To think that vegans are being a wee bit contradictory if they buy leather goods?

(85 Posts)
lottie63 Fri 22-Mar-13 06:21:30

Just that really. Or - am I missing something fundamentally different between the two things here?

TheBigJessie Fri 22-Mar-13 10:00:42

OP, you remind me of an evangelical Christian who once accosted me in the town centre. He wouldn't go away, so my husband and I decided to share our moral views with him in return.

In a victorious tone he said, "but you wear leather shoes" without even looking down. I took great joy in pointing out that neither of us were!

TroublesomeEx Fri 22-Mar-13 10:05:15

OP, sometimes people ease themselves into a new lifestyle and sometimes they throw themselves right in.

Veganism is quite an extreme way of eating/living if you take it to the nth degree, so I think it's quite possible that someone could ease themselves into it gently, working out how to do it fully/what works best for them/suitable alternatives before they are a fully fledged vegan.

RussiansOnTheSpree Fri 22-Mar-13 10:07:23

@Folk Actually, it's not that extreme. Honest! grin

mrsjay Fri 22-Mar-13 10:07:31

vegans will not buy leather anything why would they that is why they are vegans no animal products at all, unless the vegans you know are buying leather shoes or whatnot, but veganisism is usually a lifestyle choice and they chose not to eat or wear dead animals

TheBigJessie Fri 22-Mar-13 10:15:01

what i dont understand about vegans is where they put the line about which living things are worthy of being saved and which arent. I cant imagine anyone would refuse antibiotics if they had an infection. But surely that should go against their beliefs as it is wholesale genocide.
or antifungals, if they think bacteria are too small to consider
or what about the other things, like worms and other protozoan types that infect us. anti malarials? surely the genocide of those species just for their own survival is wrong? I'm not being pedantic, just dont understand how they can create an artificial divide like that.

I always thought any line in the sand strongly linked to self-preservation was quite natural to be honest! As for fungus, I eat fungus... This is a bit of a white lie in order to be dramatic; I hate mushrooms.

My lines generally concern self-preservation and "can it feel pain"?

TroublesomeEx Fri 22-Mar-13 10:15:21

It seems it to me Russian grin

I'm vegetarian but I couldn't go that extra step, it's just a step too far. I love cheese and eggs too much! blush

TroublesomeEx Fri 22-Mar-13 10:16:01

Oh and honey.

And I like the smell of beeswax candles.

I'm just rubbish really grin

mrsjay Fri 22-Mar-13 10:17:13

Do vegans not eat honey ?

TheBigJessie Fri 22-Mar-13 10:17:56

mrsjay Don't go there. Just don't. It's too early in the day for that one.

OxfordBags Fri 22-Mar-13 10:18:16

Russian, your name doesn't begin with a C, does it? wink Yes, that's the case for my friend - she draws the line at the glue issues (the glue is what makes Friend no. 1 buy the official V shoes).

I do eat meat, but not very often, and we have 1 Vegan day a week (shamefully, I sometimes use this an excuse to just have chips for tea, ha ha), and I mostly wear canvas and non-leather shoes. Without realising it, people who don't know much about Veganism will wear Vegan shoes/clothes and eat Vegan food quite often. Chips, crisps, dark chocolate - most types of these are Vegan, and that's before you get onto stuff like smoothies, etc.

Ideally, everyone should be Vegan, really. That the OP's friend is choosing a more ethical way of eating is a positive thing - why piss on her (non-dripping-cooked) chips with pointless nitpicking over footwear that is probably fake leather anyway?!

(BTW, I possibly shouldn't be capitalising the word Vegan, but sod it.)

RussiansOnTheSpree Fri 22-Mar-13 10:18:55

@mrsjay No we don't.

mrsjay Fri 22-Mar-13 10:19:52

well never knew that every day is a school day on here grin

You don't have to be vegan because of the animal cruelty thing! Why assume that? It's a health choice for many.

OxfordBags Fri 22-Mar-13 10:20:13

Mrsjay, they don't eat honey. It's an animal product, innit. Animal product doesn't just mean the flesh of a dead animal. All the Vegans I know won't wear silk, cos of silk worms.

OxfordBags Fri 22-Mar-13 10:21:25

MoreSnow, I respect your position, but it sounds an odd argument, like "Oh, I'm fine with animal cruelty, I just can't get enough tofu!" wink

RussiansOnTheSpree Fri 22-Mar-13 10:21:58

@Oxford No. Sorry. grin Does your friend 1 not read books then???? Because certainly old books, the glue has to be suspect. New books probably not.

For me the most difficult aspect, after all these years, is still medicine. So many tablet medicines have lactose in them. Completely unnecessarily, I might add. It's just used to bulk them out.

HappyJustToBe Fri 22-Mar-13 10:22:03

frogman I would consider you vegetarian. Was trying to emphasise personal choice.

mrsjay Fri 22-Mar-13 10:22:47

spose so It sounds so hard I have not the commitment for it grin I just didnt think about honey Milk and dairy yes silk and honey not so much,

oxford I'm not fine with animal cruelty, it's just a secondary argument for me. I can therefore see that others may be fine with it (considering the majority if the population are) I am just pointing out that in response to op as wearing leather doesn't affect your health then her friend could be a vegan for health reasons and wear leather

TheBigJessie Fri 22-Mar-13 10:26:36

I used to be a complete, honey-free vegan. I am now a Beegan, apparently. But I won't wear silk, unless it's cruelty-free. I like caterpillars a lot and the way they're killed is 'orrid.

OxfordBags Fri 22-Mar-13 10:27:18

Russian, I haven't really asked Friend 1, because I don't want to appear to be 'catching her out', but she did once say something about trying to get 2nd hand or library books, as then she hasn't put money into the hands of the people who produce the books with horse glue. Or something like that. She uses a Kindle now, so is mostly immaterial. Both V friends say that email and Kindles are massive boons, not worrying about glue anymore.

OxfordBags Fri 22-Mar-13 10:28:28

Sorry, MoreSnow, I wasn't really suggesting you are fine with animal cruelty. Just a joke smile

mrsjay Fri 22-Mar-13 10:36:06

grin beegan

mrsjay Fri 22-Mar-13 10:36:55

FWIW I dont wear leather does that make me a hypocrite

No need to be sorry oxford I get it, just putting my point across smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now