Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think pushing a pram while smoking...

(236 Posts)
Damash12 Fri 22-Mar-13 06:58:48

Is just wrong!! I'm probably gonna get flamed but really??!! I see mum/dad pushing their babies with a fag resting on the handle, about level with child's head, all the fag smoke blowing nicely over the baby. And why do I find it even worse when it's a grandparent???

Feminine Fri 22-Mar-13 08:22:12

twatty was a fuss!

Surely it would be easier to give up? confused

pigletmania Fri 22-Mar-13 08:24:34

Omg herrren that is awful poor baby sad

As long as they aren't' using the kid as an ashtray, who cares? Outdoors, the child is hardly going to be at risk unless she drops it in the pushchair...

Loosen up a bit wink

ChocolateCoins Fri 22-Mar-13 08:37:00

It's horrible. I don't understand how people can do it. I once caught my dad pushing DDs pram while smoking. I went CRAZY and he didn't understand why.

Don't get me started on smoking in a car with children in. angry fucking disgusting.

Samu2 Fri 22-Mar-13 08:38:33

I have done it in the past when I was desperate for a smoke. I am not proud of it.

I quit now and it was the best thing I have ever done for me and my children.

I don't judge, BTDT and know the desperation of being out and needing that hit. It looks gross, it IS gross but mostly I just pity smokers because I was one for 16 years and remember the trap well.

dashoflime Fri 22-Mar-13 08:41:56

I suppose parent facing isn't always best. At least it's outside.

Tailtwister Fri 22-Mar-13 08:47:02

YANBU, it's completely vile. I'm pleased to say that I see a lot less of it than I used to though. Smoking in cars with children in should be illegal imo. I believe it is in some countries.

It's not easy to quite though, especially when under stress when it seems like the only way to decompress. I smoked years ago (stopped pre-DC thankfully) and even now I sometimes crave a cigarette when I smell one.

Twattybollocks Fri 22-Mar-13 08:47:04

It would be better to give up certainly, but not easier just at the moment. I have set a date for dd1s birthday in July when dd2 will be 6 months old to stop smoking. Hopefully by then the worst of the night waking will be over and she will be in a bit of a routine so not quite as stressful as things are just now.

winnybella Fri 22-Mar-13 08:58:52

I don't get the outrage. If you push an outward facing pram and like Twatty says, hold the hand with the cigarette away and blow away from the pram AND you are outside...baby won't get any smoke on them.

The juxtaposition of a parent smoking and baby might offend your sensibilities but any harm to the baby is nonexistent.

lljkk Fri 22-Mar-13 09:03:51

YABVU.
Never been a smoker, btw. Just find the rage ridiculous.

pinkyponk67 Fri 22-Mar-13 09:03:59

YANBU, saw the same yesterday.

Just give up before you have kids fgs. I did. They even have smoking cessation midwives now!

Frogman Fri 22-Mar-13 09:05:07

Common as muck.

YANBU. I cringe when I see it. If people want to smoke, no problem, but don't make your kids breathe it in. The other horrid one is seeing a parent smoking in the car with the kids in too.

I don't smoke anymore except when I'm out and tipsy but the friends I have who smoke, smoke outside away from their dc.

meddie Fri 22-Mar-13 09:20:51

because pushing a baby along in a buggy which is at car exhaust level is absolutely fine of course.
They are outside. the smoke gets blown away. They are adults and hear enough about the risks to make their own decisions.
the government have done a right number on making smokers demons. While car drivers who pump out toxins into the atmosphere are untouched.

I never used to be able to walk and smoke anyway.

I much preferred to sit down and savour it, enjoy it...

<eyes glaze over>
<puffs on imaginary cigarette>

Tailtwister Fri 22-Mar-13 09:29:18

There's not much parents can do about car exhaust fumes though meddie. They CAN stop smoking around their children though.

Icanhasnickname Fri 22-Mar-13 09:37:50

Twatty....could you not smoke an electric cigarette? I wish they had been around when i quit.

Owllady Fri 22-Mar-13 09:43:40

I am always a bit shock when I see people pushing those double pushchairs with a baby underneath (are they called something ted pushchairs?) and smoking because surely all the ash drops onto the baby at the back?

Twattybollocks Fri 22-Mar-13 10:07:09

I dOnt want to start on the electric cigarettes, I'd smoke more because I can smoke them anywhere and I already feel crap about the 10 a day I do smoke. Having the baby actually stops me smoking as it means I have very limited times when I can have a cigarette so I smoke much less than I would if I could go out anytime. The less I smoke now the easier it will be to stop.

Twattybollocks Fri 22-Mar-13 10:09:23

Oh, and you can call me common if you like, but I'd rather be common than look down on someone when I have no idea of their life circumstances.

catgirl1976 Fri 22-Mar-13 10:11:36

I gave up as soon as I found out I was pg but sadly after nearly 2 years on them have started again angry

I only ever smoke out in the garden, then remove my top layer, wash my hands and clean my teeth before going near DS and I still feel shitty about that

I judge pram smokers.

FunnysInLaJardin Fri 22-Mar-13 10:16:23

it looks pretty awful but tbh in the scheme of things not something I get terribly upset about. I could never have done it and even now would never smoke in front of my DC. But that is more because I don't want them to pick up the habit and see it as normal, as I did growing up. I doubt they know I smoke my 2 fags a day tbh

plantsitter Fri 22-Mar-13 10:16:43

Those people who are saying 'surely it would be easier to give up' have obviously never smoked. Of course it isn't easier. Better, no doubt, but definitely not easier.

FreudiansSlipper Fri 22-Mar-13 10:16:54

Yes terrible awful call ss

do you never push your child in their buggy along a busy road the hight they are at is right right to take in all those car fumes which are far more dangerous than an odd whiff of cigarette smoke

Twatty, you say you make sure the smoke "goes behind you".

Quite possibly into the face of someone else's baby.

Well that's ok then. hmm

Honestly, smokers should have designated areas, I'm so sick of getting stuck walking behind a smoker (especially when I have the buggy). Faceful of smoke and ash flicking into my baby's face. Disgusting. Do it if you must, but a little consideration please.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now