To Ask Parents Nicely to Say No to Their Children

(64 Posts)
Chockyeggpants Tue 09-Apr-13 16:26:39

And mean it and enforce it?
Many thanks.

BumpingFuglies Tue 09-Apr-13 21:31:10

Could we bring back the birch? I'm sure that would help enormously.

Really Chocky what a completely pointless thread. Especially since it's a thread about various threads.

MsBella you make some interesting points. Unlike the OP.

nenevomito Tue 09-Apr-13 20:56:55

I say no to my children all the time. Life is full of disappointments, so I like to get them trained in that early.

haveapear Tue 09-Apr-13 20:56:54

I grew up with a no which could sometimes be changed to yes by whining, I whined a lot blush .

So in our house no means no unless its yes.

<not very helpful>

FanjoForTheMammaries Tue 09-Apr-13 20:53:27

It will basically make anyone who is struggling with parenting feel shit

HoneyDragon Tue 09-Apr-13 20:53:10

Rools! grin

HoneyDragon Tue 09-Apr-13 20:52:39

I find it helpful though. You see the best and worst aspects and some of the pitfalls.

Better than

Your bubba, your tools, Hun wink

usualsuspect Tue 09-Apr-13 20:48:53

MN is full of people judging other people's parenting. By parents for parents? Not bloody likely on here.

HoneyDragon Tue 09-Apr-13 20:44:58

Kinkyfuckery

Don't make this more confusing. It took me till now to get the gist of what the op was about. <<cries>>

FanjoForTheMammaries Tue 09-Apr-13 20:43:12

It is a bit like the Daily Mail has taken over MN.

Just waiting for someone to mention bringing back the birch

MsBella Tue 09-Apr-13 20:42:20

Of course there are things you need to 'deny' them but it doesn't mean saying 'no' all the time
For example there is offering alternatives

kinkyfuckery Tue 09-Apr-13 20:41:35

How would parents saying no stop their children from putting your child's stuff down the drain today?
Did they ask their parents if they could and got their approval?

HoneyDragon Tue 09-Apr-13 20:40:21

I'm scared of my smallest child. She turns blue when my backs turned.

HoneyDragon Tue 09-Apr-13 20:39:32

Yes but positive parenting still means refusing or denying your children things smile

I have no issue with how anyone chooses to parent as long as they are actually parenting.

Not wanting to deal with your children and allowing them to behave in a way that affects all others negatively is doing them a disservice.

FanjoForTheMammaries Tue 09-Apr-13 20:36:37

MN is supposed to be a place for parents to support each other, not give each other a bollocking constantly.

JollyPurpleGiant Tue 09-Apr-13 20:36:36

I missed that one, Honey. I do remember the blue one though.

MsBella Tue 09-Apr-13 20:36:19

I'm pretty sure most parents aren't scared of their children... its just being positive instead of negetive...

'Youre doing that wrong, stop, no, bad, no etc etc" instead using positive parenting

FanjoForTheMammaries Tue 09-Apr-13 20:34:43

So many critical and judgy threads on MN at moment, it's grim

MsBella Tue 09-Apr-13 20:33:39

Well it made me unhappy and anxious never knowing if I was doing something wrong or not and I know of others too...

HoneyDragon Tue 09-Apr-13 20:33:05

Well you could have said that in the op!

Weedy parents are bloody annoying.

Jollypurple .... My plan was to drink all the gin in the very big bottle then drop them in it. I started a thread about it. Oddly enough everyone was in firm support of my plan.

Chockyeggpants Tue 09-Apr-13 20:31:58

Saying no makes your children unhappy and anxious??
WTAF.
How many more believe this??
It just goes to prove what my teaching friends are saying.

Chockyeggpants Tue 09-Apr-13 20:30:04

Fireside has it bang on.
I was asking parents to step up and say no to their children instead of not wanting to upset them or make the children hate them. My teaching friends reckon that it's as if the parents are afraid of their children, and this lack of boundary setting has huge repercussions in schools.

MsBella Tue 09-Apr-13 20:28:12

I prefer using positive techniques to teach my kids, the idea is that if they're doing something really dangerous and I say no they'll take it more seriously than if I was moaning no don't do that stop no no all the time at them which could also make them unhappy and anxious

BumpingFuglies Tue 09-Apr-13 20:18:36

I said No at least 500 times today. Do I get a special award? grin

JollyPurpleGiant Tue 09-Apr-13 20:18:27

How do they respond, Honey? If my mother threatened to drop me into a gin bottle I'd be delighted grin

HoneyDragon Tue 09-Apr-13 20:14:47

Okaaaay. So basically we are speculating on what the op means, but the majority agree its to do with shit parenting?

In which case I'm out. I dye kids blue and threaten to drop them down gin bottles, so this I'd not the thread for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now