Family holidays..

(63 Posts)
Hawkmoon269 Sat 30-Mar-13 06:54:27

Aibu to ask you all where you go and how much you spend?!

I haven't really enjoyed our family holidays over the last couple of years. We've hired a cottage and also went on a Mark Warner holiday - both in Europe.. 2 young dc.

Both holidays were exhausting, at times fun, at times stressful. Travelling to Europe (let alone further afield) with children is a schlep.

The holidays we'd really like to do seem completely unreachable financially. And I'm not talking about Necker Island - more like a really lovely hotel in France or a beautiful hired cottage in Devon. £1000 for a week is our total budget. I can't really get my head around spending more than that when there's so many other pulls on our money. Eg we need a new car in the next year.

I'd just like some inspiration I think - I'm baffled by "holidays" as my idea of a holiday pre dh and dc was flying long haul to stay with friends or camping in Cornwall! I've never been a fan of beach holidays but our dc just want to spend a week in a pool.

When ours were younger we went on Esprit holidays and drove to the Alps for the Summer. We went for the childcare.
Now they are older ( 5-11), we do road trips and stay in villas or BnB equivalents for a couple of days in between drives. The kids really enjoy these kinds of holidays now smile

charlearose Sat 30-Mar-13 18:40:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

rocknrollchicken Sat 30-Mar-13 18:33:46

We are skint but fortunately have a toddler and a childminder who is taking her holiday a week before the main school hols. I booked really early and got a lovely 2 bed cottage on the coast in Cornwall for £395 (the next week it rockets to £795!).
When i was a kid we never went abroad but were quite content with holiday cottages in Devon - I loved crab fishing, and quaint pubs and lovely beaches....even if it did rain most years!
Me and my ex went camping all around France pre child and we would def go back with our DD as the campsites were really lovely, had great facilities (even the remote ones) and were dirt cheap. I would never go to Disneyland even if I had the money as it looks like hell on earth.

Toasttoppers Sat 30-Mar-13 16:25:29

Sorry posted by accident , mega typos.

Toasttoppers Sat 30-Mar-13 16:24:47

I'm retry tight but would rather stay t home than scrimp on. Holiday.
The best holidays have been Normandy and Majorca but top holidays have always been in the States. Have stayed in holiday cottages in various bits of the UK. I think if you can e rally accept that the weather can be rubbish then the UK is fine or a holiday.

MissPB Sat 30-Mar-13 15:10:34

I feel your pain OP - I can't bring myself to spend much more than a grand on a holiday (excluding spends). Have a look at www.holidaylettings.co.uk - the prices are so so reasonable.

Also Have a look at places that are not typical for British holidays - Germany is much more reasonable than France - and they have fabulous pool facilities, lake swimming etc.

Good luck!

merrymuzzie Sat 30-Mar-13 14:59:17

I went to Bluestone - 149 for 4 nights, including buffet breakfast for all and children's lunch and dinner. We got a 3 bedroom detached lodge which was georgeous (and it only rained 2 days!)

JollyYellowGiant Sat 30-Mar-13 14:43:22

I agree that camping in France would be a good option. Keycamp or eurocamp would give you loads of other children and the facilities would be lovely. Not the space you get in a gite though.

RivalSibling Sat 30-Mar-13 10:46:21

Youth hostels are good for short stays - you can get family rooms.

RubixCube Sat 30-Mar-13 10:43:46

We do little breaks in the uk as i need to get my passport sorted out.I found it's better to privately hire a static caravan as you see what you are getting than to go through the actual parks themselves Haven,Park resorts etc oh and p.s We have always had lovely weather smile

CocacolaMum Sat 30-Mar-13 10:33:57

This year will be our first family holiday since 2006 when we went to Florida. This year we are going to Majorca all inclusive and I think it was £3400 for the 4 of us for 2 weeks. I am not usually into the whole all inclusive thing and favour a bit of adventure but frankly we had the lump sum there and just wanted it paid for so we didn't have to worry about taking lots of dosh to spend while we are there.

I am so excited!!!

Hawkmoon269 Sat 30-Mar-13 10:27:35

sleepdodger You win the prize for most tempting idea yet!!! I know exactly where you mean... Going to see what deals might be done grin

sleepdodger Sat 30-Mar-13 10:06:20

Our best family holiday by far was when it was placing priority with dc on basis if they're happy we're happy
Went to Cornwall place called sands, there or bedruthen steps do rooms with sep bits for kids, a high tea, totally geared for kids (id say 95 percent guests had them) soft play indoor and outdoor pools table tennis etc and clubs crèche etc
We payed 500 for 4 nights dinner bed and breakfast off peak for 3 of us. It was amazing dh and I used listening service and had lovely rare unheard of dinner together and sex every night wink

MichaelaS Sat 30-Mar-13 09:54:15

We like to go on uk short breaks and stay in premier travel inn type places. You know what you're getting and it's consistently reliable. Eat a huge breakfast and don't buy lunch! We raid those local information stands and do cheesy days out. Walking in parks or on the beach is good for little ones. It's all pretty cheap compared to proper resorts or abroad. Local transport is fun for small boys.

Montybojangles Sat 30-Mar-13 09:42:43

www.independentcottages.co.uk/lateAvailabilityOffers.php

If you can bear to wait until a week or so before you can get some reagama regains for self catering on this site. We do it, adds to the excitement of wondering where in the country you will end up. Been to places I wouldn't have thought of and discovered lovely places.

ENormaSnob Sat 30-Mar-13 09:37:47

For your budget I would look at sites such as onthebeach or travel republic for a cheapy holiday to the sun.

Or keycamp/eurocamp/canvas holidays and look at the super tents on the big sites for a week.

jojane Sat 30-Mar-13 09:07:41

We are off to london for a week next week. Sharing costs with MIL. Out share of 2 bed apartment it £350, train was £100, using various vouchers/ Tesco/ 2-4-1 etc so with a couple of meals out etc etc spending money will be £3-400.
Will book to go to legoland for 2 days in sep/oct and stay in legoland hotel again which will be about £500 including meals.
MIL and other family live in north Devon by the beach so will spend some time there in the summer so cost will be minimal
Might try a few day camping in the summer if we get nice weather
Other than that will be lots of day trips as we are buying a new car in a couple of months

mamageekchic Sat 30-Mar-13 08:52:57

Disneyworld for us in 2 weeks time!!! Just under £2.7k for flights/hotel/car hire then £500 on park tickets for disney and hoping to get away with £1500 spends. Planning a week in Portugal/Tenerife for later in the year, probably September, budget is £1k ish for flights and accommodation then £700ish spends.

2 adults and 2yo DD

CatsRule Sat 30-Mar-13 08:44:12

We're going to a caravan in the north of Scotland this year for £300. All we will need is diesel and food.

Previously we went camping and plan to again with ds. He is only a year and we'd need a bus to carry all his luggage including the camping gear! That's why we're not doing that this year but hopefully next year. Plus we need a bigger tent. We also find all the palava of going abroad for sun holidays stressful. Although we'd love to drive to France to go camping.

BarredfromhavingStella Sat 30-Mar-13 08:39:48

We're doing Tunisia at the end of August, £2200 for the 4 of us for 2 weeks AI in a two bedroom room-one of us is an infant though so he's only £40 of that grin

We did eurocamp in Italy a couple of years ago & it cost a fortune!!

DiscoDonkey Sat 30-Mar-13 08:39:45

We had a lovely little apartment over looking the beach in Cornwall last year (during August) that cost just under £600. It was a small place but room enough for four people and we couldn't have asked for a better location.

malteserzz Sat 30-Mar-13 08:35:00

We've been put off uk holidays as the weather is always so bad and you end up spending loads on entertaining the kids ! Somewhere like center parcs is expensive but at least you can spend the day in the pool and there's lots to do in the rain !

GeekLove Sat 30-Mar-13 08:34:22

I recommend cottages4u and English Country Cottages. I would get one with an indoor swimming pool and a games room as even of the weather is pants you won't be stuck for things to do.

ComingtoKent Sat 30-Mar-13 08:33:05

When my ds was younger we had a few holidays at Sands Resort in Porth near Newquay. It wasn't very expensive, especially outside school holidays, and is just brilliant for kids - and to give parents a break. Loads of activities, clubs etc all included and it's right on the beach so brilliant walks and rock pooling on your doorstep. I saw an offer for it recently on Groupon I think, which made me check out the website and it looks like they're still offering the same standard as we enjoyed a few years ago.

Also my ds absolutely loved (whisper it) Butlins and we got several cheap deals there using the Sun £9.50 holiday vouchers. Again, great for younger kids and tolerable for adults for a weekend.

Nowadays, ds is doing A levels and I get to go on holiday just with my new partner - we had a wonderful cottage in France last year (Owners Direct website) with its own private pool. The cottage slept four and cost 800 euros for a week in August - fantastic value. Obviously we spent a fortune on good food and wine while we were there, but the house and pool were so fab we mostly ate by the pool.

AllOverIt Sat 30-Mar-13 08:29:17

We're off to Devon on Monday, for 3 nights. It's our friend's apartment so free, but will need lots of spending money.

We go camping in France for the first two weeks of the Summer. It's about £1800 including all spends so pretty good for a family of four. Think I've only queued for the showers on a couple of occasions so never a problem really.

In between we're off camping in Devon for May half term, then we're camping for other weekends in between. They cost about £100 per weekend including site costs and spending money.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now