to think a funeral procession is no place for protests

(344 Posts)
kim147 Tue 09-Apr-13 20:17:15

Apparently the Met are fearing a security nightmare when Thatcher's funeral takes place. Protests along the way.

No matter what you thought of her, I don't think a funeral procession is an appropriate place for a protest.

PigletJohn Sat 13-Apr-13 14:53:00

she surely wasn't seriois though?

NigellasGuest Sat 13-Apr-13 12:58:57

that person upthread lost me at the word "housewives"
WTAF?

Whoops, I`ll protest for ever about anything that is important to me, I mean I wouldnt protest for this at that time.

Its not a funeral though really, no one will get close at all to anyone of the family or true friends will they? The protesters if there are any wont get anywhere near the circus part.

I wouldnt protest at all, but I will vigorously defend anyones right to do so.

Theenemy Sat 13-Apr-13 12:53:14

If it was a private funeral I'd be outraged to think there were going to be protests. But as its a public spectacle being paid for with my taxes I think I have a right to protest if I wish. Not that I will, I'm used to being treated like a mug by this government.

No irony at all, why should there be hmm not mean words, they never bother me, love a good swear, but the fact is your arguement is all cunt, lowest of the low etc...... with no actual content, just throwing as much abuse as you can.

Growlithe Sat 13-Apr-13 12:46:54

It's more to do with her life than her death.

SpecialAgentTattooedQueen Sat 13-Apr-13 12:45:25

I haven't reported anything.

The irony of being offended by 'disgusting language' while agreeing with protests at funerals...

Like I said, I'm out. Oh the hypocrisy of mean words but protests at a dead woman's funeral are okay..

SpecialAgentTattooedQueen Sat 13-Apr-13 12:43:05

Well, although I assume your question is hypothetical I'll answer anyway.

I get personal because due to a loved one's death and funeral, as well as my own grief, too see this vicious, hypocritical glee makes me ill.

I truly do believe only someone heartless would stand and watch grieving people while they screamed insults and had a laugh.

I'd be beyond ashamed of one of my DC is they became such trashy individuals.

Bowing out now because you're right, I cannot have an intelligent debate about this particular topic because 'people' jeering at death make me ill.

I don't think I deserved the PA about how 'scary' I am and my 'award,' but either way we all have different opinions and I stand by my own.

Will hide thread now, I didn't mean to course further distraught (truly)

I just can't agree it's okay to cheer someone's death. Makes me feel ill and upsets me greatly.

Hope there's a good reason why so much money was wasted on the funeral.

Cheers.

Growlithe Sat 13-Apr-13 12:37:40

We aren't talking about any normal old lady. We aren't talking about any normal funeral. We are talking about a big public spectacle which is rubbing the nose of ordinary people - whose families suffered under her government and are again suffering - in it.

It is totally inappropriate and it is right to be against it. And if people want to use it as a stage to protest about the shoddy way they are being treated, then the last thing I would call them is cunts.

Theenemy Sat 13-Apr-13 12:37:18

Dreams I totally agree, if you dare to have an opinion that isn't shared by the majority expect to be jumped on, reported and blocked. Using disgusting language though is absolutely fine though.

wow, words like, imbecile, cunt, monsters and moron really make for an intelligent discussion dont you think hmm Bloody hell why cant people debate and disagree without getting so aggressive.

SpecialAgentTattooedQueen Sat 13-Apr-13 12:24:28

Meh, I'm not scary. Apologies if I made that impression, though I assume you're just being passive aggressive. If not, genuine apology. I have no illusions about Thatcher. She was not a good person or ruler - Far from it.

But she's dead, gone. So yes, it is cunty to have a party at her funeral. No one deserves that. No one. It makes you lower than trash IMO.

I certainly agree I don't get why the state payed for her service confused Surely they must have known that would give angry people an excuse? Why exactly would the state pay for her funeral? (genuine question if anyone knows the answer. It's hardly the norm!?)

But protesting the government is the right thing to do, not a dead old lady. I'd be so ashamed if I encouraged my DC to be such monsters as to dance on someone's grave....Urgh.

Growlithe Sat 13-Apr-13 12:16:19

I think spending 10 million pounds on this whilst removing benefits for disabled people is pretty cunty behaviour too.

That lacks respect.

LadyBeagleEyes Sat 13-Apr-13 12:16:14

Bloody Hell, with supporters of MT like you, who needs enemies. You sound hysterical.
And I think you've just won the MN award for the most usage of cunt on posts, especially as you're not joking.
<Backs away from scary person>

SpecialAgentTattooedQueen Sat 13-Apr-13 12:10:48

Family grieving or not, a funeral as your choice of celebration, just makes you look like scum. Just like her. You (plural) stooped to her level and are smug about it? Cunty.

What sort of monster does that? (And yes, I know and vaguely remember what she implemented.)

A funeral is possibly the cruellest place to pop a bottle and cheer.

I guess I just believe celebrating the death of someone makes you a cunt. Being relieved someone is dead? Sure. Protesting the funeral of someone who hasn't been in power for years? Cunty.

A funeral is a funeral is a funeral. I'll be teaching my DC more respect than having no shame mocking a dead old lady.

Westeboro (sp?) Church are viciously (and justifiably!) condemned for picketing funerals.

But they think they're fighting evil and are justified. Just like the cunty little protesters.

Maybe it's just me, but being on par with that 'church' morale wise would make me sick.

Growlithe Sat 13-Apr-13 11:57:59

Some grieving family. She died alone in the Ritz and they couldn't shift their arses back into the country for 2 days. It's just a piss up for Jeremy Clarkson et al on the money we supposedly haven't got.

SpecialAgentTattooedQueen Sat 13-Apr-13 11:50:43

*CloudsAndTrees Tue 09-Apr-13 20:24:09
You'd think it was obvious wouldn't you? People that can even contemplate demonstrating at a funeral are scum, and really need to get themselves a life.*

Didn't bother reading further than this. You protest or 'celebrate' at someone's funeral? You're just a fucking cunt. Like those bible whackos who protested Matthew Shepard's funeral. In the end, it's the same. A family grieving and you being a cunt about it.

There's a time and a place.

Dawndonna Sat 13-Apr-13 11:44:42

I do not come from a mining background. In fact, almost the opposite. I don't like her. If they were losing money, enough not to warrant them staying open, there were negotiations to be had, negotiations that she refused to enter.
Whilst the unions needed taming to some extent, they did not need decimating and that's what she set out to do.
Now, I don't particularly resent being called a lowlife imbecile, but from somebody who knows little about the history of the situation and who votes tory because they think it gives them class, well really, run along, dear.

shockers Sat 13-Apr-13 10:13:17

I agree OP... but, I don't want to pay for her funeral through my taxes.

I cannot understand the logic behind that decision.

threesypeesy Sat 13-Apr-13 09:45:35

Well I think thats a very horrible attitude to have, there have been riots linked to celebrating her death so causing disrupition, damage to propert etc is ok as peopke did not like her? I think not there mindless idiots jumping on the band wagon and are an embarrassment to this country

Theenemy Sat 13-Apr-13 09:37:56

Threesy, if her funeral is turned into a circus that I have to pay for, against my wishes, then I have a right to protest. Nothing to do with miners!

Growlithe Sat 13-Apr-13 09:33:06

schoolgovernor If you are so absolutely certain there will be violence on the streets, then David Cameron must know. So why are they doing it?

And what have 'housewives' got to do with it?

threesypeesy Sat 13-Apr-13 09:32:27

Yes low life imbeciles.... shes an old woman that done a hell of a lot of good for this country. The majority who dont like her seem to come from mining back grounds, they were loosing far to much money to warrent keeping them all open and eh the miners went on strike!!

Celebrating a death is vile, particating at protests at a funeral is also vile!!!

Dawndonna Sat 13-Apr-13 09:28:09

The scary thing is schoolgovernor if you read biographies of any of her cabinet members, if you talk to any of her cabinet members, they will all, without fail, tell you that the decisions were hers and hers alone. They were all too damned scared to disagree. Those that did dare to question her were swiftly removed from cabinet. So, in this particular case, no you can't blame a government.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now