Sick of having to be Politically Correct over nearly everything

(586 Posts)
SickofThisCountry Thu 04-Apr-13 01:47:44

Dont want to cause some big debate but is anyone else on here getting sick to the back teeth of having to watch their p's and q's through fear of offending every tom, dick and harry.

seeker Fri 05-Apr-13 08:19:46

There's a fab bit in Hitchhiker's Guide where a robot says something like "You will be revoked. That's K I L L E D- revoked."

BoulevardOfBrokenSleep Fri 05-Apr-13 08:21:37

Firstly, the Carlin rant is exaggerated for comic effect because, well, he's a comedian. "You can't even call these people handicapped anymore. They'll say, "Were not handicapped. Were handicapable!" These poor people have been bullshitted by the system into believing that if you change the name of the condition, somehow you'll change the condition."

Since no-one actually believes that, it's a comic exaggeration. Not an incisive debating point.

Other than that it's mostly an old fart's rant about how language changes. DH often has them - though largely railing against imported Americanisms. hmm

Lottashakingoinon Fri 05-Apr-13 08:22:39

grin seeker

BruthasTortoise Fri 05-Apr-13 08:30:38

Have skimmed through the whole thread and just want to add that I love political correctness, it's what is going to ensure that my DC can't be discriminated against because they come from a mixed religion family (we're in Northern Ireland) and its also going to ensure that my little niece who has ASD isn't going to be a labelled "naughty" or "weird". Have to say that I've never felt my free speech has been limited by political correctness but then even if there were no political correctness I can't imagine why I would want to offend people anyway.

Theshriekingharpy Fri 05-Apr-13 08:33:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BruthasTortoise Fri 05-Apr-13 08:37:10

Theshriekingharpy I think my DSis would propbably find it difficult to hear her child being referred to as a "a retard" or "a handicapp" and yes I think my DNiece would probably find it difficult too. It's not about not being able to deal with reality, the reality is the child has autism, not that she is anything else.

seeker Fri 05-Apr-13 08:37:38

So, harpy.

Nigger? Cripple? retard?

What else? How about poofter?

Are these the words you want to use?

Can you really not see the difference between words that governments and marketing people use to bullshit us, and an attempt to avoid using language that might make people feel diminished and marginalised?

FanjoForTheMammaries Fri 05-Apr-13 08:39:21

Well..I didnt love the idea of doing away with terms like learning disability and calling people like my DD "stupid".

hazeyjane Fri 05-Apr-13 08:45:23

Disabled people can't cope with reality? They need to be treated with kid gloves? Fobbed off, "bullshitted"?

No, treated with respect maybe, not talked 'about' as some sort of other to the rest of us

I've heard them called that. Differently abled! You can't even call these people handicapped anymore.

Jesus Christ these people, my son isn't these people and he isn't a cripple, and he probably doesn't even care what he is called, because he is young and he has learning difficulties (yes, that would be a retard to those who prefer 'grittier' language) - but that doesn't mean that words don't matter.

For Fucks Sake.

FanjoForTheMammaries Fri 05-Apr-13 08:50:05

Its a bit like bullying people to say they should be tough enough to cope with grittier terms and put up and shut up, IMO.

hazeyjane Fri 05-Apr-13 08:52:04

Goodness! In my haze of anger, I didn't even see the bit about not being able to call people stupid anymore!!

BruthasTortoise Fri 05-Apr-13 08:52:33

And don't you think using the phrase "grittier terms" is using "soft, evasive language"? Why not say "offensive terms" or "fucking horrible hurtful terms" if you want to get real about it all?

BoulevardOfBrokenSleep Fri 05-Apr-13 08:56:42

"So evasive, soft language should replace grittier terms because what?"

Because it's not nice to be rude to people? Surely that's a fairly basic tenet of social interaction? My 5yo seems to have mastered the concept.

Theshriekingharpy Fri 05-Apr-13 09:01:35

seeker Fri 05-Apr-13 09:04:32

"seeker Handicapable? Differently abled? Physically challenged? Are these terms you use? "

Nope. But neither does anyone else except people making fun of "political correctness"

BruthasTortoise Fri 05-Apr-13 09:05:12

I would have much more "respect" for people who hate political correctness if they would come out directly and say which words, expressions and terms they want to use to describe others but feel they can't because of political correctness. It would make it much easier to avoid them if they were open and honest rather than posting vague rants about "political correctness gorn maaaadddd"

Theshriekingharpy Fri 05-Apr-13 09:06:23

Lottashakingoinon Fri 05-Apr-13 09:10:05

I would have much more "respect" for people who hate political correctness if they would come out directly and say which words, expressions and terms they want to use to describe others but feel they can't because of political correctness. It would make it much easier to avoid them if they were open and honest rather than posting vague rants about "political correctness gorn maaaadddd"

You and Seeker are obviously of the same great mind Bruthas. She asked almost exactly the same question yesterday, though she called it a challenge (not getting at you for not spotting it: this thread is LOOOOONG) and sensible answer came there none.

Theshriekingharpy Fri 05-Apr-13 09:10:32

FanjoForTheMammaries Fri 05-Apr-13 09:15:49

Autism often goes along with a learning disability. Still doesn't make the R word acceptable.

Lottashakingoinon Fri 05-Apr-13 09:19:19

How else do you suggest I distinguish between "able-bodied" individuals and disabled folk? Ffs

Well for starters you could stop talking about disabled folk as though you were talking about a Radio 4 soap opera and a homeogeneous monolith with no other characteristics other than that they are disabled and start talking about people with disabilities. I imagine this may sound like PCGM but I think it's just a basic demonstration of courtesy and respect for individuality<channels self from about 12 hours ago. Needs to get out more>

seeker Fri 05-Apr-13 09:22:53

"Seeker, only folk I've heard these patronising designations emanate from are the politically correct contingent."

I would put money on you not actually having heard them at all. Oh, except possibly "physically challenged". I've heard that one too, I think.

FanjoForTheMammaries Fri 05-Apr-13 09:23:26

"politically correct contingent"

AKA kind thoughtful people.

seeker Fri 05-Apr-13 09:27:19

"Politically correct" - or as we politically correct people like to say "polite".

M0naLisa Fri 05-Apr-13 09:28:07

Yes and not on here. In RL too. Pisses me off!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now