friend said i treat DD as though she's terminally ill

(279 Posts)
princessj29 Fri 05-Apr-13 22:21:30

Later in the year we're going to Disneyland. DD, age 5, doesn't know yet and I was planning on hiring a Mickey costume for DH's friend to wear to deliver the tickets and some Disney goodies to announce the trip to DD. My friend said this 'special treatment' is ridiculous and that I treat DD like she's terminally ill by arranging things like this! I just wanted DD to have a lovely memory, that's all. She still totally believes that people dressed up are real characters and would be amazed by Mickey coming to the house. The suit only costs £10 to hire but she'll remember it forever- AIBU to think this is just a nice thing to do and that my friend was out of line?

TWinklyLittleStar Fri 05-Apr-13 22:23:13

Your "friend" is being a bitch really, isn't she. What an unnecessarily spiteful thing to say.

ThisIsMummyPig Fri 05-Apr-13 22:23:19

Of course its a nice thing to do. It's what makes childhood special. Go ahead and let her have some lovely memories.

delboysfileofax Fri 05-Apr-13 22:23:26

No, fuck her. that's a lovely idea and your child is very lucky. If I had the money I would so do that for my little boy

IfYouLeaveMeNow Fri 05-Apr-13 22:23:45

Ignore your friend, YANBU. Your daughter, your choice how you do things. Sounds great fun to me!

yaimee Fri 05-Apr-13 22:24:23

Your friend was out of line!
It's not something that I'd make a habit of but to make a special memory I think this is a lovely thing to do!

pjmama Fri 05-Apr-13 22:24:46

Your friend is a miserable bugger - ignore her.

Trazzletoes Fri 05-Apr-13 22:25:57

I'd say she is not really a friend and it sounds like she is jealous of your lovely holiday.

I hope DS enjoys the telling and the trip.

Remotecontrolduck Fri 05-Apr-13 22:25:57

It's a lovely thing to do! The fact it will be so special to her indicates she's not spoilt or anything and appreciates things.

Ditch the friend if she's usually like this, it's a really bitchy thing to say!

ChasedByBees Fri 05-Apr-13 22:26:02

That's a disgusting thing to say. It sounds like a lovely thing to do.

Trazzletoes Fri 05-Apr-13 22:26:18

DD, sorry.

ChestyNut Fri 05-Apr-13 22:26:30

Ignore her!

That's an awesome idea! Something special DD will always remember.

We're over in Florida now, it's fantabulous grin

AgentZigzag Fri 05-Apr-13 22:26:48

What a spiteful thing to say about you trying to do something nice for your DD, don't let her put a dampner on it for you both.

What did you say to her?

And when she says 'things like this' what other things is she thinking of?

MomaP Fri 05-Apr-13 22:27:19

Jealousy from your friend OP.

What a fantastic experience for your DD. grin enjoy!

currentbuns Fri 05-Apr-13 22:27:21

Is it Disneyland in America?

What an awful thing for her to say! Sounds like a lovely surprise that your dd would love

Dawndonna Fri 05-Apr-13 22:28:19

She's not a very nice friend is she. You go ahead, it sounds like fun.

HollyBerryBush Fri 05-Apr-13 22:29:10

Kind of depends if this is a one off thing or whether it is the end of a succession of things that would make your friend think that you helicopter and over indulge.

BackforGood Fri 05-Apr-13 22:29:28

Well, your friend was a bit er... blunt, but it does sound completely over the top, IMVHO.

somedayma Fri 05-Apr-13 22:29:50

what a horrible bitch. Do you think she's jealous maybe? Ugh nasty cow

SirBoobAlot Fri 05-Apr-13 22:31:08

What a vile thing to say! I'd suggest she isn't a real friend.

Have a lovely holiday.

Your 'friend' is an utter cunt. Drop her like a hot potato and only engage with people who can smile when you tell them your lovely plans.

MerylStrop Fri 05-Apr-13 22:31:57

Your friend is being absolutely out of order
(but you are perhaps being a teeny bit over the top, a teeny bit)

HungryClocksGoBackFourSeconds Fri 05-Apr-13 22:32:27

I'd do it.

She's being a cow, but really what can you do about it? Ignore her, don't let her ruin it for you.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Fri 05-Apr-13 22:32:55

That's a disgusting thing to say!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now