...to wish retailers would just look out the fecking window?

(193 Posts)
somewherewest Sat 30-Mar-13 19:18:09

...inspired by our local branch of Jojo Maman Tres Expensif*, which is chocca with sunhats and swimwear despite the fact its fecking -5 outside. Seriously? There were icicles overhanging their beachwear window display last week.

*I realise this immediately discloses the fact that we're not in Toxteth or Brixton

Lockedout434 Wed 03-Apr-13 15:04:59

Thanks for all the info wally
Happy hols

EndoplasmicReticulum Mon 01-Apr-13 21:13:06

No, you must absolutely not buy Easter Eggs in january because that validates the stupidity that has them on sale then in the first place.

we should make an agreement not to buy any until March.

I'm another one who was looking for the mythical long-sleeved t-shirts in Feb this year, only to find shorts. I wasn't being fussy about colour or design, I actually could not find any on the high street so bought from ebay instead. Sales figures cannot show all the customers who went away disappointed because they could not buy jumpers in February or School uniform in August.

SchnitzelVonKrumm Mon 01-Apr-13 21:03:08

Yes I did Sparklingbrook, having fallen victim to last year's no Easter eggs at Easter rule grin

ouryve Mon 01-Apr-13 20:13:15

YANBU. My winter boots ave no tread left on them. Can I replace them? Can i heck.

moonstorm Mon 01-Apr-13 20:11:53

I hate the argument that buyers make he buying trend with what they want/ don't want. Buyers are forced into buying trends based on what's available in the shops...

Ps read 2/3 o thread. Don't have all day to read more, sorry if bread has moved on, but not sorry to those who hate thread skippers wink grin

Sparklingbrook Mon 01-Apr-13 19:41:18

I am not a flip flop fan. On the beach ok, but not anywhere else.

Euphemia Mon 01-Apr-13 19:39:52

When do we ever need flip flops at all? grin

freerangeeggs Mon 01-Apr-13 19:00:54

When have we EVER needed flip flops and maxi dresses in March??

Sparklingbrook Mon 01-Apr-13 18:42:49

Did you buy some Schnitzel. I will be next year, because of this year's 'no Easter Eggs at Easter' merchandising rules.

SchnitzelVonKrumm Mon 01-Apr-13 18:41:43

I was in M&S on Jan. 2, they had Easter eggs in.

Sparklingbrook Mon 01-Apr-13 18:41:25

Ooh and don't forget the 'there must be at least a third less stock made up of boys clothes than girls'. wink

JassyRadlett Mon 01-Apr-13 18:36:17

I get the seasonal stock planned months in advance argument, I really do. But my branch of John Lewis had summer stock for kids on the racks in the last week of January. January.

This is in a store that cut baby/toddler boys (not girls) clothes space to make room for maternity, so my chances of getting a jumper or hoodie for DS in February? Low. Ignoring the fact that this is Britain and you'll probably need those items in July.

Retailers have been putting out their seasonal stock earlier and earlier for years, and kidswear seems to be most affected (maybe because more is own brand? Many individual grown ups' shops eg Hobbs seem to be slightly more sensible).

Khaleese Mon 01-Apr-13 16:27:59

Ohyoubadkitten, sorry missed your post, yes i have seen some of the most exspensive long range weather forecasts. I always booked my holidays around them :-)

Not that reliable. Did ok for my wedding thankgod

Waves back to ladies.

cumfy Mon 01-Apr-13 13:10:15

Try Ebay

greenhill Mon 01-Apr-13 12:03:52

I hope you enjoy your break wally

RenterNomad Mon 01-Apr-13 11:25:48

Bon voyage, Wally!

Thumbwitch Mon 01-Apr-13 01:34:08

Thanks for all the info, Wally - really useful! smile Have a nice holiday.

I will be in the UK by the end of this week, so I expect that all the snow will have gone by then, at least.

WallyBantersJunkBox Mon 01-Apr-13 00:42:01

The lead times I have been given for Turkey and Romania this year are only 4 weeks shorter than the Far East and the MOQ's are pretty high. This does not enable me to react very quickly to trends in season. Add to this a pretty big increase in margin and that capacities there are also pretty rammed in Europe too. Most customers would not be happy to pay the extra costs retailers would pass on for this flexibility. They also have shareholders to support (including pension investments etc).

Slow steaming isn't a problem for me, what I've faced in the past when I've worked for mid size retailers is the issue of container priorities at the dock side, and container stuffing to reduce costs adds delays and leaves small firms at the back of the queue with the dreaded Walmart at the front.

For overseas questions shipping for me adds approx 23% to the cost of the item, for air freight you add a dollar an item. Each item costs 15p to handle through the DC then I get charged for storing, transportation to store etc.

For the Mothercare question, the company is a franchise run I think by the Al Shayah group. So there are a group of people in Kuwait making the decisions on what to buy for their own market and when to bring it in. They are responsible for knowing their customer requirements but part of their franchise agreement might be that they have to have commonality of the range to some extent. They also tend to set the prices for their own markets.

I once helped build a franchise package for a UK chain opening stores in the Mall of the Emerites and Waafi Mall. I had pulled together a package of linen and summer clothing but they rejected it and even took some knits, so I imagine they are catering to an Emerati customer and perhaps not enough to the expat market?

Australia for franchise packages is a nightmare to build! They are completely opposite in seasonality, so they find it hard to select from a UK retailers range. Their quantities are so small that they can't reach minimum order quantities by themselves in a lot of cases so can't generate a seasonal buy without a lot of risk. Usually retailers end up holding back the previous seasons stock to sell to them the following season.

Right - I am on holiday now and off to enjoy some downtime. Hopefully the weather will turn a bit for everyone, statistically last years weather in the UK was off the charts compared to average years. I landed in Manchester airport this evening and everyone was in shorts and flip flops! We Swiss passengers looked very dowdy in comparison.

I've always found the UK customer enjoyably free of worry about the sensibility and practicality of fashion compared to our European counterparts where there are rules for every age, size and occasion. It's very boring on this side of the channel.

Lockedout434 Sun 31-Mar-13 23:02:14

That matched in size and shape

How did the iPod get MSG for gods sake

Lockedout434 Sun 31-Mar-13 23:01:25

It would take me a life time to knit a mitten never mind two that MSG he'd in size and shape.

Socks are the best I have used socks in the past and was very pleased with my ingenuity

treesntrees Sun 31-Mar-13 22:27:01

It takes very little time to knit mittens for a small child or in an emergency use socks

Alibabaandthe40nappies Sun 31-Mar-13 22:20:09

Whoever asked about where people are buying online.

I buy a lot from specifically online retailers. I use Muddy Puddles a lot for things for the DCs. Pure, Wrap, Boden - I know they have a couple of shops but they are mostly online.

Increasingly though I find that what I buy for myself is a lot of what would be called 'transitional' items. Layering vests and tops, scarves, cardigans etc. Long sleeved cotton tops.
I buy very few specifically summer clothes, because they get so little wear. So it seems bonkers to me that they are in the shops for so long.

Used to buy from White Company but the quality is increasingly rubbish. Ditto FatFace.

Lockedout434 Sun 31-Mar-13 21:41:45

Also decathlon is great all year round for t shirts jumpers long sleeved layers sandals and snow boots.
Due to me shopping like a bloke ie when it's needed that shop has got me out of lots of seasonal holes

Lockedout434 Sun 31-Mar-13 21:38:17

Harping on about the overseas long lead times and factory runs As the weather is so unpredictable in the uk you are guessing half the time so therefore you are left with loads of sale stock which must add to the costs. As less profit is made also understocking on the more popular stock. Therefore if you have a shorter lead time you can be more reactive to prevailing climate and trends therefore less wastage, less transport cost less risk of piracy falling in the docks etc.
so surely with the rising labour cost in India , china etc it should be better for the customer and profit margins to source in at least Europe.

RenterNomad Sun 31-Mar-13 21:35:15

BoffinMum, www.landsend.co.uk/ more or less folliw a year-round basics model. By and large better quality than the flimsy jersey I've had from TWC. However, Lands' End is a catalogue-only retailer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now