Overpriced secondhand baby stuff

(46 Posts)
3MenAndMe Sun 24-Mar-13 07:48:01

AIBU to think that some people expecting too much for their second hand pushchair/cot or whatever they are selling as 'secondhand'?

I am expecting at the moment and decided to buy as much things as possible secondhand as do not want to add to the landfill/stuff the pockets of greedy companies,but the prices some people are asking for are shocking....

As a rule of thumb it used to be 1/3 of original price max ,but some people want almost as much as for new for 2-3 year old stuff..I understand that if the item is almost new/rarely used and they can provide the receipt than fine,I am more than happy to pay...Times are tough and everybody wants extra cash,but within being reasonable....

Would it be rude to negotiate the price or should I just ignore the advert??
Would you buy from Ebay when is says 'No returns',it sounds a bit dodgy...????

llamallama Sun 24-Mar-13 08:41:17

On gumtree though you need to check frequently as the bargains get snapped up the same day that they are posted! Weekends are busier with new ads going up! I have the app on my phone and check it quite often!

Hawkmoon269 Sun 24-Mar-13 08:42:17

digestives couldn't agree more! I remember looking at jumperoos which were about £90 new and then £45 in the Nct second hand sales. So I got a new one and will sell it on half price. It's in excellent condition but as it was going to cost me £45 either way I figured I get it new!

hermioneweasley Sun 24-Mar-13 08:47:47

We sold our stuff for a few quid at an NCT near,y new sale. Brand new items priced at 50%-2/3rds of new price didn't shift at all!

Mamas &papas rocking caterpillar in really good condition was £70 new and I think we got £5. Agree here or car boot sales are where you get the real bargains.

Completely agree on the eBay over pricing. I have been looking at maternity/nursing tops and I keep seeing single or pairs of vest tops from mothercare etc going for nearly 30pound. I'll just buy new thanks if I can make this much money by selling them! It's not the starting price either, its what people are bidding. I don't even look at them if they are a high starting price in the first place.
With regards to no returns, that's normal on eBay I wouldn't let that put you off. If you don't like it sell it on.

honeytea Sun 24-Mar-13 08:54:44

I have found second hand baby stuff really cheap, I have found that deciding which items you really want in good quality and then buying any old item for the other things. I knew I wanted a wooden highchair because it is going to be in our home for a long time, I found a lovely wooden highchair which looked brand new for 5 pounds when I was 15 weeks pregnant. We bought it and have it ready for when ds starts weaning. I bought a baby gym and bouncy chair for a couple of pounds each, they are both 80s/90s models but work fine, the baby bouncer is pink which I wouldn't have choosen but tge low cost made it worth it.

If people are selling stuff that you feel is too expensive just don't buy it, if other people want to buy it that's their choice.

hettie Sun 24-Mar-13 09:07:04

yes yes to gumtree (as you can go an see it)... Also (whisper) netmums nearly new boards (local to you) as again you can go and see it first...

newbiefrugalgal Sun 24-Mar-13 09:08:18

If you live in London do invest in your pram you won't rehet it. Mine was used all day every day. I bought one too big and the had second baby quickly, so then bought the twin pram. Once DC grew out of this bought my third pram Maclaren-folded and light loved it the best!
Do think of spacing and if second child might come along soon as buy the convert to double from day dot.

INeedThatForkOff Sun 24-Mar-13 09:08:33

I chose my puschair in the knowledge that it would attract a good secondhand price on eBay. YABU. Don't expect anyone else to sub your bargains.

BrianButterfield Sun 24-Mar-13 09:20:54

Yes, the answer to "who pays £800 for a pram" is "people who know they can get at least 50% back selling it after having got the benefit of an excellent new pram". I have a secondhand Cameleon and having used it a LOT in 19 months would buy a new one if 8 was doing it over again. If you walk a lot you need a decent pushchair.

Cosmosim Sun 24-Mar-13 09:44:22

I heart ebay. Bought loveliest things, often new, on there. French design labels and obscure (newish to UK) designers are often steals. I look at libertys and selfridges then scour ebay for the labels at 80-90% less. Key is with newborns to look for bargains for up year ahead size wise.

3men - I agree with you. Ebay doesn't help either.

I have a bunch of stuff I want to get rid of but haven't got round to putting it online. DM me if you want any to know - I'll just be happy ot get it off my hands!

rainrainandmorerain Sun 24-Mar-13 10:01:20

It's a market place. Things are worth what people will pay for them. No offence, but I bet the people complaining things are selling secondhand for too much would be hoping to get as much as they could if they were selling!

There are things that don't sell on ebay and elsewhere because they have been priced too high, or because there isn't a good secondhand market for them. There are things that sell like hot cakes because people want them for the price.

It sounds like your blanket expectation of 1/3 of original price is just based on what you want to pay, not what things are worth. I've seen a lot of buggies in particular go for over 2/3 of original price because when you are talking hundreds of pounds, that 1/3 or 1/4 off still means a significant saving!

'No returns' on ebay just means that if the buyer gets their item and then thinks - nah, changed me mind - well, that's a pain. They could have asked questions/asked for more pics/thought a bit harder about whether they wanted the item. If it is faulty or fake or not as described, they are still protected. It's not dodgy.

I bought my pram new from a shop, but it was half-price. Last year's colours apparently! It might also be worth popping in to shops and looking at new prams on that basis, who knows what stock they're trying to shift quickly?

TheRealFellatio Sun 24-Mar-13 11:21:38

Maybe it's just so long since I had to buy a pram that I have forgotten to factor in inflation. grin no that I am ancient or anything...hmm

pixiegumboot Sun 24-Mar-13 11:34:56

I am about to list my baby jogger mini city double pram for £220. Paid 299 for it. It is immaculate, hardly used. Why should I list it for £50 just so someone can grab a bargain? I'm not a charity! Same as other posters have said, don't bid/buy if it doesn't fit your definition of a bargain.

stargirl1701 Sun 24-Mar-13 11:43:17

I buy second hand because it is more Eco friendly. The price is not my primary issue. I would rather not buy new clothes/toys/books for DD at all. So far all we have bought new for DD is the car seat and mattress. Most baby stuff is barely used because the clothes only really last 3 months before the next size. I use eBay, NCT sales and Jack & Jill markets. I haven't found much in the charity shops at all. eBay gives me access to baby clothes from Scandinavia that are gender neutral which I really like as DD is our first and, if we have another, I want to reuse as much as possible.

Maggie111 Sun 24-Mar-13 11:51:06

A lot of second hand baby stuff is VERY expensive! A lot of baby stuff is expensive though. I've found it helps to have lots of time to keep an eye out. If you look for 2 hours you might not find a bargain, but if you look for 5 minutes once a week for a month you might find one or 2 wonderful things.

Patience is the key!

We liked the Mothercare Orb - £400, in a rush of excitement almost bought one!! Spoke to the assistant who said it was new, we said shame I couldn't get one second hand - she very helpfully told us that it's a remake of the Spin. Kept our eyes out on Preloved, eBay etc - saw various prices but eventually found one 5 minutes away for £70 - and also whilst waiting saw the price of a new Orb drop to £270!!

A lot of people say no returns on eBay - but sod all they can do about it - it's in eBay's rules you can return it if you want to!

Find a good price limit and stick to it... I've been looking on eBay and £1 an item including delivery was a good level for clothes, something half price or less of what it costs new was worth buying second hand.. Otherwise I'd just wait for a coupon code and cashback to buy it new from the shop.

Xmasbaby11 Sun 24-Mar-13 12:07:03

Agree about buggies - 2/3 of original price with out of date model and wear, no guarantee .. can't believe people buy them!

Snoopingforsoup Sun 24-Mar-13 12:33:04

Depends on what it is.
I sold my Bugaboo on eBay back in 2004 and the bids went through the roof. Our reserve was less than a third of what we paid new but I got nearly the same I paid for it with the winning bid. I'd thrown in all the accessories I'd paid extra for. When they came to collect I was throwing in even more stuff because I felt guilty!
I think it's what people are prepared to pay. If they don't sell the items through being greedy, then that's their problem. I would rather buy new if there's only a couple of quid in it personally.

edwardsmum11 Sun 24-Mar-13 12:49:28

I buy a lot of clothes from ebay for my child ( just bought his 2 to 3yr old stuff) and never buy for more than apound per item (including postage) and often find for 50p an item. There is a lot of bargains as well in bigger items too tbh.

ananikifo Sun 24-Mar-13 13:05:57

I was planning on buying stuff second hand but looking at the prices I think you might as well wait for a sale, then at least you still have the protection of warranties and store returns policies. I would hate to deal with a private eBay seller for a faulty pram or cot. You'd probably win a dispute in the end but it would be so much easier to take it back to a store.

I would still look at used clothing but again, you can often get new things in sales for similar prices to used and I wouldn't be looking for anything specific or ultra-trendy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now