To start a benefits "myth busting" thread so that I can link the thickos of Facebook to it

(492 Posts)
MarmaladeTwatkins Tue 02-Apr-13 15:33:24

When they start moaning about how people on benefits can afford diamond shoes and other such items.

I'll start.

1. Housing benefit is mostly paid out to WORKING people. So all of this talk of going out and getting a job and buying their own home if they don't like the bedroom tax is a flawed argument.

Viviennemary Tue 02-Apr-13 23:34:26

What about this cap on housing benefit. Doesn't the Queen count. Can we all have £5m a year pay rise. My expenses have gone up too this year.

flurp Tue 02-Apr-13 23:35:21

Not everyone living in social housing is on benefits.
Not everyone on benefits is a scrounger or a benefit cheat!

Isabeller Wed 03-Apr-13 00:29:12

Firstly maisie, are you near Croydon (you said you were involved in the riots, or did you say you were 'up north' - long thread & tired eyes)? I would be interested in your building work if you still need someone. I need more work and know other people who do too.

Secondly since there are some very distressed posters upset about paying for other people's benefits can anyone reassure them by suggesting what they could pay for instead. My taxes can go to benefits, yours can go to UK citizens who lose money in Cyprus bank accounts, export guarantees, enterprise zones and child protection social workers. UK taxpayers do loads of stuff with the intention of making our country a better place to live, there must be some of it you agree with.

lemonmuffin Wed 03-Apr-13 18:00:17

Oh Penelopee, what fabulously articulate points you make.

I am in awe and barely know how to answer them. Not.

YouTheCat Wed 03-Apr-13 18:03:33

confused

Dawndonna Wed 03-Apr-13 18:04:52

Sorry Lemonmuffin I missed your erudite and articulate post, perhaps you'd point me in the right direction.

lemonmuffin Wed 03-Apr-13 20:16:01

RTFT dawn.

NicholasTeakozy Wed 03-Apr-13 21:26:06

I agree with Saskia, there are some on MN who appear to be astroturfers. They only post on threads like this to put the neoliberal view. You don't see them on normal non political threads.

PeneloPeePitstop Wed 03-Apr-13 21:32:20

Do you have a definition for astroturfer? New one on me...

TKKW Wed 03-Apr-13 21:34:50

People who "sign on" (job seekers) are not necessarily getting money for nothing. Some people just get pension credits and aren't able to get weekly money as their partners/ spouses work 16 hr+ per week.

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 03-Apr-13 21:38:21

Ahem.

Theicingontop Wed 03-Apr-13 22:04:18

"Foreigners come over here pretending they want work, then just sit on their arses and watch the dole come in"

Genuine comment from BIL.

A quick google confirms that he's deluded, and in actual fact for a migrant worker to be eligible to claim Jobseeker's Allowance, they need to prove they've been in continuous employment for 52 weeks!

YouTheCat Wed 03-Apr-13 22:08:37

Lemon, had you RTFT you would know that Dawn has commented aplenty on this thread and had already RTFT.

hth

OxfordBags Wed 03-Apr-13 22:11:03

Great article from Ricky Tomlinson on benefits myths:
www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/apr/02/ten-lies-told-about-welfare

PeneloPeePitstop Wed 03-Apr-13 22:15:28
SaskiaRembrandtVampireHunter Thu 04-Apr-13 14:01:06

PeneloPeePitstop Wiki entry for astroturfing en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astroturfing

Isabeller Thu 04-Apr-13 17:55:40

Wow that is incredibly interesting Saskia this Mumsnet thing is an education smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now