To feel scared that there is something huge and scary up in the loft

(57 Posts)
Shelly32 Wed 03-Apr-13 20:51:12

Since Christmas I've heard loud scrabbling at night over our bedroom. DH thought it may have been a bird. I didn't and convinced him to put a mouse and rat trap up there. Today while near the loft, whatever is up there loudly banged/scrabbled/trampled over the loft hatch. DH came hoe and checked the traps. Both have been set off and emptied of chocolate (no jokes about the Easter bunny being up there please) and I'm thinking that there has to be something pretty huge up there to set off a rat trap and not get caught in it. Should I get the exterminators in or is that a no brainer...

cherrycarpet Thu 04-Apr-13 08:40:46

Poor you. I'm afraid to say it could be rats. We have just moved out of a rented house and it had rats living in the dormer attic. We caught 15 in five months - horrendous. They were huge and made an unbelievable amount of noise - particularly at night. Running, jumping and gnawing. We also found that they'd started chewing through some electric wires so apart from health concerns they can be a fire hazard too!

I would contact pest control via the council and get them to come and have a look asap. If it is rats you need to get rid of them asap before they become an established colony. They are very clever creatures and we couldn't find out where they were getting in/out of attic. Even had the rat man stumped! Needless to say it caused a lot of stress and we're glad to have moved on from that place. Good luck with sorting it out.

OP has gone quiet. Do you think the attic zombies got her in the night?

alarkthatcouldpray Thu 04-Apr-13 09:02:09

Can I recommend you don't read Tans French's Broken Harbour until the problem is sorted? A very scary novel with this theme!

BatmanLovesVodkaAndCherryade Thu 04-Apr-13 10:03:14

We had rats at school, noisy little sods in the walls of my classroom envy They were fed warfarin and oozed to death. Had to clear their leaky bodies away every morning before school for about a week envy envy

Rofling at CarpeVinum's 'Walking Deaf'...

valiumredhead Thu 04-Apr-13 10:39:36

It'll be a rat or a mouse - they both sound like the roof is falling in they make SO much noise. Traps and poison is the way to go, at least 5 traps and lots of poison.

Shelly32 Thu 04-Apr-13 10:41:14

Haha! Some of these posts have made me laugh!!
Snowme I'm worried that if there is a big rat/squirrel up there, it'll do more damage to the cat than the other way round. Vet bills on top of Rentakill bills don't sound too attractive!
Carpevinum Seen lots of the attic themed horrors and yup, they've been running through my mind! Re; traps, I never thought about severed tails/paws...
DH is going for a proper look around this evening to see if he can find any droppings ...fingers crossed they are not Christopher Eccleston sized!!

Shelly32 Thu 04-Apr-13 20:40:25

Thank you for all the good advice!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now