Astonished about local beauty pageant

(35 Posts)
MolehillAlchemy Thu 21-Mar-13 13:07:53

I'm surprised these things even exist any more! Our local news paper is running 'Wow Factor 2013" and would like young ladies aged 18-29 to send in photos of them looking their 'hottest'.

Quote from article:

"If you are a wonder woman with a face and figure which makes people say ‘wow’ then this beauty contest is for you.
Fill in the form below and submit a photo of yourself looking your hottest to be entered into the competition."

www.newsshopper.co.uk/wowfactor2013/

Am I being unreasonable to expect that my daughters shouldn't have to open their local paper expecting to read local news, and find this bullshit instead?

HillBilly76 Fri 22-Mar-13 18:15:08

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Goodadvice1980 Fri 22-Mar-13 17:14:45

So no one over 29 has the wow factor then?? WTF ....

MolehillAlchemy Fri 22-Mar-13 17:04:33

How utterly depressing. I know that 30 odd replies isn't gonna be a representative sample of all womankind, but hoped that the majority of replies would have been of the 'down with this sorta thing' variety.

Really? In 2013 it's okay to want to line women up, examine them by the favourable (or not) juxtaposition of their facial features, consider their waist/hip ratio, decide who's had the fortune to be randomly allocated the genes to produce the most acceptable combination of physical attributes, and award that person with a trip to Paris. And then apologise to the runners-up for not quite conforming to the currently acceptable standards of beauty.

Not saying at all that women don't have the right to enter these competitions, but why would they want to.

Makes me wanna puke.

apostropheuse Fri 22-Mar-13 00:00:08

YABU

Adult women are of their own volition, and using their own free will, choosing to enter these competitions, which they are perfectly entitled to do. They're not being forced into it, nor are you.

thezebrawearspurple Thu 21-Mar-13 23:52:40

yabu, they're ridiculous but if that's what people are into, who cares. No point making them relevant by making a big deal out of it, indifference kills.

WorraLiberty Thu 21-Mar-13 22:23:04

Oh I thought this was going to be about baby pageants and I would have said YANBU as they get no say in the matter.

But a competition for adults? YABVU.

And a bit weird to be astonished?

The modelling industry is open to both female and male applicants should they choose that career path as free thinking adults.

HollyBerryBush Thu 21-Mar-13 22:07:05

I hate the way women who choose this path are ridiculed and dismissed by other women.

The whole point of having choice is to exercise it.

MolehillAlchemy Thu 21-Mar-13 22:01:34

Ugh, it gets worse.

Another link from their website:

"MAY the phwoars be with you, gorgeous girls of the News Shopper area!"

ArmyOfPenguins Thu 21-Mar-13 18:19:38

I've been in touch with the editor and he seems willing to engage with opinions, so it's worth emailing him if you object to this.

Lamazeroo Thu 21-Mar-13 16:30:47

YANBU. Perpetuating the idea that women are to be valued by and judged on their looks. Outdated, unpleasant, depressing.

AnnaRack Thu 21-Mar-13 16:28:39

Another one here wbo thought this was about child pageant. Now those are awful. Adult beauty contests aren't as bad. At least adults have a choice to take part or not.

MansView Thu 21-Mar-13 16:25:34

can you keep us updated and provide a link when there's some photos, please?

SuburbanRhonda Thu 21-Mar-13 16:15:35

Bathshebagrin

Reminds me of Jo Brand doing standup and saying she's decided she must be anorexic because apparently anorexics look in the mirror and see a fat person ....

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Thu 21-Mar-13 14:58:02

YANBU.

ubik Thu 21-Mar-13 14:37:03

And you can win a coach trip to Paris! grin

ubik Thu 21-Mar-13 14:35:20

Readers love it though...

Bathsheba Thu 21-Mar-13 14:30:23

I have to say my body makes people go Wow...

Wow how could anyone let themselves look that awful

Wow thats HUGE...

Wow I didn't know women could look so awful...

Think I might enter

catgirl1976 Thu 21-Mar-13 14:11:18

Not to my taste but I also thought it was going to be a child beauty pageant.

If adult women want to enter these things, whilst I might think it outdated, tacky and a bit sad I can't get worked up over it tbh.

A friend of mine just won "Miss areawherewelive" She's over the moon. I am confused about the whole thing but I'm not going to berate her and lecture her.

Feminine Thu 21-Mar-13 13:52:36

They could have a 'hot blokes' competition ...I think there are plenty of people who'd enjoy that.

It might be 'old fashioned' but that is beside the point.

BiscuitMillionaire Thu 21-Mar-13 13:50:44

1970s time-warp. Write to the local paper and complain. YANBU

colette Thu 21-Mar-13 13:48:30

yanbu

complexnumber Thu 21-Mar-13 13:46:45

Would it be ok if there was a "'hot' blokes competition to redress the balance"?

Feminine Thu 21-Mar-13 13:46:02

Its silly, but some women really enjoy them.

Some women don't mind being judged on their looks.

I made ( at one time) a fortune out of mine. I have since wasted all my money on nothing!

YABU smile

hiddenhome Thu 21-Mar-13 13:41:48

YANBU it is depressing. How about a 'hot' blokes competition to redress the balance?

iheartdusty Thu 21-Mar-13 13:41:45

it is straight out of the '70s. Pathetic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now