple of people I know have it done. I would honestly never have guessed. They have lovely skin and look natural too, I was quite shocked when I found out.

theodorakisses Sat 13-Apr-13 11:34:33

well if it makes you feel better to judge others, go ahead. I actually look at people who look haggard and older than they should and think "you should get a bit of botox, you wouldn't look so old and knackered".

MintyyAeroEgg Sat 13-Apr-13 11:39:12

I don't think anyone is judging are they? Just saying that they can often tell ...

Brices Sat 13-Apr-13 11:41:06

I consider Botox in the same way as covering up grey hair with hair colour. People can tell or not I've had it done, don't care I like it

stopgap Sat 13-Apr-13 12:41:03

It always looks fake. I'm not saying it always looks bad, but you can always tell. My section of NYC is overrun with women in their thirties and up with plastic surgery, some look bad, others refreshed, but they're fooling no-one (and I suspect fooling people isn't the main objective, anyway, but to feel good about themselves).

Wheredidmyyouthgo Sat 13-Apr-13 12:51:00

I have Botox and I like it very much. I have facial deformity on one side, so doubtless look bloody awful the entire time anyway, however.... the Botox does make me feel a little more confident about myself, which is important to me, as I've spent a lifetime feeling bad about my face! Each to their own on this type of thing I think. I read things where people say 'I would never have plastic surgery'. And I think 'you would if you looked like me'. It's easier to say that when you're lovely looking to start with! smile

noddyholder Sat 13-Apr-13 13:01:19

No one has ever commented on mine and my mates are cheeky buggers! Even my own mum and sister thought I was joking Mine looks like I did 15 yrs ago but I can still move. I have left it 6 months and I do look more knackered so I am calling my doc Monday so that I can be make up free all summer

LadyMountbatten Sat 13-Apr-13 13:05:51

Lol at theodor

Don - slebsville probably.

At the moment it's worn off and my 11s are back, so noticeable, yes grin

lottieandmia Sat 13-Apr-13 13:25:36

Fillers can look awful - Barry Manilow???? His cheeks are unbelievable. And lately Simon Cowell has also had too many fillers.

Moderation is definitely key.

noddyholder Sat 13-Apr-13 13:28:04

I am scared of fillers and peels not sure why! Don't like the idea of fillers as they alter the structure whereas botox just smooths.

CelticPixie Sat 13-Apr-13 13:31:42

YANBU. What's wrong with growing old gracefully? If you look after your skin when your younger you shouldn't get wrinkles until your well into your 40's anyway. Moisturise, don't smoke, stay safe in the sun and drink in moderation is the key IMO.

Speaking of Botox and filers though, who else thinks Simon Cowell looks terrible these days? He looks like he's got a shellfish allergy or something, his face is so swollen.

ModernToss Sat 13-Apr-13 13:43:09

There definitely is The Look.

I was at an art exhibition a while ago, lots of very wealthy people there (I basically sneaked in), and just about every woman had The Look. It was weird - they were all similar, as if they were somehow related.

CelticPixie Sat 13-Apr-13 13:48:09

One of the worst offenders is Michelle Collins from Corrie. Her face barely moved and looks as though its been "stretched". It doesn't fit with her character at all, as if a woman who runs a back street boozer in Manchester would be able to afford the kind of "works" she's obviously had done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now