AIBU to not allow DD 18 to travel on her identical twins passport ?

(76 Posts)
seenitallbefore Thu 04-Apr-13 21:40:32

She is due to travel on Monday abroad with her uni sports team . She informed me an hour ago that she can't find her passport . All family frantically searching .DH and DD driving back to her halls now for further search . DD said as leaving that if she can't find it she will use her twins. Illegal I know. Don't even know why I am posting. She will need to miss the tour won't she ?

Coffeenowplease Fri 05-Apr-13 11:25:29

What sort of info is stored on the chip out of interest ? What kind of observations ?

Emsmaman Fri 05-Apr-13 11:17:17

As a person who is prone to losing things can I suggest you get your dd a safe box for her important documents- it took me until age 30 to do this and now I know where everything is! Especially once she starts working etc, she will need to be able to lay her hands on key docs likke education certs easily otherwise she might miss out on jobs!

livinginwonderland Fri 05-Apr-13 10:59:28

eh? i got my first adult passport a couple of years ago and i never got interviewed. just sent off a form and a photo and got it back.

Trazzletoes Fri 05-Apr-13 10:47:04

Ahhhhh now I've read the thread grin glad it has been found!

Trazzletoes Fri 05-Apr-13 10:40:09

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but presumably the Border agency will have the facility to check names against boarding passes or a list of who is on the coach. She won't be allowed to travel with someone else's passport!

Trazzletoes Fri 05-Apr-13 10:38:27

Fry you get interviewed for your first adult passport, regardless of whether or not you had one as a child.

You don't always get interviewed for a first passport. DD has just had hers, she's nearly 13. There was no interview and it was returned in a week. As she now has a passport, I'm not sure she'd be interviewed when she renews for her adult passport.

ILikeBirds Fri 05-Apr-13 10:25:39

UK passports do not contain biometric data such as fingerprints and iris scans although the new e passports have the facility to hold this data.

specialsubject Fri 05-Apr-13 10:09:27

this is called consequences, and is how she learns to be less careless. You may think princessy fluffiness is acceptable but passport control won't. She's 18, time for some life lessons.

she gets a new passport, or she doesn't go.

RevoltingPeasant Fri 05-Apr-13 09:50:07

How did she get a passport inside a printer? confused

Remotecontrolduck Fri 05-Apr-13 09:31:01

Glad it has been found!

My DD has been to France before on a coach and says she has had her passport carefully looked at by border control, especially on re-entry to the UK. Random checks on passengers are also carried out. So it is possible, even though there is a chance you'd get away with it.

Make sure you emphasize what an awful idea that was though, of it happens again and she's going further afield like the US..... Both her sister, and herself will be in huge trouble.

Hope she has a good trip!

MrsHoarder Fri 05-Apr-13 09:23:09

Good news. I would also like to point out that injuries mentioned earlier were minor: broken wrists and the like. Nothing to loose sleep over.

RubyGates Fri 05-Apr-13 08:14:02

Oh, Good News!

RubyGates Fri 05-Apr-13 08:13:18

If it's bus and ferry, it probably won't be noticed anyway. She could go with the "my mum keeps all the important documents in a drawer and I've picked up the wrong one routine" if they do notice, and it will PROBABLY be OK especially if she has a driving licence with her.

I know that my next-door neighbour and I ended up with each-other's passports and no-one noticed until we got back from our trip to France and we were only superficially similar (same height, build, hair and eye colour).

But It's not something I'd do deliberately.

whiteflame Fri 05-Apr-13 08:11:41

Glad it's found, but I would still be concerned that they both thought this was ok. More concerned for her sister really - she can't control what her twin does while overseas on her identity.

KittieCat Fri 05-Apr-13 07:31:42

Excellent news. I was on tenterhooks. Glad all is sorted and she can go without problems.

Hats off to your DH, too!

seenitallbefore Fri 05-Apr-13 06:46:35

Passport was found... Inside her printer at uni ! Thanks to you all for last nights advice .

SatsukiKusukabe Fri 05-Apr-13 03:22:25

what if your daughter got in trouble abroad? It would be under your other daughters name. also biometric passport means that she could get caught

sashh Fri 05-Apr-13 03:16:46

charlearose

That's because your passport is a replacement adult passport.

People are interviewed for their first passport. The chip on your passport will contain a digital version of your photo and personal data and any observations.

EllenParsons Fri 05-Apr-13 02:48:31

I'm an identical twin and no way would I do this! Tell her to go get herself a new passport on the express service. I did the one day service at the office in Victoria recently and it was really quick and stress free. I don't think it was too expensive either, maybe about £100?

Wouldn't bother me at all.

What a cool story to tell when you're old. Almost as good as "I shagged your boyfriend and he didn't notice" like phoebe and ursula in Friends grin

TheCraicDealer Fri 05-Apr-13 00:14:29

And MrsHoarder successfully shuts down any possibility of this being a parent-sanctioned scheme.....grin

MrsHoarder Fri 05-Apr-13 00:12:51

Uni sports team at Easter? Skiing/boarding? If it is I've expect at least 2-3 of those on the coach to need hospital treatment on the week (was club treasurer for a team). If that's your dd and her passport doesn't match her insurance she'll have a long wait for medical treatment and broken bones hurt.

LadyBeagleEyes Fri 05-Apr-13 00:00:42

Good question charlearose.
I haven't a clue either.

charlearose Thu 04-Apr-13 23:58:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now