Nanny spotted reading magazine whilst child at playbarn

(296 Posts)
zebedeethezebra Mon 25-Mar-13 14:04:48

AIBU to be annoyed at my nanny for reading a wedding magazine whilst 3 year old DS is at a playbarn, or do all nannies think it is reasonable to behave like this??

She was spotted by one of my friends the other week. I don't mind her having a coffee or something whilst she is there, but I expect her to keep an eye on DS, not have her nose buried in a magazine. Particularly on the money we pay her.

LadyBeagleEyes Mon 25-Mar-13 14:18:22

What a lovely friend you have Op.
Sitting flickering through a magazine and it's a wedding magazine, so not a lot to read can be done while watching a child.

coffeeinbed Mon 25-Mar-13 14:18:58

Ohh! And a wedding magazine, the cow!
Whatever next, she'll be asking to days off to get married?
She clearly needs to be shot, at the very least.

NoelHeadbands Mon 25-Mar-13 14:19:23

I bet it wasn't even a wedding magazine she was reading.

I bet it was Take A Break, secreted inside a wedding magazine

expatinscotland Mon 25-Mar-13 14:19:37

YABU! And your friend who 'spotted' her sound like shit-stirring twats.

WafflyVersatile Mon 25-Mar-13 14:19:52

YABU

and your friend is a shit stirrer.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Mon 25-Mar-13 14:21:45

If I had a nanny for my DC I would NOT want her to be staring at them the whole time. Fgs it would give them a weird, unbalanced view of life and of themselves!

Welovegrapes Mon 25-Mar-13 14:21:49

This child died in a playhouse while nursery workers were chatting on the phone:

[[http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2263480/Rhiya-Malin-Nursery-workers-talking-phones-unusual-playgroup-girl-died-hanging.html]

Welovegrapes Mon 25-Mar-13 14:22:05
Catchingmockingbirds Mon 25-Mar-13 14:22:33

noel maybe it was the job section of the newspaper folded up inside her mag grin

StuntGirl Mon 25-Mar-13 14:22:46

Oh give over you daft mare grin Have you never read a magazine/checked your texts/chatted with your friends/anything else that doesn't give 100% undivided attention to your kid? I'm sure they'll survive.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Mon 25-Mar-13 14:22:53

And a million more did not WELOVEGRAPES. What a horrible post.

mum11970 Mon 25-Mar-13 14:22:59

Wonder who was watching your friend's child while she was watching your nanny!

HesterShaw Mon 25-Mar-13 14:23:13

Oh well then.

"It's absolutely true because I read it in the Daily Mail."

Another YouTube classic

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Mon 25-Mar-13 14:23:37

AND Welovegreapes that was at a NURSERY not a playbarn!

MadamFolly Mon 25-Mar-13 14:23:58

What else is she supposed to do whilst facilitating your son to have independent play that is necessary for his development? Should she have been knitting him a hat? Standing to attention?

OP, what exactly do you expect your Nanny to do, follow him round?

Is that what you do when you take him?

Kiriwawa Mon 25-Mar-13 14:25:35

Welovegrapes - that's a story about a child who died in an an outdoor playhouse at a nursery.

What exactly is the relevance here? confused

Welovegrapes Mon 25-Mar-13 14:25:55

The nursery worker was convicted and I think is still awaiting sentencing. Accidents can happen and that is why I wouldn't be reading and supervising someone else's child.

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 25-Mar-13 14:26:11

Hester never heard that sketch before, its brilliant. OP has the nanny finished the extension yet?

mrsbungle Mon 25-Mar-13 14:27:24

Do you go in the soft play and follow your child about then? Or just sit and continuously look at them?

YABU.

"standing to attention" grin

As we are using the one story in the daily mail as proof and evidence we must also be accepting annecdotal evidence.

I took all 3 of mine to soft play. I took a book with me, my phone, magazines, laptop.

They are 15, 14 and 9 now. All still here. Didnt come to any harm from not having my eyes fixed on them at all times.

My SIL and MIL also took them. And talked to each other rather than watching the children at all times.

Yep, still no terrible side effects. Yet.

OutragedFromLeeds Mon 25-Mar-13 14:28:38

Welove I know an adult who got run over! Perhaps we should all stop crossing roads? Or only go out with our mums until we're 50? hmm

OP YABU. If it was a younger child it would be different, but at 3yo they're old enough to play alone, being supervised from the sidelines.

Fookinell Mon 25-Mar-13 14:29:35

Visit the loo, the OP has probably given the poor girl a Sheewee and a bottle to pee inhmm I was a nanny for 20 years and most of my employers were lovely, except the idiot mum who wanted me to take the phone into the loo so that i could answer the phone at all times.....

ppeatfruit Mon 25-Mar-13 14:30:14

NYANBU I was a nanny and CM and there's no way I would have read a magazine while taking the L.O's out. You never know if there's a bigger kid about to whack/push your mindee or vice versa and i would be there to stop it the trouble before it escalated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now