To scream at the next person who says they'd sort her sleep ??

(59 Posts)
Softlysoftly Mon 01-Apr-13 22:43:20

Dd2 is 10 months she's a fucking awful sleeper. Did pick up put down in Jan and achieved only 3 wakings a night. 4 wks on and she gets a cold back to square 1 of needing feeding/resettling every 45m to 2 hrs max all night. Even if Co sleeping which I am trying to stop as I'm getting too tired for it to be safe and though I love it I did it scary.

Only about v3 occasions have a I had help, in all this time I've had 1 night where I've had more than 4 hrs of unbroken sleep and that was sat upright on a chair with her on my lap. I feel like a fuckibg awful useless mother as the dds are wonderful in the day yet come bedtime we end up in a mess. Last night I had 2 hrs sleep in total, tonight I have been horrible to dd1 and let dd2 scream and bang her head on the cot as I bury my head in a pillow for 5 minutes just to get a grip to carry on.

And yet knowing this wtaf do several people in mylife think saying smugly "leave her with me 1 night I'll sort her out, shell sleep for me" including mil, bil....

pollypandemonium Tue 02-Apr-13 11:04:12
Emilythornesbff Tue 02-Apr-13 11:06:42

Narmada
Agree.

houseworkhater Tue 02-Apr-13 11:30:42

What a nightmare op.

Can I suggest a white noise tape. I had one for my dd. If I had it now I would post it to you. I can't remember the name of it but they must still sell them. It was so long ago now that it actually was a tape and not a cd.

It was just noise, but it did make my baby calm, Lord knows how but it did. Perhaps it was saying in baby talk "shut the f* up now and get to sleep!"

I used to go in and talk to my baby then play the tape. Sometimes I would have to go in again and play it again but I would definately recommend it.

On the positive side my terrible sleeping baby is now a 16 year old good sleeper. she doesn't need a lot of sleep though, so I think there is truth in saying not all baby's need lots of sleep.

Good luck.

reneaa2 Tue 02-Apr-13 11:46:39

I stopped telling people about how bad ds slept and now nobody even asks (he's 22 months and still wakes at night, although we are working on it).

I got fed up of advise and I got fed up if hearing how well other babies slept and the tiredness+jealousy of good sleepers was very bad!

I sort of lied at first when they asked and said we were 'working in it and hoped it would improve soon'.

After I stopped talking about it I actually felt less tired as I think I resigned myself to broken nights instead of being anxious about changing things.

I hope you feel less tired soon!

munchkinmaster Tue 02-Apr-13 12:17:46

Agree about the intolerance testing.
Hold a metal bar????
You could just send me a £20 note and I'll take a guess.......

MandragoraWurzelstock Tue 02-Apr-13 12:24:13

I will gloss over the thing about digestive issues as I'm no use on that stuff, but fwiw from your OP it sounds like you feel a failure for having a child who doesn't sleep all night at 10 months.

This is totally NORMAL.

Sleep will come. It is often better to relax your expectations, grit your teeth and get on with it as best you can, than to get involved in any sort of fight with a not-sleeping baby (I mean a fight in terms of training, complaining to others about it, feeling rubbish about it etc)

People will just say crap like that if you mention it like it's a problem

People always ask me here, 'is he good' meaning I think 'does he sleep' and frankly no he doesn't sleep at convenient times because most babies don't.
and he's a baby.

So I just say 'well he is doing his best'. It's true, he is, and he is doing what babies do and that's fine because it will pass - keep your little one as near as feasible, at night especially - put the cot by the bed etc - this minimises you having to get up to them, if co sleeping isn't working for you.

It will pass. Ignore the fuckers smile

Emilythornesbff Tue 02-Apr-13 12:27:20

grin at munchkin

Good point mandragora

NumericalMum Tue 02-Apr-13 21:50:37

Please do investigate dairy intolerance! I had to beg my GP to refer us to a paed promising we would get BUPA to pay. It changed our lives, but like you I was poo-pooed so much I ended up waiting til she was 2. One of my biggest regrets! Take care!

cheeseandbiscuitsplease Tue 02-Apr-13 22:00:00

I can completely sympathie. I have 2 gorgeous dc's but neither of them great sleeper. Little fella is 7 and slept through 5 times, little girl is 3 and has slept through about 6 times. We all end up co sleeping and we have even bought a super king bed so at least we've all got a bit of room. It's hard work, I tried everything with both of them. Couldn't listen to them cry - yes I''m probably soft but I can't help but remember my sons words when he was about 3 when he said he wanted to be with me and daddy and not on his own smile makes sense really. I don't care what people say . We wake up much more rested than we did before with constant back and forth, crying etc. it's not ideal I guess and not everyone's cup
Of tea but it won't be forever and they start off in their own beds so I generally get 4 hours sleep before they come through. Do what works for you. I just couldn't go on battling and I didn't give up easily like people assume I did. I've had almost 8 years of interrupted sleep now. It's not easy and only people who have been in the same boat understand.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now