to be sulking with Game of Thrones (books) so not watch the programme? HUGE SPOILER ONLY FOR people who have read all the books

(225 Posts)
mamapants Wed 10-Apr-13 17:17:04

SPOILER DO NOT READ IF YOU Don't want to know what happens in last book so far

Am sulking cos they killed off JS! How could he? Don't know what he was thinking! So haven't watched series 2 or 3 yet. Just can't get excited anymore

expatinscotland Mon 22-Apr-13 10:00:52

She gets drippy for a bit, but at the end of the last book she finds her mettle again!

Sansa isn't soggy, she's just very young - 13 - and has been abused in the extreme and has had quite a bit of trauma. Even Tyrion recognises this and doesn't hold it against her.

Fecklessdizzy Mon 22-Apr-13 10:36:13

I know, I know ... But I'm dying for her to start channeling Arya a bit and shove Little Finger out of the moon door before her pounces and turns her into Cat2.

Fecklessdizzy Mon 22-Apr-13 10:37:36

Eh? Before he pounces ... Sorry!

Fecklessdizzy Mon 22-Apr-13 10:58:51

Thing is ... I reckon Little Finger is going to turn out to be a real threat. He's like Henry Tudor at the end of the Wars of the Roses - no real claim but waits until everyone else has fought themselves to a standstill and then pops up and snatches power. He's got an impregnable fortress and the only Stark not dead or MIA. Definitely one to watch - tricksy scumbag that he is.

blush Um ... I do need to get out more, don't I?

Trillz Mon 22-Apr-13 11:19:17

Even in the show you can already see Sansa starting to harden up and learn to play the game - just before the battle of the Blackwater she delivers a beautiful "fuck you" to Tyrion (and I think he appreciates it).

It goes something like:
"I shall pray for your safe return, my lord"
"Will you?"
"Just as I pray for the king"

bringmeroses Mon 22-Apr-13 14:44:42

I absolutely loved the books but was interested to read what someone said about GRRM - that he does not plan very much – there are so many unanswered questions and loose ends, I am wondering how he is going to tie most of them up to people's satisfaction in that last two books. Also very much hoping for his continuing good health !
I can't believe JS would die, he has too much of an interesting story line, surely?
A part of me would like the author to get together with a collective of writers, plan the storylines for the next 20 books or so, and keep them coming! There seems to be enough material…!

expatinscotland Mon 22-Apr-13 15:22:53

Sansa does start to wise up about Tyrion in the books once she gets a dose of Lord Robert Arryn and Petyr, and thinks to herself that she'd prefer to share a bed with Tyrion than either of them.

expatinscotland Mon 22-Apr-13 23:53:18

Remember it will take a High Septon and a Council of Faith to annul the marriage, even unconsummated. Tyrion's first was so annulled, but not so his marriage to Sansa. Petyr knows he cannot marry her himself until such is done, and certainly from the books it appears she has already had a change of heart.

expatinscotland Mon 22-Apr-13 23:54:16

Also, both Petyr and Willas's younger brother tell her that Tyrion would make a much better husband to her.

expatinscotland Tue 23-Apr-13 00:43:18

And also I see in the telly series she first used 'Dracarys' differently. In the books, she first shows it off to Ser Jorah, when they are at sea, and the first time when she claims The Unsullied. Then she commands Drogon, and Rhaeghal and Viserion follow suit.

But GREAT scenes on YouTube.

In the books, she challenges Whitebeard. 'Do you know what it is like to be sold? I do. My brother sold me for a crown,' and explains how it may have gone differently.

She's much better in the books, IMO and more like both Jon Snow and Aegon, rules as a duty and not a right.

expatinscotland Tue 23-Apr-13 01:13:27

And remember what the Whore of Volantis tells Tyrion, 'The slaves of Volantis wait for her.'

expatinscotland Thu 25-Apr-13 01:01:00

She commands at least Drogon, the largest of the three, Balerion reborn. And the other two, even as Quentyn released them and they saw the other woman, he recognised, they were looking for Danaerhys, they were looking for their mother.

She went drippy, but she seems to have got over that, and be a queen.

It matches up with both Aegon, whom Varys told Ser Kevan, he comes to rule not as right but of duty, and with Jon Snow, who has consistently done the same. Jon Snow has always put the good of The Watch and the realm above himself, and, it would seem, die for it.

But a dragon is born in fire, and that's one thing Melissandre has.

Twit Thu 25-Apr-13 16:32:33

Do you think melissandre looks like Victarion's arm in reality? (Was it Victarion who got reborn and got a charcoal stump? Or have I mixed him up.

You know whT would be cool, if we could al read the books together so tat every one can point out all the clever stuff I am clearly missing blush
(See pig boy pâté )
<also needs to get out more emoticon>

Alisvolatpropiis Thu 25-Apr-13 18:16:54

YANBU!

I have convinced myself he's not really dead though. He must be the ice part right? Song of Ice and Fire...Jon and Danaerys?

Fecklessdizzy Thu 25-Apr-13 19:43:18

I'm fairly sure he's not ( substitutes desperate hope for logic ) as it would blow a huge hole in my the-only-rulers-worth-having-put-their-people-before-themselves-and-must-therefore-be-Dany-Jon-and-Tyrion theory and totally break my heart. grin

expatinscotland Sat 27-Apr-13 02:08:09

There is also that very white blond, purple-eyed, so-called Dornishman Ned Deyne, heir to the older brother of Ser Arthur Deyne, Lord of Starfall, whom Arya meets when she is with Lord Beric's men before Sandor Clegane takes her. The one who tells her, that Willa was wet nurse to Jon Snow, and of the partial story of his brother's sister, his aunt, the Lady Ashara Deyne, and Ned Stark. He leaves out the full story of Barristan Selmy/Aristan Whitebeard, that Ashara gave birth to a stillborn daughter before casting herself in the sea.

Harwin, son of Winterfell's master of horse, backs him up, and reminds her that Brandon Stark was still alive when Ashara Deyne came to know Ned Stark at Harrenhal, and that at the time neither of them was promised to anyone, and how Catelyn was first promised to Brandon.

Daenrys loses her head only momentarily, but not really so much, in the books. She is still always about her people and her duty, and stamping out the slave trade, as that memorable scene between her and Aristan Whitebeard/Barristan Selmy when she tells him, 'Do you know what it's like to be sold? I do,' and tells him of how her brother sold her to Khal Drogo, and that it could have gone so differently, but Khal Drogo made her a queen.

It fits with Aegon and even with Jon Snow as well. Both think always first of the realm, even if it is unpopular.

expatinscotland Sat 27-Apr-13 02:10:53

It also fits with how Drogo's khal finds her, with all his riders, in full command of Drogon.

expatinscotland Sat 27-Apr-13 02:35:53

His ko, rather.

But she has ridden Drogon, and Rhaegal and Viserion are loose via Quentyn Martell. They are and always were smaller than Drogon, but even Barristan Selmy knows if you restrict dragons they will not grow as large.

It is definite that Tyrion Lannister knows this, too, hence the Red Priest of R'hollor's prophesy that he would live, to see 'Dragons old and new, and you in the middle, snarling.'

Will they respond to her or the horn Euron gave to Victarion? Rhaegal and Viserion look for their mother, according to the last of Quentyn Martell. He sees their eyes searching the other girl and realises they are looking for Dany.

She is the one, who figured out that telling them 'Dracarys' in her voice called them to release dragonfire, as before that she was chopping up their meat and charring it on a brazier. She introduces her find to Jorah when they set sail for what became Astapor. Though her Dothraki call it out, at the close of the books it appears at least Drogon responds only to her voice.

Then there's the whole R'hollor thing, and Martin has said the next book is going further north. The R'hollor priests and priestresses have all spoken of the other threat, whose name cannot be spoken, and Osha was about how Robb was marching the wrong way, that the real threat was from beyond The Wall.

But Targaryen is blood and fire.

Daenrys comes of VERY strong in the books. But so does Jon Snow. Little do we know of Aegon but Varys says he is for the realm not himself, and he does go against Lord Jon Connington. He makes a break, and goes to march to King's Landing, and that his aunt can meet him there.

If I had to wager, it is Dany, Aegon and Jon Snow to ride, Tyrion as Lord of Casterly Rock with his wife, Sansa Stark, who is already wising up, Bran as lord of Citadel, Rickon as head of Kingsguard, Arya as Lady of Winterfell.

Engelsemama Sat 18-May-13 18:18:40

Saw this thread last month and (not having read any of the books) didn't read it. Downloaded the books instead and have spent the last month ignoring all marking and housework. Now feeling slightly bereft. Do we really have to wait 2-3 years for the next one? shock

Though, having read this thread I think I need to g back and re-read the books as I feel like I've missed stuff!

GiveMummyTheWhizzer Sat 18-May-13 18:56:28

Love these books, just re-reading the last one. Can anyone tell me the whereabouts/dead or living status of Gendry at the end of the last book please? I've confused myself!! Thanks!

I can't remember, was gendry still with the brotherhood?

Engelsemama Sun 19-May-13 07:51:04

I think the last time we saw Gendry he was in that inn looking after lots of children and smithing for the lightning lord. Brienne came across him and then she was attacked by Biter and his crew (someone was posing as Hound).

I was very confused when Brienne turned up to get Jamie in the last book as I thought that the lightning lord/zombified Catelyn Stark had killed her confused

vintagecakeisstillnice Sun 19-May-13 08:51:51

Flipping hell.

I'm going to have to reread the books having read this thread. I thought I had a handle on them. . .

HotPanda Sun 19-May-13 20:28:36

I always thought Gendy was possibly one of the heads as there was mystery about his parentage. Or have I missed something?

Gendry is a baratheon bastard, definitely not targaryan. Jon snow is the only potential targaryan that we don't know about.

So, who watched last night? Awesome episode. It would appear that daenarys doesn't have a no tits clause after all! Glad they gave daario normal hair. And shae is so much more likeable in the show than the book, I will be so sad when she betrays tyrion.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now