To think NHS 111 is a fucking joke?

(133 Posts)
NillyNolly Sat 30-Mar-13 07:59:26

I have had the misfortune of experiencing the new NHS 111 service three times in the last week. One of my DC has a compromised immune system so often need out of hours appointments.

Before the 111 service I could call our local out of hours service who would answer straight away, listen to a brief description of symptoms, then make a doctors appointment or get a nurse to call us back. Simple.

With 111 I have waited an average of 20 mins for someone to pick up each time, had to go through all mine and my DS's details about 3 times, then had to answer a series of questions which takes a further 10 minutes ("is he breathing?" ..... Ummm, do you not think I would have perhaps called an ambulance by now if he wasn't....?)

I am so angry and frustrated with this new phone line!!! angry !!!!

montage Tue 02-Apr-13 19:57:11

"NHSDirect: is he with you?
Me: no, he's at school
NHS: is he breathing?" confused

I would have been v tempted to say "I hope so!" Captainbarnacle but I can see any attempts at levity would not fit in the script!

Kiriwawa Wed 03-Apr-13 19:26:42

Jaywall - what you wrote implied that NHSD was a regional service along with OOH.

What you should have said is that NHSD was a national service with OOH providing services locally. There is absolutely no reason why NHSD couldn't have integrated with local OOH to provide that bolt on connection between people seeking phone advice and people needing non-emergency treatment. Indeed, they are continuing to provide that service in many regions. As I said in my last post, the only reason they aren't doing so is because of cost and because it suits the government to push that cost onto local CCG budgets.

I do have an idea of how NHSD worked with OOH providers in the past but this wasn't mandated and now it is which is obviously a good thing. So please try not to patronise me.

I agree that linking the service more closely with the local spine will massively improve the service but the fact that the government are seeking to reduce the cost per call to less than half of NHSD's costs by reducing the number of medically trained pros available is going to have an impact on the service OR on the referral rate. It's a false economy

LiamWard Tue 30-Apr-13 10:42:47

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

saranae23 Sat 14-Dec-13 15:44:49

First of all, for an entire system devised by the government/doctors/HCPs to fail, it goes two ways, e.g the newness of 111 vs. the stupidity of the general public. I am a paramedic working for 111, by the way.

Here are some rules I can advise for getting the best out of a very busy and over-abused system.

1. Try to work out what level of treatment you/patient may need before you ring. If someone is clearly having a stroke/heart attack/seizures/is severely injured/severely ill, call 999, not 111. As the advertisement states, 111 is for urgent OOH care, not emergency situations.

2. Similarly, if someone has minor symptoms like a snotty nose, minor cough, fever that has been present for 2 hours, use your common sense or someone else's around you if you haven't got any yourself, if it is serious enough to call for help. If you wouldn't bother family/friends with the issue, why ring an extortionately busy public health service helpline?
In opposition, if one rings up stating that they/the patient have been ill for weeks now and urgently require assistance, the first thing that runs through a call handlers/nurses head is 'why they haven't sorted out their own situation with their GP practices, Walk in Centres etc etc. 'Too busy at work', 'school', 'no time' are not accepted as valid excuses to why some people decide to put their/others health second to other priorities.

3. The process of a 111 call is to take personal details, (to create case records), confirm details (to ensure you get the correct response from a relevant GP/Service in YOUR area) and then the questionnaire based on symptoms mentioned. If you are unhappy with giving details, going through questions designed by doctors and nurses to RULE OUT anything serious to get you the correct level of care, then simply, do not use the service.

4. If you have personal issues e.g no friends or family for support, upset/unwell children, missing prescriptions, lack of medication, severe pain/agitation, it IS NOT the call handlers/nurses/doctors fault. Try your best not to be so rude and you may actually have a chance of receiving very adequate and helpful advice from call handlers as well as medically trained professionals. This of course does not apply to those who already have a polite manner when calling complete strangers and expecting advice on the spot.

5. Halt the whinging and whining about how call handlers are not medically trained. How many GPs/nurses do you think there are in this country? One per person? Use your common sense.

6. Stop telling call handlers/nurses/GPs that you know exactly what is wrong with yourself/the patient. Are you a health care professional with a health care degree? If the answer is no, then your opinion will always be treated as invalid, no matter who you think you are.

In my defence, I'm not saying 111 is great or faultless. Mistakes happen, communication fails, information is misinterpreted by both callers and employees of 111, but there are ways of making systems such as this more manageable and viable to all parties involved. And most of the time, its just the simplest of things that count.

Golddigger Sat 14-Dec-13 15:47:20

Are you having a bad day saranae23 hmm

This is a zombie thread btw.

mrswendy Sun 23-Mar-14 01:05:15

Just reading comments about 111 service. I telephoned them (docs closed) daughter has kidney issues, and was going down same path that ended with her in hospital with Iv's for antbiotics and fluids.
Phoned them at 3pm they called back at midnight. At this point Daughter was in bed.
All I had requested was, where can I take her for urine test and antibiotics. They were told by me I would take her to accident dept of local hospital in morning. And to add insult to injury she tried to tell me someone had tried to phone at 7pm but there was no answer, I was sat with my phone on my knee waiting for call from 3, but even if I had missed the call surley a call back 5 hours later was idiotic.

NurseyWursey Sun 23-Mar-14 01:10:17

Hi Wendy just to let you know this thread is a year old!

Sorry about your DD, I hope she's okay now!

HidingBehindTheDustbins Sun 23-Mar-14 01:17:53

It is dreadful.

I have used it for several different people, elderly & vulnerable, pregnant, babies. Appalling, dangerous and should be scrapped.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now