... or is this scummy?

(33 Posts)
ooer Tue 26-Mar-13 09:41:43

My two DSs (13 and 11) are responsible for putting their dirty clothes in the laundry basket, and responsible for putting their clean clothes away. We have a looooot of washing (outdoor life, lots of mud, and "boy trouser freshness issues" with the younger one) and it's hard to get it all dry at the best of times.

I have told them and told them to only put clothes in the wash that are actually dirty, or sweaty or whatever. (Pants and socks are definitely changed daily, no question!)

Despite these reminders, lately I have been finding a lot of clothes in the basket that are not dirty or smelly or anything - usually big cotton hoodies that I reckon have been worn once at most. AIBU to quietly put them back on the "clean" pile without actually washing them?

Orangerevel Wed 27-Mar-13 08:04:01

I do this all the time. Sometimes my teenagers will wear a hoody for an afternoon and out it in the wash as they can't be bothered to put it away.

Personally once they had been put n the laundry basket with the sorry stuff I'd have to wash them again.

Sorry?? Dirty

scousemum Wed 27-Mar-13 08:25:47

Absolutely NOT unreasonable! My DS is nearly 13 and DD is 14. Have same issues as others, can't be bothered to put away, easier just to dump in the wash. Have had multiple arguments over wearing hoodies once. DS has been caught wearing 3 woollen school jumpers by Wednesday! I just pick up, sniff, inspect and put back. I DO point this out to them though, and it feels like Groundhog Day when I do hmm

eggerlicious Wed 27-Mar-13 08:26:16

If they are clean and don't smell you can save energy and not wash! But have they got smell/dirt from the other clothes in there? grin

SissySpacekAteMyHamster Wed 27-Mar-13 08:28:55

Mine are younger, and it drives me mad the amount of times I pull clean stuff out of the laundry basket. They tend to just throw stuff in there rather than tidy up! I was hoping they'd grow out of it, but after this thread....

My DDs do this and it drives me insane, clean washing you can't be bothered to put away? No problem, chuck it back into the wash and that idiot mum will wash it again. Aaaaargh. I once found a whole pile of neatly folded washing in the hamper.

Theas18 Wed 27-Mar-13 09:01:01

THis is 17yr old DS default " tidying" at times. If he can't remember if he's worn it or not and it's in the " floordrobe" he chucks it in the wash . I Send it back again if it looks and smells OK (I'll hang it over the bannister for a bit so it airs after being in the wash with the smelly stuff !)

DD2 instead doesn't put stuff in the wash that need it...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now