Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think i should be able to buy an Easter egg on EASTER Saturday

(125 Posts)
Loislane78 Sat 30-Mar-13 17:22:28

Just been to Sainsbury's to get an Easter egg for me and DP to share tomorrow but there are none left; zilch, nada, ZERO eggs. The person in the store looked at me like I had two heads when I asked where they were; "Easter Eggs you say? No, got none left. Might be a couple of cream eggs near the tills".

The 'seasonal' aisle is now full of summer gardening equipment (look outside people!!!) and confused looking mums wanting to buy last minute eggs.

Perhaps I should start shopping a season in advance; buying my Christmas turkey in September and Easter Eggs on Boxing day. Shit, I better start queuing for some sparklers for Bonfire Night in case they run out of those in November too.

Get it together Sainsburys. Some of us live in the moment.

I work in a shop that sold Easter eggs. Ours stock sold out on Friday afternoon. And yes, I was genuinely surprised at how many customers came in looking for eggs right up to closing time Saturday (although sympathetic and suggesting alternative sources to the customers).

I'm intrigued by the notion voiced by a couple of posters that the shops are choosing to clear their shelves of Easter eggs, rather than sell them. That just makes no sense. They won't keep to next year, and it's expensive to warehouse 'dead' stock anyway; so do you honestly think they're going to discard stock they can sell hmm? Selling them after Easter means taking a loss on them, which I don't imagine many retailers are keen to do, no matter how big and profitable they are.

FakeHotCrossLobsters Sun 31-Mar-13 21:26:41

Why don't they make easter eggs with Topic chocolate bars in them.

I love Topic's.

FannyBazaar Sun 31-Mar-13 21:14:28

I found Waitrose almost devoid but John Lewis still had some yesterday and they were half price, M&S not one but had tins of chocolate biscuits on their Easter display. I did like their style for sticking something on the display and the fact they obviously hadn't over stocked, but not one?

I remember the good old days of popping to supermarkets after Easter and buying ridiculously cheap eggs with mugs just to get a collection of mugs.

babybythesea Sun 31-Mar-13 21:10:36

I was at a Tesco in Cornwall where there were loads of DD eggs left. Someone else was I think in Birmingham.

My last minute excuse was that we did already have one small egg for dd and weren't going to do anything much as Easter really isn't a big deal for us. DD is four so I didn't think would have been influenced by anyone else yet! DH was working, no family nearby, we're not churchy so there's no religious celebration.... I was just going to give her a little egg and then have a normal Sunday.
Until she started going on and on, at Saturday lunch time, about the Easter Bunny and how excited she was and would she see him and what colour was he and what about all the eggs and the chocolate and she was so excited and did I mention how excited she was - someone had clearly said something. We were panicking because I felt as though I'd be as bad as not playing along with father Christmas if I didn't do something easter egg hunt-ish. So I was last minute shopping because Easter hadn't featured on our radar as a family until someone got hold of dd and told her all about it. That someone will pay if I ever find out who they are.....
All I wanted was a packet of mini eggs for a hunt. And never did find them.

Ditzydit Sun 31-Mar-13 21:06:40

We had to get a DD Cadburys egg to satisfy the demand for a Cadburys egg, augmented by a pouch of chocolate buttons cos we felt like parenting failures.

Ditzydit Sun 31-Mar-13 21:04:50

Yo should have bought them earlier. You could have picked up a FO Thorntons eggs for £10 a couple of days ago.

Horsemad Sun 31-Mar-13 20:33:07

So, either we're all shopping at the same branch of Tesco, grin OR, Tesco have vastly over ordered on the DD eggs!!

wonderingsoul Sun 31-Mar-13 18:40:40

Our Tesco had 100's of double Dockers only a couple of other ones to.

I think everyone has been sneakily eating the previously-bought ones because they are so cold and miserable, then having to go out and replace them. So by the time Easter actually arrived = shortage.

ddubsgirl Sun 31-Mar-13 16:55:54

maybe the staff were fed up for the 1000 time being asked why now eggs like its thier fault? at work yesterday everyone seemed to be in a bad mood and were rude!
dont blame the workers,blame higher up!

cocoachannel Sun 31-Mar-13 16:10:29

None in our Waitrose yesterday - just packets of haribo Springtime and those creme egg splat things.

lilackaty Sun 31-Mar-13 16:06:26

YANBU - what I found most annoying is the attitude of some staff like it is beyond ridiculous that you are wanting Easter eggs the day before Easter Sunday. I found some in a small Tesco & we had loads of Double Decker ones left too; I wonder if it is the same tesco!

Horsemad Sun 31-Mar-13 15:52:57

They seem to have ordered way too many Double Deckers this year! Loads left in our Tesco last night.

FourArms Sun 31-Mar-13 14:45:23

Went to Tesco at 6pm last night after finding nothing in Sainsburys earlier in the day. Only Hello Kitty, Lindt rabbits with free ears and Double Decker eggs left. Bought 3 double deckers!

Pandemoniaa Sun 31-Mar-13 14:05:12

It mightn't be reasonable but actually, leaving Easter egg buying till the Saturday is risky. Last year DP and I assumed it'd be no problem at all wandering into Waitrose and finding a reasonable (if not lavish) choice. Instead, there were none. Same in Tesco and every other shop. We weren't much more organised this year either but even on Thursday there were plenty to be had. By Friday there was buggerall. Unless you wanted the gigantic and ludicrously expensive Lindt chocolate bunny that even Waitrose customers had shunned.

I don't know whether the supermarkets are clearing their shelves or ordering fewer supplies in the first place but I suspect they assume that people buy things way ahead of time. Hence sodding Easter stuff being in the shops just after Christmas. Only this lack of Easter eggs on the weekend of Easter seems to be commonplace now.

ddubsgirl Sun 31-Mar-13 13:51:03

Eggs were out from Boxing Day over 3 months they have been on the shelves pissed of at being shouted at the last 2 days cos all the eggs have gone hmm

aldiwhore Sun 31-Mar-13 12:10:38

YWNBU if you'd posted this on thursday, but easter saturday is half way through the bank holiday. Christmas Eve is also a 'you'll be lucky' day if you want much of anything Christmassey.

There was ONE egg left in our Sainsbury's yesterday, I'm also guilty (and U) of leaving it until the last moment... so Grandad has a Barbie Princess Easter Egg, he won't mind!

EricNorthmansFangBanger Sun 31-Mar-13 12:06:30

I had DS in February so I've been a bit preoccupied shite excuses

I got both DDs their eggs plus a bag of eggs to do an Easter egg hunt a week ago, but the choice was pretty limited in our big Sainsburys. Literally a few days before there was a whole aisle and a half of eggs that seemingly disappeared. Balls that they've sold them all in that time so I reckon that the staff have eaten them grin

Is it wrong that I really want an Easter egg now that I haven't got any for me? I wonder if my local co-op will have any lonely eggs on the shelves?

Bugaloo Sun 31-Mar-13 11:28:40

I don't think they ran out of stock, I think they chose to clear the shelves and get the summer stuff out. It was the same at Halloween, I popped in for some last minute extras on 30th October, and it was all gone, making way for the Christmas stuff. It's odd. And very annoying. I was so going to treat myself to an egg this year.

Essexgirlupnorth Sun 31-Mar-13 10:22:42

Even hotel chocolate had hardly any yesterday was going to buy one reduced after Easter but don't think there will be any hmm

SanityClause Sun 31-Mar-13 10:00:57

Do you think the supermarkets have done this deliberately? Of course not! They would love to sell you their last Easter egg at closing time on Saturday. But they have to make an educated guess as to how many they will need to order in. And this year, lots of supermarkets under ordered.

But, as far as they are concerned, it's better to sell out a little to early than have to discount, and store surplus eggs (think of the storage cost - Easter eggs are very bulky as they're mostly air!).

Easter eggs have been in the shops since January. Could you not have popped an egg in with last week's shop?

Theicingontop Sun 31-Mar-13 09:42:51

None left in my local either. So I dusted off my easter egg molds and made my own with a massive bar of cadburys and milkybar.

The lengths they drive us to. <shakes fist>

TheNebulousBoojum Sun 31-Mar-13 09:41:56

Same here, OH went shopping for eggs yesterday and found none in all the normal places.
Fortunately as it was for me, he finally decided to get one at Montezuma's.
Expensive, but I'm worth it. smile

OhMerGerd Sun 31-Mar-13 09:39:54

Ok. No one else has admitted it but I am going to confess.
I do all my shopping for Christmas on Christmas Eve! Even the Turkey and we always have at least ten for dinner, so I'm not talking turkey drummers and a Birds instant trifle here. It's an operation planned with military precision (organisation) but I like everything to be the freshest of the fresh as I'm not going into those shops again until January .
And I always buy the Easter eggs ( apart from DDs which I get on the Saturday) on bank Holiday Monday on the way to see family.
This year no eggs yesterday, but I went to Lidl anyway as the DD love those belgian seashell chocs they do at 1.59 a box ... Bargain! Fam will get Easter Choc too..[ busmile ]

goldenlula Sun 31-Mar-13 00:08:50

And this is why I refused to let dh eat one of the Easter Eggs last night! I had already replaced 2 on Thursday! As it happens the small Tescos I went in today had some so I got him one from there, but I was taking no risks on Good Friday!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now