To think pushing a pram while smoking...

(236 Posts)
Damash12 Fri 22-Mar-13 06:58:48

Is just wrong!! I'm probably gonna get flamed but really??!! I see mum/dad pushing their babies with a fag resting on the handle, about level with child's head, all the fag smoke blowing nicely over the baby. And why do I find it even worse when it's a grandparent???

auforfoulkesake Wed 27-Mar-13 09:55:35

you are outdoors.
I wouldn't do it in the car, in the house,
but outdoors is fine.
what about other pollutants.

I know I am fighting a losing battle with some people though.

hairtearing Wed 27-Mar-13 09:49:53

I couldn't be further from middle class and I stand like a foot away from the buggy I need one.

would you not be hmm seeing someone puffing a fag into a rear facing pram? shock

auforfoulkesake Wed 27-Mar-13 09:43:21

I don't see anything wrong with smoking while pushing a pram and think those of you that do are being ott and absolutely precious.
typical mumsnet

I remember seeing a bloke on the beach walking yards away from baby. to have a smoke . just ott and stupidly middle class.

hairtearing Wed 27-Mar-13 09:40:34

*begin

hairtearing Wed 27-Mar-13 09:40:24

It did being to turn into a smoking bunfight some posts anyway.

twinklestar2 Mon 25-Mar-13 20:41:44

It's unacceptable to smoke around a child. End of.

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Mon 25-Mar-13 16:51:29

Yanbu. It is horrible to see and I feel pity and sadness for the poor children forced to inhale the vile carcinogens.

MrsDeVere Mon 25-Mar-13 14:52:39

This thread is not about mothers who smoke hair.
It is about parents who smoke whilst pushing a buggy.

I do not agree with some of the OTT comments either.

But nothing is going to make me say 'awww go on then' either.

Everyone knows it is unacceptable to subject a child to cigarette smoke. People who do it, do it know it is wrong.

But I don't get all freaky over it. The majority of us do things that we know we shouldn't.

People killing themselves by smoking ^ genuinely ^ makes me feel sad.
Not in a patronising, head tilting way either.

I just wish everybody would stop it (and I smoke the occasional fag when drinking so I am not exactly halo polishing here!)

hairtearing Mon 25-Mar-13 14:29:37

I've posted before but I'll post again,

I think the vitriol towards smokers is a bit OTT, I quit for years and then after a very traumatic pregnancy/birth having literally no time to recover from childbirth thrown straight back into full SAHM mode and my eldest kicking and me having to wrestle with a big child, days after giving birth sent me back, ..

However I don't make myself fag breaks during the day with the kids, I don't smoke more than like a few times a day, and If I'm with a buggy I park it a few feet in sight away from me whilst child is quiet.
I get a few hmm but I'd rather than then puffing into a pram.

were not all jeremy kyle fodder.

lemuzzy Mon 25-Mar-13 09:51:16

What I find surprising is that while everyone rightly agrees smoking while pushing a pram is wrong on mumsnet, you also have threads where people are told its wrong to judge pregnant women for smoking.

I don't get that. Smoking while pregnant is absolutely vile, and even worse than smoking around children. How could it ever be ok?

MrsDeVere Mon 25-Mar-13 08:24:39

Yes, if you are going to over react in such a ridiculous way its probably best you hide the thread

somedayma Mon 25-Mar-13 01:39:47

this will be the first post in 18 months here that I've hidden. a lot of you on here are overly dramatic snobbish judgemental cunts. absolutely disgusting. scum? common? Jeremy Kyle watchers? Do you know how ridiculously hysterical and fucking STUPID you sound?

I say this as a non smoker

cloudy99 Mon 25-Mar-13 00:05:58

I so agree with you op. I remember when I was feeling low whilst trying to concieve seeing people smoking and thinking how unfair it was. They were blessed with a child but were exposing the poor child to toxins.

candyandyoga Sun 24-Mar-13 23:35:18

I judge this. Totally fucking disgusting.

MrsDeVere Sun 24-Mar-13 23:23:35

My DS1 used to wear them at home despite me and his dad constantly reminding him of the house rules (for all of us).
Apart from the rudeness it makes it really hard to communicate!

Stroppy little bleeder hmm. Fortunately he has grown out of that phase and is very nearly human again.

DS2 wears them but I bought him ones that cannot go above a certain volume and he has ASD so needs a bit of time out from the world sometimes

<goes right off topic>

lovesherdogstoomuch Sun 24-Mar-13 21:58:46

yeh i have been a bit judgy ther. sorry mners. didn't mean to be. this is why this forum is great. puts the other point of view across. but. i can't help but see people shut away on phones/technology etc. i am old-fashioned, but not that old really.

BegoniaBampot Sun 24-Mar-13 21:34:22

Headphones. - debatable. On your own or baby asleep - well. My OH wears them in the house - drives me crazy as he ends up shutting out me (understandable) and the kids. Just makes it seem like he is not always part of the family - so times just call him the lodger.

scottishmummy Sun 24-Mar-13 21:24:52

Use headphones if baby asleep,listen to pod casts,news,music

Thurlow Sun 24-Mar-13 21:22:03

See, that's what I mean about everyone having different opinions grin

I'll put them in if I'm walking to the shops. Front-facing pushchair with a baby who doesn't talk yet and who loves watching the world go by. I think she's probably glad of the break from me nattering on! Wouldn't be great if the kids are talking, I agree. That would be the same as putting your headphones in while walking with your oh!

MrsDeVere Sun 24-Mar-13 20:59:33

I admit I don't like the headphones thing. I just think its really rude.
I will do it if the baby is asleep though. It would be hard to tell if you saw someone doing it, pushing a pram with a baby, if the baby was asleep or not.
My OH once put his earphones in (looooong time ago), I cannot describe the rage it gave me hmm

Wallison Sun 24-Mar-13 20:52:20

Actually, listening to headphones when you're with your kid is a bit crap. You wouldn't do it if you were walking down the street with your husband or one of your mates, would you?

yellowhousewithareddoor Sun 24-Mar-13 09:54:45

Me too ruby. I play /chat /listen to my children all day. Going to the park means I might push her on the swings but apart from that she's happy as Larry to run around (in fact don't they get to an age where they'd rather play with other children than mum anyway at the park?)

I will use that time to text or read kindle on phone or maybe even mumsnet! No idea others could be so judgy about that! When pregnant I remember nearly a whole summer I spent near a sand play area, half lying down, with a book, while my older one played right close to me. I'm a very hands on mum overall but with a husband away and constant exhaustion the park zip the place that I could read /text etc as she was getting 99 % of my attention at other times.

threesypeesy Sun 24-Mar-13 07:38:16

YANBU. Both myself and dh cringe when we see this it's vile!!!

it makes people look common as muck,and uneducated of the dangers of passive smoking

It always makes me wonder if they smoked during pregnancy major cringe, or if not why did they start again surely the air theory child breaths is more important

Oh and smokers stink!! Their breath makes me feel sick.

Thurlow Sun 24-Mar-13 07:30:13

There was a thread a few weeks back where someone said how horrible it was to see babies in pushchairs when their parents had headphones on. Apparently it left the baby looking "slumped and glassy".

I think that post might have been the exact moment I realised that someone on MN will judge you for every single thing you do in your life grin

yellowhousewithareddoor Sun 24-Mar-13 03:27:02

Me too ruby. I play /chat /listen to my children all day. Going to the park means I might push her on the swings but apart from that she's happy as Larry to run around (in fact don't they get to an age where they'd rather play with other children than mum anyway at the park?)

I will use that time to text or read kindle on phone or maybe even mumsnet! No idea others could be so judgy about that! When pregnant I remember nearly a whole summer I spent near a sand play area, half lying down, with a book, while my older one played right close to me. I'm a very hands on mum overall but with a husband away and constant exhaustion the park zip the place that I could read /text etc as she was getting 99 % of my attention at other times.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now