Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

AIBU to think that jamie oliver is

(33 Posts)
issey6cats Tue 09-Apr-13 14:17:36

only bring out a cheap money savings new book just to make him self more wonga, if he wanted to save people money the book would be free or available online

Cantbelieveitsnotbutter Tue 09-Apr-13 17:43:00

I don't think anyone can slate it until they've seen it, he said it would be £2/£3 a meal on this morning. So for that yabu.

I think he's fab, love his food and his homely family attitude. Hes made alot of money but given alot back. Genuinely comes across as a lovely guy.
even if I do think he's secretly funded by the olive oil mafia

Flossiechops Tue 09-Apr-13 17:42:37

twinkle the Ministry of Food book was about getting the basic recipes right, recipes many people on a budget would cook anyway. He does recommend organic meat/eggs but it's not necessary. I love that book and I'm crap at cooking!

twinklesparkles Tue 09-Apr-13 17:34:07

I've never minded a bit of jamie but let's be honest, his "cheap" food isn't really cheap is it? I just don't think budget food planning is his cuppa tea. He just doesn't seem to get it. I always here rave reviews about ministry of food... But yeah.. Those dishes wernt cheap to make.

Plus his liberal use of olive oil is starting to pee me off... Nothing wrong with olive oil, I love it. But he's just taking the beeswax now ! Lol grin

HazeltheMcWitch Tue 09-Apr-13 17:28:50

Jools is lovely, and I can't imagine that she'd be snobby or stuck up.

I'm another that begrudges Jamie nothing. He's a nice bloke by all accounts, that has 'made it' himself. There's no scandal on him. All he's done is understand how people thing about food - what they want to eat/why they don't cook/time pressures etc - and adapt his product to suit. All the while keeping his Fifteen programme going.

Plus he's had the balls to go out and talk about school dinners, obesity in the US etc - really unsexy issues; he could so easily have not bothered and had an easier life and made more money elsewhere.

TobyLerone Tue 09-Apr-13 17:22:32

That's his job hmm

YABU

tigerlilygrr Tue 09-Apr-13 17:18:10

Yabu. He has helped many many people, his books are good, and when I are at 15 the food was fricking delicious!

Flossiechops Tue 09-Apr-13 17:09:32

lovelygoldboots that's the best recipe book I've ever bought, I now make the mother of all Yorkshire pudding wink

PetiteRaleuse Tue 09-Apr-13 16:40:43

As much as I really hate watching him on TV YABU it is a legit business and his books have helped a lot of people cook better, including me. Saint Delia has done a frugal cookbook, why shouldn't Jamie?

arabesque Tue 09-Apr-13 16:33:52

There are loads of books out about frugal cooking, lots of them written by well known cooks, celebs and chefs. Why pick on Jamie?

Mrneedy Tue 09-Apr-13 16:25:27

Not many people in the public eye who are seemingly v rich can afford to do something for nothing
Jamie has a lot of businesses, a lot of different fingers in many pies, I think he needs money to roll in to keep it going

I like him, thought the school dinners thing was good, and giving back with the original 15 concept.

Lovelygoldboots Tue 09-Apr-13 16:23:40

I bought the ministry of food book from a charity shop ironically. It is really useful and has helped me be a bit more focused on getting the basics and meal planning. He does seem to understand that food is about mainly cooking tea for you and the family which a lot of tv chefs dont understand.

Bluegrass Tue 09-Apr-13 16:10:43

If that Tesco value range was really there to help people on a budget it would be free. Tesco has loads of money and don't need any more.

Doesn't really work does it OP?

DorcasDelIcatessen Tue 09-Apr-13 16:02:41

Jools is lovely. Very warm and friendly. Jamie is very generous both with time and money. My friend works with Jamie a lot and has spent time with them all as a family. He helped her when no one else would at a cost to himself. I see what he has done for her and now my friend has the skills to make her own way through life. He still keeps in touch with her and throws her new opportunities her way when he can. People can slate them all they want it really is like water off a ducks back to them. grin

Oh, I think Jamie's nice. He tries hard.

Why doesn't Tesco just give their food away? If they really cared about people they would. Why don't writers just give their books away? Why don't musicians just give their music away, etc, etc

Patchouli Tue 09-Apr-13 15:27:42

Jamie Oliver can't do anything wrong in my eyes.
I think he's great.

Flossiechops Tue 09-Apr-13 15:24:48

But bridget they always come across so smug nice on tv!

Coconutty Tue 09-Apr-13 15:24:00

Really, I thought she was supposed to be quite nice.

Bridgetbidet Tue 09-Apr-13 15:18:55

My husband used to work in a shop in Hampstead. His wife in particular had a reputation for being rude, entitled and treating people like shit, particularly other children who she didn't deem 'good enough' for her children. He wasn't much better.

Chipstick10 Tue 09-Apr-13 15:18:30

I had a dream about jamie Oliver last week, it was very....i can't look at him now blush

LayMizzRarb Tue 09-Apr-13 14:57:12

If you're trying to make ends meet, the last thing you'll be looking to buy is books. He is a jumped up little twerp, to put it mildly.if I want good Italian food, I will go to a restaurant that is run by Italians, not by someone who spent a few weeks touring the country.
Did anyone notice how he turned on the bad language for one of his series, then by the next it was gone?

Mondrian Tue 09-Apr-13 14:54:29

YABU - nothing is free in life.

Bowlersarm Tue 09-Apr-13 14:48:49

Of course YABU. He earns his living making up/researching new recipes, market them, and get paid for them. Why the hell should he do it for free?

TunipTheVegedude Tue 09-Apr-13 14:48:10

I read an interview in which Jamie explained how many people he now employs to do Jamie things so he has to make a certain amount of money a year just so they keep their jobs. I think he maybe needs to downsize.

He has written a book of money saving tips? How bizarre. Why would anyone buy that?
He needs to do a 'Jamie's Vegetarian' book and a 'Jamie teaches your kids to cook' books and tv series. Both of those would make far more sense.

But no, I don't think he should give his recipes away for free.

Flossiechops Tue 09-Apr-13 14:47:21
mrsjay Tue 09-Apr-13 14:47:13

see nobody needs to buy his book if they dont want too he has a website

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now