..to think there should be a facebook style "like" button on Mumsnet??

(48 Posts)
oaks2012 Wed 03-Apr-13 18:38:15

I read a lot more on mumsnet than I post.. And this is probably the only place on the internet that really makes me laugh..

I find my sarcy comments never go down very well on facebook (or in real life may I add) - yet this place is full of comments much, much wittier than anything I could come up with.. And I would just like to be able to hit a little like button under the comment to show my appreciation, as I dont feel I can add to a thread: "mumsnetusername that was really funny and made everyone in the room look over at me because I snorted like a pig" everytime something makes me "laugh out loud"..

redlac Wed 03-Apr-13 18:40:51

I'd vote for that ONLY if there was a Dislike Button and You're Talking Shite button

EdithWeston Wed 03-Apr-13 18:42:02

AAAAGGGGHHHHHHH

NOT AGAIN

Why won't this idea, rejected so many times, JUST GO AWAY.

(I don't often shout, and do actually rejoice at the cyclical repetitiveness of some posts being a feature of the site. But this is just too much, really, please no, never again, WIBBLE)

I would hate that, people will just 'like' instead of posting their own view, its a chat forum and a like button would detract from that imo.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Wed 03-Apr-13 18:43:18

Oaks, post what you said - that would be just great!

LineRunner Wed 03-Apr-13 18:45:20

oaks, just post a post on the thread.

MissAnnersley Wed 03-Apr-13 18:45:51

I need the You're talking shite button today.

Otherwise no thanks to the like button.

Anyone can hit a Like button. You wouldn't sit in a bar and do a silent Thumbs Up every time someone said something funny or that you agreed with.

Joining in, even with a grin or 'I agree' fits MN much better than anonymous and easy Liking.

Still18atheart Wed 03-Apr-13 18:46:44

I like that idea.

but there be a dislike button too

redlac Wed 03-Apr-13 18:46:46

The You're Talking Shite button would be well used over the last couple of days

mmmuffins Wed 03-Apr-13 18:48:48

No.

usualsuspect Wed 03-Apr-13 18:50:45

Just use a grin on the thread if someone makes you laugh

ShowOfHands Wed 03-Apr-13 18:51:37

No, no and thrice no.

Use your words OP.

And no to quoting while we're at it. Or anything else new.

"Poster X makes a smashing point"

"I'm inclined to agree with poster y's super post"

For example.

ShowOfHands Wed 03-Apr-13 18:52:47

And here's how to quote a poster...

"ShowOfHands, Every Day

Bono is a twat"

True story Showy.

JambalayaCodfishPie Wed 03-Apr-13 18:52:58

I thought it'd be a good idea when I first joined. Then, after many (many many, sorry) threads about it, I realise it probably wouldn't work, and would stunt conversational flow.

Also, there are some real twats on here who would really get off on seeing how many likes their 'amazing, hilaire' comments got.

oaks2012 Wed 03-Apr-13 18:54:00

BeerTricksPotter - I now want to do a silent thumbs up when someone says something I find funny. Its creepy. I want to make my friends feel awkward by doing something creepy.......... smile

Do it! grin

oaks2012 Wed 03-Apr-13 18:58:33

<silently thumbs up at screen>

zwischenzug Wed 03-Apr-13 18:59:33

On other forums with similar features I've witnessed how posters who get a lot of 'likes' let it go to their head, and use their status and online 'reputation' go round talking utter factually inaccurate bollocks whilst the majority of the forum members just accept it unquestioningly. One good thing about this forum is that everybody is more or less equal and correct but unpopular views cannot simply be written off with a bunch of 'dislikes' and popular but idiotic views voted up.

MardyBra Wed 03-Apr-13 19:01:38

I say no to Like Button because:

a) It would turn MN into a popularity contest and everyone would like Hecate's posts

b) It would discourage actual posting and debate

c) It's lazy

d) I fucking hate the Facebook mentality

MardyBra Wed 03-Apr-13 19:02:15

e) It would lead to even more of a ganging-up mentality on AIBU thread.

MardyBra Wed 03-Apr-13 19:02:47

f) Posters whose comments are not liked would get upset.

MardyBra Wed 03-Apr-13 19:03:19

g) I would rather people said why they like a post.

Ledkr Wed 03-Apr-13 19:03:26

I don't get the like thing tbh. Since when do we have to tell everyone we like something. What's wrong with just liking something internally!!!

hedgefund Wed 03-Apr-13 19:04:19

like the daily mail website? though that was hated on here today

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now