To be really fed up that I cannot be a bf support worker

(162 Posts)
ariane5 Sun 31-Mar-13 21:52:15

I have had a tough time lately and have been thinking over last few days of something I could or aim to do to change my life and give me a bit of purpose.

Somebody I know is a bf support worker at the local hosp/bf group in childrens centre.I thought it sounded like a lovely job an started to think I might be ablr to do something like that as bf dd1 till she was 4, ds1 till he was 2.5, dd2 tillshe was 2 and currently bf ds2 11m so have loads of experience.

I thought maybe I could arrange to volunteer and get dh to perhaps change his hours (work flexible) to help me with dcs as they have health issues and enable me to get out and do something worthwhile that might cheer me up/get me out/help people etc etc.

Started to have a look at what is required etc and if there are any courses you need to do.

Then I saw you need a clean criminal record. I do not have one as in 2008 my horrible sister argued with me and said vicious things, when I slapped her (I know I shouldn't have) she phoned 999 and had me arrested so I have a caution for common assaultsad

It will stop me volunteering to be a bf support worker won't it. I'm so fed up I just wanted to get out of the house and do something worthwhile for a couple of hours a week.
I'm so fed up. AIBU or is it my own fault anyway sad

ariane5 Tue 02-Apr-13 10:48:17

But if that is the case at one pre school I assume it would be the same at all others? That would mean dd2 could not attend ANY of them sad just because I have a caution.

I don't know what to do

LIZS Tue 02-Apr-13 10:51:52

It is unlikely to preclude you as a one-off. Otherwise at some point presumably your dd will qualify for a statement and may have her own trained LSA. You can't just ignore it, Ofsted may well ask when they next visit.

Rainbowinthesky Tue 02-Apr-13 10:52:36

But you don't know that. No one at the preschool has asked you so there is no problem unless you tell them. If they do want to check you, you can then tell them and there is a good chance as they know and obviously already trust you, that it won't matter.

ariane5 Tue 02-Apr-13 10:57:40

They don't check parents who stay short term to settle dcs in and there is a parents rota where parents attend 1 session every so often just to be with their child and as far as I know there is no check for that.

I am staying with dd2 for the time being untill the staff can deal with her needs and administer treatments and untill I am happy to leave her so no idea how long it will go on for I just can't risk it being the case that they say no I can't stay as for at least the next few months I know I will need to, possibly longer I'm really not sure.

If they ask then obviously I will have to be checked.

LIZS Tue 02-Apr-13 11:00:15

As long as you are not one-to -one with another child then you are probably ok for now in that set up but you need to be under the supervision of someone who is checked.

ariane5 Tue 02-Apr-13 11:03:49

The room is very small and always other members of staff there.

Sometimes I am on an activity table with dd and one or two other children but still within that supervised environment.

Pandemoniaa Tue 02-Apr-13 11:17:01

I think you may be worrying too much here. Staying at pre-school to help with your dd's medical needs is quite different to working as a volunteer or counsellor. You are not there to work with other children, you are only there because the staff cannot yet administer your own child's treatments. I'd really not do, or say anything at all at the moment since nobody has suggested you need a CRB check for what you are currently doing.

ariane5 Wed 03-Apr-13 13:38:08

I have been in touch with the local voluntary services centre. They were lovely to me, I explained about wanting at some point to volunteer but that I have a caution for 5yrs ago-explained it was to do with an argument with a sibling but didn't elaborate further.

The lady I spoke to said it shouldn't stop me volunteering, that I may be asked about it but it shouldn't be an issue.

Feeling loads better now, they were really positive so hipefully when things at home are more settled I can look into bf support work properly or see if there's anything else I may be able to do depending on how dcs are.

Rainbowinthesky Wed 03-Apr-13 15:42:22

Hurrah for you. Well done. (Smile).

Rainbowinthesky Wed 03-Apr-13 15:43:03

smile

ariane5 Wed 03-Apr-13 16:00:36

Thankyou.Really pleased, it will be good at some point to do something different.

Def going to look into driving lessons in meantime as that will also be a big help.
I just want to try and get things in some sort of order and make things better if possible (or just a bit easier!) For dcs.Then fingers crossed I can have a bit of time to pursue something for myself and get out of the house!

musicposy Fri 05-Apr-13 23:51:12

That sounds really positive - hope it goes well for you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now