MIL gave Dd a big present I hate, what to do?

(135 Posts)
Mashedupbanana Sat 23-Mar-13 18:30:55

Today MIL turned up with a present for our 2 yo Dd. it's a bright pink slide (dd's not seen it yet). I know I will sound really ungrateful but it really is not something that I would want to look at in the garden. My tastes are very different from MIL, I prefer more natural, creative, gender neutral, well constructed toys whereas MIL is quite the opposite - if it's plastic, flashes and pink she loves it. I think dd would probably enjoy going on the slide and that's the most important thing, but it's really not my kind of thing.

Realistically I dont want a plastic slide in the garden, but I have come to the conclusion that i'm just going to have to suck it up and have it. I don't like pink things like this as I think they look tacky and if we have a son next it is too gender specific. It doesn't matter with little things I can pack in a box but with a slide it's very visible. If i have to keep the slide, would I be unreasonable to ask if I can swap for it for the more neutral red one. At Christmas they wanted to buy her a pink trike and we gently suggested something else as we'd prefer to buy a balance bike, but I can see this coming up every time. What would you do?

Xmasbaby11 Sun 24-Mar-13 12:04:54

My MIL is the same but luckily it's only a few clothes in her case.

Since it's a slide, which is a gender-neutral toy, I don't think it would bother me too much that it's pink. A fairy castle or similar would be another story. Like others have said, if it's just the odd thing, it probably balances out.

BelleEtLaBaby Sun 24-Mar-13 12:38:29

I think yanbu actually. I wish wish wish people would ask before buying big things or furniture. Toys or whatever, small things, then fair enough. But big items, garden stuff and furniture is part of the house and I think just because you've got kids doesn't mean your opinion gets totally negated. I wouldn't dream of buying someone a garden table or a sofa without asking them? Why is this different?

My in laws and parents do this to me all the time. For ds's first birthday they all turned up with massive toys. A police car, a slide (yellow), a rocking horse that neighs (which ds is terrified if and is still too big for him to ride and he is nearly 2 now), and a quad bike. All of which sounds lovely except we were living in a tiny rented flat with one living space the size of a postage stamp, no loft and no garden confused And before anyone suggests keeping these massive items at theirs, neither my parents or my in laws have a garden either. I ended up tripping over it all and I had to keep the slide in the bath for ages. It was a massive pita. I'm not backwards in coming forwards and I said, look, this is all lovely but what were you thinking? They were all really apologetic but nothing could've been returned as they had all taken these things out oft he boxes, built them and stuck ribbons on it all so it was used and not returnable. We have moved now into a bigger house with a yard and ds's birthday is in 2 weeks. I've had to have a word with them all and say LOOK we are already bursting out of this house. DO NOT buy anything big. Do not do not do not.

Luckily we all get on really well. Mil especially has form here for non baby items. She has previously turned up at our various flats with a double bed (for our one bedroom flat) a massive armchair (for our fifth floor bedsit with I lift and one room we were already busting out of) and, just free out wedding, her old three piece suite. No warning, just arrives with this massive thing she no longer wants in her house gifts. I've sent her to the charity shop on all 3 occasions.

You don't have to nod and smile. Shove the slide on Oxfam and tell her someone came in the garden and nicked it smile no shame, me

BelleEtLaBaby Sun 24-Mar-13 12:41:38

That post was full of mistakes. Too pregnant to spellcheck smile

LittleEdie Sun 24-Mar-13 14:05:14

Swap it!

Mashedupbanana Sun 24-Mar-13 15:03:02

Right we swapped it today, asked MiL and she was fine with colour change. Thanks all. I do need to do something about my relationship with MIL though and have posted in the 'what would you do' board - any advice gratefully received.
Thanks

CandyCrushed Sun 24-Mar-13 18:34:04

Don't be too suprised if she oesn't give your DD anything else for awhile wink

YABU. A slide is a a slide. I'd be quite happy for my DS to be given a pink slide - we can't afford one. In fact, if it bothers you that much we'll be happy to take it off your hands! grin

Oops didn't see the last post. Glad you've got it all sorted OP!

SquinkieBunnies Mon 25-Mar-13 22:44:21

Glad MIL was OK about changing the colour, so everyone's happy?

Mashedupbanana Tue 26-Mar-13 12:43:48

Yeah everyone's happy pretty much. I still think they should have checked first but it's now green so blends in a bit more smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now