To hate being given house plants as gifts?

(19 Posts)
TeWiSavesTheDay Sat 06-Apr-13 20:19:42

This thread was a good reminder to actually water them though...

drjohnsonscat Sat 06-Apr-13 20:18:00

Agree. I have 2 DCs to keep alive and that's quite enough for me. Having to attend to a house plant just seems like a totally pointless extra chore. I got given a horrible poinsettia a couple of years ago and it's still going strong (can't definitively kill it as donor is regular visitor). Also hate being brought flowers. I know this makes me a total freak but I don't like them, don't like the smell (esp of lilies), don't like cleaning out the rotting water, don't like the way they clutter things up. I'm not even minimalist but I just want them out of the way.

Dfg15 Sat 06-Apr-13 20:05:41

I love houseplants - unfortunately I haven't got the space for too many. love em

susiey Sat 06-Apr-13 16:53:49

YANBU I hate having house plants I have enough people to care for I do not need anything else to remember!

They are nice in other people's houses but not mine they just die from neglect!

GraceSpeaker Sat 06-Apr-13 16:52:46

YANBU

It does imply that you care enough to care for them. I don't. Flowers preferable - at least then they die quickly and painlessly. Cacti have died while in my care (suicide).

Panzee Sat 06-Apr-13 16:45:46

I hate houseplants. I seem to have an abundance of flies when I have them.

gorionine Sat 06-Apr-13 16:42:30

I kill plants too but I still love receiving them!

TeWiSavesTheDay Sat 06-Apr-13 16:40:37

I am currently killing two massive spiky things that I gave to my parents and they gave back hmm

I like them but I really cannot cope with houseplants! They always die.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HavingALittleFaithBaby Sat 06-Apr-13 16:34:54

whois it's the guilt! A house plant is a gift that should last and I feel like a failure when they inevitably die confused At least with cut flowers they're expected to die..

WorraLiberty Sat 06-Apr-13 16:31:52

YANBU

Plants look at me and instantly die hmm

whois Sat 06-Apr-13 16:29:40

How many house plants do you get that this is actually a problem?

I'd much rather be given (and give!) a plant that lasts a few weeks or months before dying than cut flowers which last a few days.

trinity0097 Sat 06-Apr-13 15:30:03

I agree, I always kill them, so can I add, please don't give house plants to teachers as Xmas/end of term gifts unless you know that the teacher concerned has green fingers! I'd much rather have a small bunch of flowers than a plant!

DeskPlanner Sat 06-Apr-13 15:24:40

Bloody Strikethrough

DeskPlanner Sat 06-Apr-13 15:23:33

YANBU. I don't like indoor plants.--I'm aware that may make me odd.--

YABU I'd love a houseplant but can never justify buying one for myself. Plus a gift is a gift; its the thought that counts

ReluctantBeing Sat 06-Apr-13 15:16:33

I'd love to get a plant. Send them my way!

HavingALittleFaithBaby Sat 06-Apr-13 15:12:31

YANBU. Whenever someone gives me a plant I have to bite back Thanks, I'm sure I'll kill it in no time

CruCru Sat 06-Apr-13 15:10:40

They generally seem to come with instructions like "put in a bright, sunny spot and water three times a week". My house doesn't have a bright, sunny spot that isn't occupied by something else. And the plants always die, to the irritation of the giver.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now