Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Mixed seating at weddings WHY??

(254 Posts)
PicassosSausage Fri 22-Mar-13 14:57:48

Was recently at a wedding where DH and I were split up, at the same table, but with various random cousins and friends of the bride and groom between us. Am I being a miserable old wench for not liking this at all? The people between us were complete strangers and, although we are both pretty outgoing, I really loathe the whole forced small talk thing. I'm sure bride and groom were hoping we'd all mix and get along - which of course we did - but I don't go to weddings to make new friends, sorry I don't I go for the free booze

Our friendship group was scattered across the room and husbands and wives similarly split up on tables

I know it's their wedding day but AIBU to think this is just annoying and a bit...I dunno...stupid

My POV on weddings these days is that you should have people there that at least one of the happy couple knows reasonably well, this should include family too. At least then you stand a good chance of being able to seat people together who might get on and have a good time.

If DP and I ever bother to get married, I am NOT inviting the many, many cousins from my dad's side who I last saw at least 20 years ago and have zero in common with them apart from a small bit of DNA.

Wishihadabs Sun 24-Mar-13 17:32:49

I love being sat with random strangers at weddings (whilst usually on a table with DH).There's loads of time for catching up before or after the meal.

We went with more friends and less family, because DM insisted that if we invited one aunt, uncle or cousin we had to invite them all, which would have meant a very big wedding (which we didn't want). So we invited immediate family only and quite a few friends (venue was for 50 people). It was a lovely day, but with hindsight I wish I'd gone with more family and stuck to the ones I know well and really like, I feel a bit sad now that more of my family weren't invited especially as some of the friends have fallen by the wayside.

kennyp Sun 24-Mar-13 20:50:45

I live with dh and married him so obviousky i quite like him but i do not want to sit next to him at weddings, dinners etc, i see him every bloody night and if we are out i like variety. (Am not a swinger, if this makes me sound odd!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now