to think that the rules around changing for PE are unfair?

(74 Posts)
olgafromthevolga Mon 25-Mar-13 13:46:49

DS2 is in Y6, and when it comes to PE, the rule is that girls get changed in the classroom and the boys get changed in the corridor. No-one is allowed into the classroom until all of the girls are changed and no-one is allowed to look through the window. However, anyone who wants to can walk down the corridor, and the girls are allowed to leave the classroom and go into the corridor as soon as they are changed. Now I have no issue with DS2 being spotted in his undercrackers, but it does seem to me that there is a bit of an indefensible double standard going on here. Is this kind of thing normal procedure?

Maltamum Fri 11-Oct-13 23:07:25

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

sashh Thu 28-Mar-13 02:44:04

That's weird, when I was 11 (1979) hardly anyone started before 12

I was 11 in 1978, I don't think I was the first to start at that age. We certainly had the sani bins in junior school.

School clothes/shoes should be suitable for running and climbing and jumping and whatever else.

But this is the UK where we put 5 year olds in a shirt and tie and 'proper' school shoes.

Lilipaddle Thu 28-Mar-13 01:04:58

ICBINEG, I understand your point about needing to accept difference, but there is also a need to teach children, especially girls but also boys, to have privacy about their bodies.
We shouldn't be teaching them to just strip off around anyone and everyone. I think it is good to teach them that there are different boundaries with same sex and the opposite sex when it comes to appropriate undress.

ICBINEG Thu 28-Mar-13 00:13:18

I feel like there are two paths. Take everything that is different and hide it. Or celebrate difference.

If you have a different looking body to your peers, well maybe you should hide it to avoid comment. But what if you cant hide it? What if you are different in a way that can't be hidden? What if it is your face, or a disability?

I think that every time some one says we should support kids to hide their differences we are making the lives of those who cant a little bit worse.

It would be great if kids learned to accept difference and not make fun of it. They can't do that in an environment where everything is hidden and private, which if anything re-enforces the message that difference is wrong.

soverylucky Wed 27-Mar-13 22:53:48

The boys and girls should change separately at that age (if they wish) and the privacy of those children should be respected.

When I was in year 6 I had started my periods and was wearing a bra as were several friends - this was over 20 years ago. There was zero understanding to my situation back then. I am dismayed to see some of the comments at the start of this thread.

sandylion Wed 27-Mar-13 22:29:33

Yabu children are beastly to each other. I had tits at 11 and was teased chronically by the boys.

Send the boys out I say!

cory Wed 27-Mar-13 22:28:51

Starting your periods at 11 wasn't even that uncommon when I was a child in the 60s; I did and I was not the only one. Wouldn't have thought to tell the teacher though.

Euphemia Wed 27-Mar-13 20:44:42

I don't understand why girls should be ashamed of proto-breasts.

I think it's about being conscious of looking different to other girls, being aware that their bodies are changing. They're perhaps uncomfortable with the changes, but I wouldn't go as far as to say they're ashamed.

ICBINEG Wed 27-Mar-13 12:49:43

I don't understand why girls should be ashamed of proto-breasts.

Or why girls are considered less likely to point stare and be rude about them than boys.

shewhowines Mon 25-Mar-13 21:51:32

But thats exactly why they're not sent off to the toilets. They do need a degree of supervision. The teacher can do that in the corridor.

Especially the less "angelic" kids shall we say.

lilackaty Mon 25-Mar-13 21:41:29

YANBU - the girls should wait until the boys are all ready or they need to find another room to use.
As a side note, the last time my ds & his friends (year4&5) were left alone to change, they all did a willy dance. I know this is irrelevant but it amused me greatly, particularly as it occured immediately after they had closed the curtains to stop girls peeking in!

Euphemia Mon 25-Mar-13 21:19:14

Emily Changing rooms are horrendous - just an excuse to muck about.

Emilythornesbff Mon 25-Mar-13 20:34:37

Almost every primary school thread I read makes me Feel glum about my DCs starting school.
I must be such an old fuddy fuddy. It never occurred to me that a school wouldn't have changing rooms.
I am in for a shock aren't I?

Wellthen Mon 25-Mar-13 20:24:52

Girls and boys should have the same amount of privacy so the corridor is simply not a good place for changing as it is a public area. I do agree that privacy does not equal shame and that we cant decide for someone what they are comfortable with. But I also think this attitude can make some children worry unnecessarily and associate body awareness and embarasment with being grown up. Girls get very squealy - 'ooooh he's looking!' - because they think it looks cool. By choice I would simply have children change in the cloakroom so that those who want to change privately can do so without much fuss as the toilets are next door.

As a child I changed with the boys until secondary school but I remember a girl in our class who was tall and had almost fully developed breasts (they were probably bigger than mine are now as an adult). She simply discretely slipped out to the toilets when we changed. No fuss.

Oh and for those asking 'why do they change anyway?' at uni I was told that it was traditionally so that teachers could check children for bruises and other injuries given to them by their loving families.

TwllBach Mon 25-Mar-13 19:54:48

... Missed the point of the OP completely grin

I think the girls should be made to wait, it's only fair. If my girls finish before my boys, they wait with a book in the 'library' which is the area outside the classroom.

TwllBach Mon 25-Mar-13 19:53:25

In my school the rules are that once they reach year four, children should change separately. I thought that was 'The Law' but maybe it's just a school rule?

In practise, what that means is that I send the girls off to get changed in the toilets and the boys stay in class. I only do it this way because the girls in my class are far more sensible than the boys grin luckily for me though, our toilets are close enough for me to hover between the classroom and the toilets, so neither group are particularly unsupervised.

StuntGirl Mon 25-Mar-13 19:52:57

YANBU. Both should be afforded the same privacy.

Kazooblue Mon 25-Mar-13 19:43:48

Sorry it is unacceptable.They'll should simply take it in turns and read in the corridor if needs be.

Inertia Mon 25-Mar-13 19:42:03

We probably should , as a society, have a healthier attitude towards our bodies.

However, I don't believe we should insist that adolescent children should be the trailblazers for that change , and force them to confront changes in their own and others' bodies by failing to afford them privacy.

IThinkOfHappyWhenIThinkOfYou Mon 25-Mar-13 19:41:06

It's all well and good to say that we shouldn't be bothered about being naked or undressing in front of people but it's unreasonable to expect a group of 10/11 yr old girls with new periods and new breasts to lead the revolution.

My dd in yr 2 is showing signs of puberty. The GP says she is old enough to be 'in the normal range' ie not precocious. She isn't fat or tall. I was 14 so I was pretty shocked.

Girls tend to develop sooner and have more to 'hide' than boys so if forced to choose between 2 places with differing amount of privacy then I would choose the most private for the girls. The problem is nothing is being done to get the boys a more private area.

I have more ds's than dd's

Kazooblue Mon 25-Mar-13 19:35:33

Yanbu

My boys are only year 4(9) and already need privacy when changing(mortified if I see anything).If we as parents have to provide privacy so do school.

Girls need privacy and so do boys. Would love to see how they get by safe guarding with children being forced to change in full view of all and sundry in a corridor.

I despair sometimes re the attitude towards boys.

Euphemia Mon 25-Mar-13 19:33:38

I would imagine the teacher is in the classroom with the girls.

I agree the girls should wait until the boys are ready.

50shadesofvomit Mon 25-Mar-13 19:31:39

Yanbu. Both girls and boys should be "protected" from the other sex seeing them in underwear.

As for piss taking- I have a dd in y5 and her friends and her know which girls have early signs of boobs, hairiness, bras etc so changing with the same sex is not always the best way to "preserve" modesty.

FamiliesShareGerms Mon 25-Mar-13 19:28:36

I don't see what is wrong with the simple suggestion that the girls should wait in the classroom until everyone is ready (side issue: where do the girls go when they are ready - through the corridor to the hall where the teacher is waiting...?)

rufusnine Mon 25-Mar-13 19:26:57

ours is girls in library, boys in class room but this is only in Y5/6 (with the library being just a bit more private than the classroom)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now