'The bigger you are the higher the cost of a plane ticket' AIBU to think that this is ridiculous?

(385 Posts)
Poppet48 Mon 25-Mar-13 08:22:33

I have just heard the debate of should a plane ticket cost more for obese people.

I think that this is ridiculous, not only is it discriminating it is highly embarrassing to have to get weighed at the airport check in, Where have the human rights gone?

AIBU to feel this way?

I would love to hear what others think of this.

NuhichNuhaymuh Thu 28-Mar-13 08:04:06

I don't think everyone complains about Ryan Air and says they won't fly with them.

Michael O'Leary does indeed come across as a horrible meals scrot and it certainly is reflected in the airline. No bother if your travelling alone or as a couple though. Sitting anywhere is fine then. But with children it's a little mire uncomfortable and you have a worry about seating.

I've seen hideous treatment of a disabled traveller. She was humiliated, shouted at by staff for not giving into her seat quick enough. Also an old man shouted at for not having anywhere to put his bag (overhead bins where full)

If they truly are the cheapest I'll fly Ryan air otherwise not and id pay up to 80 more to avoid then when flying with children.

as for the op on this thread paying by weight wouldn't work, though having another person taking your space is a problem. Though Id have thought a rare enough problem.

NuhichNuhaymuh Thu 28-Mar-13 08:32:00

*meals = mean!!

WestieMamma Thu 28-Mar-13 09:20:32

I flew Ryanair as a disabled passenger last year. I was dreading it because of the horror stories and my extremely vulnerable emotions at the time (my dad had just died and it was the only flight available that day). We waited for everyone else to board as I couldn't cope with the scrum, and I was prepared to sit wherever was left.

I was really surprised to find that the cabin crew had kept a whole row free for us so we could choose which seat was most suitable. The other people in the row had to wait to have what was left. They'd also reserved space in the overhead locker for us. I was most impressed. (Sadly they did 'lose' my walking frame so I couldn't get off the plane for half an hour after everyone else while they sorted it out, but BA have done the same on occassions too so I don't hold that against them.)

NuhichNuhaymuh Thu 28-Mar-13 16:32:10

Oh that's good to hear WestieMamma nice to hear some of the staff are thoughtful.

ChippingInIsEggceptional Thu 28-Mar-13 20:46:17

Honey - I used to spend half my life flying - I know arm rests can be raised grin but surely, it's a simple matter of the 'skinny' person putting it down. I haven't come across a commercial airline that would be happy with the armrest being up during takeoff and landing and so if it can't be put down, then there's an actual problem BUT I have never come across this on the zillion flights I've taken. Where are all these people who need the arm rest to be up?

MummyPigs I disagree that 'all bets are off' one the aircraft is in the air - the default position is that the armrest is down - it being up is only acceptable if both parties are happy with it (and crew would support you on that). Sod the bloke if he was uncomfortable, that's HIS problem, not yours and he should have put the side up next to his wife or booked two seats (but I suspect they'd had that 'discussion' previously grin You were young - we'll let you off smile

WhatKindofFool Thu 28-Mar-13 20:48:14

If you eat more, you spend more on food. If your weight uses up more aircraft fuel, then you should pay for it.

mirry2 Thu 28-Mar-13 21:50:39

The last time I flew (to France with Easyjet) I'm sure the arm rest was in a fixed position.

thelittlestkiwi Tue 02-Apr-13 06:21:10

Not sure if this has been linked already:

Air Samoa already doing it

WhatKindofFool Tue 02-Apr-13 12:25:13

Crikey! I thought it was an April Fool at first but it seems very genuine. I can see the logic in it.

Talking of smells on planes I once worked with a guy who took the opportunity to test Einstein's little known hypothesis that farts don't smell on planes.
I'm thankful I wasn't in the row behind him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now