to have such a strong reaction to this advert for cancer?

(176 Posts)
FarleyD Sat 23-Mar-13 13:53:55

I'm talking about the advert where people throw insults around, eg there's a little girl saying "you make me sick", someone else saying "cancer you twat", someone saying "we're going to get you" etc.

I don't watch much tv, and adverts barely register on my radar. I'm suprised at the strength of my reaction to this ad. I don't know what it is about it but it almost makes me feel queasy. Maybe it's the fact that the ad suggests the power is in our hands to "fight" this pernicious disease. It just doesn't sit right with me.

Does anyone else feel this way? Can anyone explain why I feel like this?! And aibu?

Orianne Mon 25-Mar-13 18:02:50

Farley, I think that would work for me to.

FarleyD Sun 24-Mar-13 18:02:38

Orianne, I think they'd raise more money by not patronising us with either the heart-string tugging misty-focused ads or this ad, which gives the impression that if we shout loud enough we can "beat" this enemy. As others have said, tell it like it is. Tell us what the money has been spent on, what discoveries have been made, what they need to find out next etc. I don't know if that approach would work for everyone, but certainly for me it would be an improvement. This ad we're talking about actually makes me feel queasy, and I have never, in my fairly long life, felt like that about an ad before!

EduCated Sun 24-Mar-13 14:42:13

Yes, show what's happening, what the money goes to, tell me what's been achieved so far, what they're working to achieve.

babanouche Sun 24-Mar-13 14:35:41

I think the majority here don't like the ad. It may have good intentions but the consensus is it hasn't been fully realised.

Schmaltz turns people off.

To answer your question Orianne, I think facts and figure would work. Lets see the achievements that have been made - prove to us that funding really does work - and then show us where more funding is needed and why.

Orianne Sun 24-Mar-13 12:50:06

Although I'm sure there aren't maybe people out there who haven't been in some way 'touched by cancer'.

Orianne Sun 24-Mar-13 12:48:32

So how should they raise money? What should be happening? How do you convey the message without pissing people off with schmaltz or angering them with 'media generated' words? What would make people sit down in the middle of 'Corrie' and think "I must donate". It can't only come from people who have loved ones suffer, can it?

Punkatheart Sun 24-Mar-13 11:40:30

Firstly, I would like to send my love (yes, love) to all the people on this thread who have either been affected or have had loved one suffer or die as a result.
The word is media created and is the most fearful word most people can hear. In fact - there are adenocarcinomas, lymphomas etc...no such thing really as this awful generic word, cancer.

Wishing good outcomes for those who are suffering - but perhaps the advert-makers need to see some of this feedback?

Delatron Sun 24-Mar-13 09:35:46

There are also so many different types of cancer. With Breast cancer, for example, there is now known to be at least 10 different types. All have different prognoses.

We have made progress in some cancers and very little in others.

So which 'cancer' are they on about?

It is reducing cancer to something simplistic. Cancer is not just one simple disease.

Agree I would just like a factual advert, show where all this money is going, show where progress is being made...

cleofatra Sun 24-Mar-13 09:22:37

It's cancer's turn to be afraid'. What a completely bizarre thing to say! It doesn't have a brain

totally this

babanouche Sun 24-Mar-13 02:17:20

Sorry I didn't read the thread before posting and I see now there's a bit of a convo going on.

babanouche Sun 24-Mar-13 02:16:28

I hate this advert. hate it hate it. HATE IT.

expatinscotland Sun 24-Mar-13 00:10:51

No need to apologise, Farley, sounds like he's been to the wars. And of course, it is not his fault. This is not a battle or a fight.

It just seems not only stupid but also insulting to insinuate that a disease, an illness, any of them, is a 'battle', a 'fight'. Honestly, next time I see one of these smiley people on FB with a placard, 'I kicked cancer's ass' '[insert name] - 1; cancer - 0' I'm seriously considering posting a photo of the four of us in our finest, smiling away, at my child's grave, 'Aillidh - 0; AML - 5'.

She did not die from lack of fight, she died from a largely lethal strain of cancer.

It just harks back to what white said about people not wanting to lose control.

Well, that's what life is all about.

I'd rather see facts. I'd rather see real faces. Why not? They do it for dirty water and starvation, quite rightly. Those are real people. 'Can we stop it now? Will you help us stop it now?'

Viviennemary Sun 24-Mar-13 00:07:40

Sorry I didn't read all the thread before commenting. And sorry if the thread or comments have caused distress to anyone.

Viviennemary Sun 24-Mar-13 00:06:06

I don't much like the fighting battle terminology either. But I don't expect they can please everyone. I read that cancer research charities do very well indeed. But maybe it's not so now with the recession and so on.

FarleyD Sat 23-Mar-13 23:58:48

I'm sorry if this thread has caused distress to anyone, some of you have had/are having dreadful traumatic experiences, and it wasn't my intention to throw raw grief into anyone's faces. Expat - I don't understand a lot of the terms you're using, but it's clear you've had a horrific time and I'm so sorry for the loss of your daughter.

Dh has been ill for years, he's had organ transplants, heart valve replacements, strokes, and (what feels like) a million other problems in between. Each time something else comes up, we don't think of it as a problem he has to "fight", the implication in that word to us is that he has got himself into a situation, which he has to fight his way out of, that somehow its his own fault. It's not his fault, his body is turning on him for whatever reason - all we can do is trust in the skill (or not in some instances unfortunately) of the medics, and in pure luck. Dh does have a very strong and positive mental attitude, but that has bugger all to do with the outcome, that's just the way he is.

It's the disingenuity of that advert that grates on me I think, it reduces something insiduous and deadly to a very simplistic level and implies that the power is in our hands. We may have power to raise money for research, but certainly not to "fight" it off.

EduCated Sat 23-Mar-13 23:08:08

Completely agree, Thyme.

expatinscotland Sat 23-Mar-13 22:54:15

Well put, Thyme.

thymeout, agree with yout tsumami/hurricaine comments

i mean, imagine, theres a hurricane heading towards your house, you hand out your window shaking your fists shouting fuck off hurricane, then your house gets stucked up into the air wizard of oz style

actually makes you realise how shit and pathetic this advert is

i would like a factual ad too.

expatinscotland Sat 23-Mar-13 22:44:43

Anger at cancer isn't part of our lives and has never been. It's a disease. There is nothing we or anyone could have done to prevent what happened to Aillidh. She had a brilliant consultant and the very best treatment available.

We never saw it as a fight, a struggle or a battle that she lost. She died from a disease.

firesidechat Sat 23-Mar-13 22:35:08

Completely agree with you Thymeout and very well put.

Cancer does change you as a person, although hopefully only for a while. My husband was sometimes a bit more short tempered immediately after the diagnosis and why shouldn't he be. But would hate to let anger be a part of our lives now, when it wasn't before.

expatinscotland Sat 23-Mar-13 22:34:49

Many, many people die free from their cancer. They die of secondary infection or complications of treatment. My daughter was one such and, six months later, a friend, age 42, of the same thing that claimed Aillidh, pneumonia following bone marrow transplant that resulted in organ failure.

Thymeout Sat 23-Mar-13 22:06:20

I think what would work better for me is something factual, relating improved survival rates to money spent on research. There are now cancers where the diagnosis is not so much of a death sentence as it used to be. Let's hear of some success stories and drum in the message that research costs money and donations make a difference. That puts us a bit more in control, gives us something we can do.

Getting angry with cancer and shouting at it feels like losing control, shaking our fists at a force of nature like a tsunami or a hurricane or something. Irrational and disturbing. And crude - kickass, prat.

EduCated Sat 23-Mar-13 21:44:57

When I saw it, I sort of wanted to like it because it was different and a step away from the big-eyed, soft piano music ones that try to make you feel guilty.

But it just missed the mark so spectacularly, for all the reasons everyone's already said.

And I really hate this fucking 'awareness' shit. Anyone who isn't 'aware' of cancer is not going to be in any kind of position where they can do anything. It just lets people feel like they're doing something, that by posting a hilarious cryptic FB status that they're helping people with cancer, which I genuinely believe holds people back from doing the actually useful stuff because they've already 'done their bit' angry

crunchy, thats what i think the problem is, people want to delude themselves into thinking they have control of things they don't

they like to think, well if i do get cancer, i will beat it

as if they are somehow in control

when they are not

thats why theres so much talk of fighting and battles
beacause people are too shit scared to face the truth

Delatron Sat 23-Mar-13 21:38:41

Has anyone read 'Emperor of all Maladies'? It shows just how a complex and frightening disease cancer is. I unfortunately doubt, in our lifetime anyway, we will 'kick its butt'.

My hope, and I think there are some signs that this is happening, is that cancer becomes a manageable, long term condition. Like diabetes for example. What this doesn't address is why so many people are getting cancer. Once you have a cancer diagnosis it changes your life forever. Personally I would rather fewer people had to go through this in the first place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now