Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think I should be allowed to have a mushroom free meal?

(87 Posts)

I know it's petty but here goes.
I don't like mushrooms, never have. I'm 22+3 weeks PG and DH is cooking lasagne. He asked if he could put mushrooms in and I said if you absolutely must then can you chop them really small cos I really can't bear the texture. He just sliced them. I'm pissed off. I'm hungry, was looking forward to lasagne a d now I'm just going to be miserable and ungrateful that he cooked. AIBU or is he a selfish arse?

PS last night he put mushrooms in peppercorn sauce so I had steak with no sauce - which was fine with me...

GreenEggsAndNichts Sat 30-Mar-13 21:11:20

I dislike the texture of mushrooms, myself. I would be the same and could tolerate them if very small.

However, if I were asked, I'd say please leave them out. DH loves mushrooms, I do not, and he knows that. He doesn't like raw tomatoes, I try to keep them to a minimum. It's just courtesy isn't it?

formicaqueen Sat 30-Mar-13 20:53:35

pick them out? Whats the problem.

I'm a vegetarian and HATE mushrooms...this makes eating out rather hard as ALL vegetarian options WITHOUT FAIL have mushrooms in them...

My vegetarian lasagne has red lentils instead of mince....it's delicious grin

StuntGirl Sat 30-Mar-13 20:02:40

I think as the other poster said upthread it's just plain rude to deliberately add a food he knows you dislike. Although he did ask and you did say yes, so you have to let him off this time.

I'm the same with onions, horrible slimy little things. Nobody ever cuts them small enough for me to tolerate, their version of 'small' is not mine! So now you know he will still cut them large when he adds them, next time he asks if he can add them you know your answer!

YANBU. FFS, he knows you don't like them if they're left big (I like shrooms but I know what you mean about the texture), you asked him that if he HAS to include them in the meal to please chop them up small. How hard would it be either for him to leave them out or to cut the sodding things up small?! It's not rocket science is it.

Thanks for all the support. It's good to know there are other 'shroom haters out there.
Oh, for the record, I'm not princessey cos I'm pregnant but I do struggle with food making me feel ill more than when I'm not PG.
I'm also not passive aggressive and didn't get arsey with DH either.

lljkk Sat 30-Mar-13 16:12:18

yanbu, it wouldn't kill him to make lasagne how you like. I'd do it for DH & I don't even like him very much.

carabos Sat 30-Mar-13 15:44:39

Holly that's it! The Muslim lady said she couldn't eat them because they are a parasite.

HollyBerryBush Sat 30-Mar-13 14:45:58

Now, you see, I've had to go and look up mushrooms and muslims haven't I?

This is the mushroom thing:

Truffles, like mushrooms, fungi, and plants that have no roots, symbolize foundlings, natural children produced by adultery, persons of unknown origin, and those who cannot stand on their feet, or money that comes spontaneously and without effort, like a gift, a donation, a grant, or any sudden and unexpected source of gratification

However if you dream about mushrooms all manner of things will happen to you:

•A poor person collecting and eating truffles and the like: Will become rich.
• A rich person collecting and eating such plants: Will get richer.
• An ascetic person unearthing and eating truffles: Will come back to the pleasures of the flesh.
• Moving from one truffle field to another: Will undertake pleasure trips or move from one market to another or from one trade to another.

ChairmanWow Sat 30-Mar-13 14:36:41

Mushrooms are the snot of the devil. Vile, vile, vile. Even the smell of them is enough to make me retch. YADNBU. In fact offering to pick them out is far too accommodating. Next time eat them and vomit them back into his face. That will give him some approximation of just how disgusting the little blighters are.

StuntGirl Sat 30-Mar-13 13:42:52

My partner doesn't like cheese. Cheese for gods sake the weirdo.

I don't cook cheese in meals we eat together, and add it separately at the end.

snuffaluffagus Sat 30-Mar-13 11:48:08

I LOVE mushrooms and my husband hates them. I don't out them in anything I'm cooking for both of us.. That's just common curtesy.

Ps I'm vegetarian and mushrooms are deffo not an animal ;)

Branleuse Sat 30-Mar-13 09:08:24

LTB

carabos: shock What planet were the people at the conference on?! I've never heard that but I will ask for it to be clarified should I ever meet a 'veggie' who says it!

Tee2072 Sat 30-Mar-13 08:52:17

Did I miss something?

He said 'can I add mushrooms'

You said, 'sure, if they are small'

So he did and, I am assuming here, cut them into what was, to him, small.

Why didn't you say 'No. I hate mushrooms. They are evil. I will puke on you if you add mushrooms.'?

Are you always so passive aggressive?

carabos Sat 30-Mar-13 08:48:55

At a corporate conference I organised, mushroom risotto was the vegetarian option at dinner. Every single one of the people who had declared themselves to be vegetarian on the booking site together with the one Muslim lady came to me and said they couldn't eat the risotto. Almost all of them said it was because vegetarians can't eat mushrooms and the Muslim lady said it was because Muslims can't eat mushrooms.

I had no idea mushrooms were such a "thing" and had always thought that they were a staple for veggies. I did notice that several of the "vegetarians" enjoyed the full English breakfast the next day however, so I'm assuming that they must be part of a veggie sub-culture that eschews mushrooms but tolerates bacon and sausages...

Emilythornesbff Sat 30-Mar-13 06:18:56

Why the fuckity fuck couldn't he just omit the blighters?

"could I add something you strongly dislike to this sauce that will do nothing to enhance the dish?" ?? Knob!
If he MUST do this then the larger the better so you can pick them out.
(pop them on my plate, I like mushrooms).

WorraLiberty Fri 29-Mar-13 23:27:21

Don't dis the shrooms...they're wonderful things.

But seriously, my DH doesn't like them therefore I cut them big on purpose...so that he can easily spot them and pick them out.

It's not difficult for him to do.

ladymariner Fri 29-Mar-13 23:20:03

You are pregnant.

You are entitled to be as *fussy, *unreasonable, picky and flouncy as you like.

No you're not.

Loulybelle Fri 29-Mar-13 23:17:27

You lot have made me wanna eat mushrooms now, how can i have them at this time of night.

DumSpiroSpero Fri 29-Mar-13 23:11:42

My DH has 'food intolerances' (as diagnosed by quack in well known health food shop hmm ), one of which is mushrooms.

It's not difficult to manage if one person doesn't like them - I just cook a few off and put then in a bowl. Cook the rest of the meal, dish up DH & DD's, then stir them through what's left for me.

You'll have to get him making spag bol as it works well for that, stir fries & curries.

HollyBerryBush Fri 29-Mar-13 23:11:24

Lasagne, shepherds pie, spag bol, moussaka - all places to hide things that you don't actually want on your plate but are good for you!

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Fri 29-Mar-13 23:09:28

I think it's mean to put something in a meal you are cooking that you know the other person you intend to eat it with you doesn't like.

Why would anyone do that when there are likely to be many many things that both people enjoy.

I don't get it.

zukiecat Fri 29-Mar-13 23:08:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

expatinscotland Fri 29-Mar-13 23:03:20

I love mushrooms, but not in lasagne. Eewww. He is very unreasonable to put them in lasagne, that's disgusting!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now