OK..Here goes..should I have let him in ??

(62 Posts)
bizzey Mon 01-Apr-13 19:32:51

Sorry ..thread title is not as exciting as what it really is !...but my Mum has really upset (and worried me) on her opinion on this ....

Last week I said goodbye to my son at the door as he went to school at 7.30am..

I am still in pj's and early morning mess and go into kitchen to put kettle on for another dose of caffine ...door knocks....I opened the door (without checking) expecting ds to be there ....I even had my silly face on ready to say "what have you forgotten ".....

No ..it was a meter reading man showing his badge ...but without my glasses on it was a blur..

I said I would get them ...closed the door and then came back and gave him the numbers(quickly grabbing a cardigan)....I gave them (through the security chain)!

My mum said I was very "rude" not to have let the poor man in and to close the door on him was awful confused

What would you have done at that time in the morning ...?

DoJo Fri 05-Apr-13 00:47:20

I think you can refuse, but they have to check your meter every so often to ensure that the readings you submit are accurate, than it hasn't been tampered with and that there are no safety issues. It isn't actually the energy companies themselves that check them though - it's a separate entity who check all meters rather than just those of particular customers.

valiumredhead Thu 04-Apr-13 12:00:55

I don't let meter readers in at all so as far as I am concerned YANBU.

ImperfectPirouette Thu 04-Apr-13 11:52:06

OP you definitely need to talk to your Mum about who she opens the door to. My grandparents house was robbed by someone who claimed to be from the water company: he had my Grandad go upstairs to flush the loo & run the bathroom taps under some pretence (I think something to do with water pressure) & used the time it took (it was in the last year of his life when his heart was slowly giving up so he had gone from being incredibly spry & active to incredibly frail & slow-moving) to swipe what he could. Your local police might be able to provide you with some information leaflets/guidelines: it sounds as though she'd be willing to listen to what the police have to say.

thebody Thu 04-Apr-13 09:54:41

Op you need to talk to your mother about keeping herself safe.

You were right and she was wrong.

In the late 80s I remember a prolific rapist being jailed. He always struck around 8 till 9am as women were more likely to he off guard at these times rather than the evening.

Tell her she should not be lecturing you but look to her own safety.

phantomnamechanger Thu 04-Apr-13 09:52:58

But you get fake emails and texts too - I had one just yesterday supposedely from paypal about suspicious use on our account - load of crap but dangerous to the naive! Looked kosher, but when I checked the paypay site there was FAQs and it was not a genuine email cos of the wording - i forwarded it to them

what about the 1000s of people who dont have computer or mobiles? the vulnerable old people being prime examples?

RevoltingPeasant Thu 04-Apr-13 09:49:34

Oh, but I agree you should be able to refuse - I never have, but you should be able to.

RevoltingPeasant Thu 04-Apr-13 09:48:58

phantom - well, email or text then. I think utility cos make pretty tidy profits out of us and loads of places use text message alerts now - hospitals, banks, hairdresser's - I'm sure they could manage!

phantomnamechanger Thu 04-Apr-13 09:48:44

RP- also, if you think about it, whats to stop ANYONE shoving fake cards through doors then going round saying THEY are the meter reader and must be let in? "didn't you get the card love?"

Or whats to stop someone thinking Oooh great, the meter readers are out this week then, so I'll try pretending to be one and get some poor old lady to let me in and see if I can find her life savings while she gets me a glass of water.

warned or not, expected or not, ID or not, the occupier STILL should have the right to refuse entry and send the reading online or write it down.

my gas meter is outside, and my leccy one is just inside the front door, i rarely refuse entry unless they come amidst complete bedlam.

but ywnbu op, i would have done the same in your situation.

phantomnamechanger Thu 04-Apr-13 09:42:56

RP - because they would have to pay twice as much (which gets passed on to us)- once to get the cards delivered, once to go back and do the readings (and again as half the people are out/too busy)

phantomnamechanger Thu 04-Apr-13 09:41:33

I told one guy that it wasn't convenient and he was really pissed off and said "FFS do you think I'm going to attack you or something?"

That's outrageous, and I hope you reported him.
any half decent man would not say that, however frustrating their job was.

RevoltingPeasant Thu 04-Apr-13 09:38:44

Genuinely don't understand why they can't tell you in advance. Just a card through the door saying 'we will try to read your meter this week' or 'in the next fortnight'.

Why would that be a problem???

MusicalEndorphins Thu 04-Apr-13 09:27:35

grin
If only the internet existed years ago, I could have sent them that clip!

MsTakenidentity Wed 03-Apr-13 13:16:41
MusicalEndorphins Wed 03-Apr-13 13:06:21

PS. Maybe your mother would like you to be as friendly as my 2 girlfriends. A guy came around selling vacumn cleaners, they offered him a beer, one thing led to another and he didn't leave until the next day.

MusicalEndorphins Wed 03-Apr-13 13:04:09

I refused to let the fire dept in many years ago. (It was about 36 years ago!) I lived alone (with my baby son) in a house divided into several apartments/flats. One day I got a knock on my door. I asked who it was, and then went to a window and looked outside. I asked in a very suspicious voice "Where's your truck?" I then heard them laughing. blush Anyways, I got their ID numbers and names and called the fire dept. and checked before I opened the door. I don't even remember what they were there for, probably a check of the smoke alarm or something...although that does seem kind of unusual!

Enfyshedd Tue 02-Apr-13 06:57:57

The only time I've known a meter reader to come around where I live now was when DD was 3mo (I work in an office, DP works from home so he deals with it all). He allowed the meter reader to check the electric meter by the front door, but refused to let him come downstairs to check the gas meter because the cupboard is above the sofa where I was at that time BFing DD, so not really convenient for a total stranger to take a peek! Other than that, I've always checked their ID, then let them in - although in my old home the meters were right next to the front door.

TheFallenNinja Tue 02-Apr-13 06:36:08

Nothing wrong with safety first

MusicalEndorphins Tue 02-Apr-13 06:34:00

No, you were not rude, and I am sure he didn't think that you were either.

Maggie111 Mon 01-Apr-13 23:25:58

I let the meter reader in, he always comes round early - I presume catching people before work.

But I would not be happy if he knocked at 7.30! shock

You are not rude to not let him him - no matter the time of day. It is your house and if it's that important your meter got read the Head Office can arrange an appointment so you can be prepared and feel safe. I understand why they don't do that - but you're not rude to deny them access to your home in other circumstances!

DoJo Mon 01-Apr-13 22:58:38

Meter readers don't always contact you first - at least I've never been contacted by one but they are definitely legit as the next bill from energy company has mentioned it. I would have let him in, but then I'm just as likely to be in my PJs with crap everywhere at 3 in the afternoon so you can't go by my standards!

FannyFifer Mon 01-Apr-13 22:41:04

I really don't like letting meter readers in when I am alone in the house.

I told one guy that it wasn't convenient and he was really pissed off and said "FFS do you think I'm going to attack you or something?"
I said no its just not convenient and he went away moaning.

minicreamegg Mon 01-Apr-13 22:39:27

This happened to me last week, I had a screaming ill baby on my hip, 2 large dogs barking mental behind me and he still wanted to come inhmm. I asked him if he could come back and then I said infant I'll phone my reading in. He replied "well it's just I've got to read so many in one day" I felt terrible as it was near 5pm on a Friday. It is the 1st time I've said no tho.

midastouch Mon 01-Apr-13 22:32:18

I did this same thread not so long ago. Personally i think YANBU its your home yoou dont have to let anyone in

Cherriesarelovely Mon 01-Apr-13 22:27:20

I can't bear people coming round to do this....I know it's their job, no offence to the meter readers themselves but I find it such an imposition. Also my cupboard is piled high with junk. I don't feel comfortable inviting strangers into my house either. Thank goodness I now get an email request for a meter reading which I email back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now