Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think that sanitary towels/tampons should be free?

(144 Posts)
marjproops Tue 02-Apr-13 16:59:09

I mean, we cant help having periods, it happens, nothing we can do about it. 9apart from the pill or a couple of other methods to restrict/stop them, but generally.....

its like with babies theres the choice of pampers (still expensive) or the old fashioned terrys, (and they eventually grow and dont need them any more)but periods cant be helped.

i know there are the cheap supermarket normal flow ones but for heavier the cheapest i could find today was a pack of 10 for £1.99.(and this was in asda) and I get a lot of periods, every few days.

if not entirely free then what?

marjproops Tue 02-Apr-13 17:30:15

mooncup? er no thanx. not for me.

point taken about bog roll and stuff, nothing like that should be expensive.

i did ask for alternative suggestions.

GP cant do anyhting about my 'flow',btw. ive had present lot non-stop since Jan this year. long story.

or as someone said at least on prescription. or vat free.

i just know, apart from me a number of women who have frequent hevies and it ends up costing a small fortune.

incidentally i also have allergies to most pads, something in the material so can only wear the one make.

was just a wonderment.......

SarahStratton Tue 02-Apr-13 17:31:41

They should most definitely NOT be taxed. FGS it's archaic paying VAT on bloody sanpro.

gingeme Tue 02-Apr-13 17:32:34

mooncup, mooncup, mooncup , mooncup mooncup, mooncup
grin

PhyllisDoris Tue 02-Apr-13 17:32:58

You could always go back to using rags and a safety pin, and wash them out each night. hmm

MrsHoarder Tue 02-Apr-13 17:34:28

Have you been bothering your GP, that doesn't sound right and I was given hormones to sort my cycle out after a month of bleeding, let alone 3. Make sure they know how long this has been going on for. If the first one is unhelpful ask to see another.

Theicingontop Tue 02-Apr-13 17:34:30

Then I definitely think you should look into washable pads, OP. They're a lifesaver for people with allergies to the chemicals in disposable pads and tampons.

iZombie Tue 02-Apr-13 17:34:43

I agree that there should be zero VAT on the damn stuff. It's a ridiculous notionsad

Awizardsstaffhasaknobontheend Tue 02-Apr-13 17:35:00

Could we have free glasses and dental care first please before we start on sanpro! How about men and shaving? What about soap for washing. YABTotallyunreaslisticandU.

hugoagogo Tue 02-Apr-13 17:35:23

YABU

Reusables might work out cheaper for you and are certainly more comfortable.

I made my own, for very little money, so even cheaper. I haven't spent one penny on sanitary protection (confused why do they call the that?) since 2005.

mooncups are uncomfortable and leak ime.

what are the alternatives?

foreverondiet Tue 02-Apr-13 17:36:20

Yabu!

I haven't bought any sanitary protection for 10 years.... Apart from some post natal sanitary towels.

First I had a mooncup which is. One off purchase, then I got a mirena (paid for by nhs) and so no more periods!

Does seem ironic for me that pull ups for my 7 year old cuts me £££ but medication to stop night time wetting us free....

InNeedOfBrandy Tue 02-Apr-13 17:36:44

I think they should, if they give away condoms for free they should give away tampons and pads.

PeachActiviaMinge Tue 02-Apr-13 17:38:01

Quick search Directgov Epetitions found this which calls for sanitary protection to be VAT free but only has 2 signatures. Perhaps instead of complaining here try making a difference by signing it?

marjproops Tue 02-Apr-13 17:39:03

okay okay okay!!!!!!smile

Flobbadobs Tue 02-Apr-13 17:40:45

Mooncup overload there? grin

marjproops Tue 02-Apr-13 17:40:52

brandy thanx.you're right.

although there are reasonable points about bog rolls and stuff.

juniper9 Tue 02-Apr-13 17:42:40

Did you know tax on sanitary and maternity pads is 5%, but on incontinence pads it's 0%?

The stuff you learn...

(link)

marjproops Tue 02-Apr-13 17:43:55

peachjust went to sign that petition (didnt know it existed btw, did anyone else?).
maybe we could all do that?

MrsHoarder Tue 02-Apr-13 17:43:59

Brandy they give away condoms in the hope to save on unwanted pregnancies, not so people can have fun sex. Obviously anyone sensible will only have fun sex with protection but there are plenty who might save on protection and then cost the state a fortune in pregnancy costs.

If women don't wear "san pro" then the only damage is to our own clothing, much less of a public issue.

SW1XMother Tue 02-Apr-13 17:45:14

Buy a mooncup.

Would you use a sponge? You wont be allergic to them as they are chemical free and you can re-use.

I found they made my periods lighter and less painful too, weirdly.

sydlexic Tue 02-Apr-13 17:45:54

I think all of my clothes should be free, I am not allowed to walk around naked or will be arrested.

motherhen1949 Tue 02-Apr-13 17:46:48

You could always use moss confused or a cork

McNewPants2013 Tue 02-Apr-13 17:47:45

I think disposable pads and tampons are a luxury.

Mooncups and other reusable products are available and will pay for themselves after a few months.

Flobbadobs Tue 02-Apr-13 17:47:56

Signed the petition.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now