Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to expect people not to park in Spaces for the disabled if they are not using them for the benefit of the Blue Badge holder?

(89 Posts)

Alopogies in advance, but this has really disappointed me and I want a unanimous AIBU as I know I am right.

At the Post Office earlier I saw I man I know park in the disabled bay nearest the shop and pop the blue badge on the dashboard. His passenger then got out and whizzed into the shop.

Surely the badge is there for the man to use when he gets out the car to make access easier for him. He could park further away or drop her off?

I just am so disappointed that someone with experience of the difficulties getting around would take up a spaxe which could be needed by someone less able.

AIBU to be saddened by his lack of consideration?

landof, I said I know him. Second para.

I did see the logic in your piint, HollyBerry, but was doubtful it applied to this scenario.

smile

Pickles101 Wed 20-Mar-13 22:01:01

You can start an AIBU about what you want. YANBU. Happy?

landofsoapandglory Wed 20-Mar-13 22:02:16

I know, that is why I said YANBU, but then added if you didn't know him then you shouldn't judge, IYSWIM.

But was it a nice arse? don't suppose you saw if he stayed in the car

MaryZeZJezuzIzntZombiedYet Wed 20-Mar-13 22:05:34

YANBU at all - and as the holder of a blue badge he should be a bit more mindful that someone might need that space.

shall I mention cars with one parent sitting with the kids in the P&C space while the other parent nips in?

MaryZeZJezuzIzntZombiedYet Wed 20-Mar-13 22:06:15

<updates shit list>

hopefloats Wed 20-Mar-13 22:06:31

Yup, SPB, he's a Blue badge holder. As far as I am awar e, the passenger isn't Good grief. I think people need to mind their own business.

IsabelleRinging Wed 20-Mar-13 22:08:15

Considering that there are usually far more disabled spaces than there are blue badge holders then YABU. If you have a badge, for whatever reason, you might as well make use of the spaces than them all remain empty as usually happens. I recently went to local retail park, we couldn't find an empty space and there was a queue of cars waiting to park, but I counted 12 empty disabled bays.

Oh, ok, landof, I misread your post, I'm soryy. smile

WorraLiberty Wed 20-Mar-13 22:09:55

Blue badges are for mobility related disability though, so it's unlikely that a blue badge holder would have a hidden disability (the exception is higher lever DLA and various war veteran pensions).

What about heart conditions, severe asthma and chronic lung conditions?

He has a reasonable arse, yup.

grin

WHART?

Am I on your list EmZed?

SFIOB.

sukysue Wed 20-Mar-13 22:13:39

We use my mums card for her to go to the shops and be dropped off closer so she doesn't have to walk very far. We then go and park the car in the disabled bay but I don't know if we should be doing that iyswim I have never really thought about it but I don't know if we are in the wrong for that or not.I thought it was an urban myth that you can use the disabled badge if you are running errands for the person I mean that is carte blanche for anyone to claim that surely?

Point taken Worra, and also conditions like Fibro, where there may be good and bad days.

WorraLiberty Wed 20-Mar-13 22:19:14

I was just thinking of my Dad, Travelin

He's nearly 81 and on a good day he'd give most teenagers a run for their money grin

But he's got angina so on a bad day, he really need his badge.

MaryZeZJezuzIzntZombiedYet Wed 20-Mar-13 22:21:39

<soothes>

You are on the opposite side Chaos. Like the Top Gear Cool/Uncool wall grin

noclue2000 Wed 20-Mar-13 22:32:16

I have a blue badge question..
Husband and wife on my street, husband is bb holder, wife is driver. If husband is not in the car is wife able to park in bb space and display the badge so that the husband can then have easier access to the car? The space is on our street, the woman's car is always in the space, even when the husband is out at work.

CloudsAndTrees Wed 20-Mar-13 22:38:46

Perhaps they made a judgement based on the space available and the time they would be taking and came to the reasonable conclusion that they were highly unlikely to inconvenience anyone else so they decided to do something they are allowed to do and used a parking space.

Or perhaps the blue badge holder needed to get home for a wee.

TheChaoGoesMu Wed 20-Mar-13 22:47:26

The blue badge holder is allowed to do that. Theres no rule that says the badge holder has to get out of the car, although it would be more desirable for him/her to move to a different space if they aren't getting out.

manicinsomniac Wed 20-Mar-13 22:53:29

I'm really surprised by this thread - I thought it would be a unanimous YANBU!

If the person who left the car had no disability then there is no difference between the situation the OP describes and the able bodied drivers who sneak into disabled spaces 'just for a minute or two' who always get a resounding YABU. Weird that people view these two situations differently imo.

It's also weird that the OP is being slated for posting about a 'non issue that doesn't concern her/him' If it was an able bodied driver abusing the space (with no disabled passenger of course) it wouldn't affect the OP any more but she would be applauded if she had spoken up and nobody would have said a thing about it not being her business on here.

Just because something doesn't affect you personally doesn't make it ok or unworthy of complaining about.

sashh Thu 21-Mar-13 00:53:03

Any which way, he was legally parked so I don't think I could get all upset about it.

If the person who got out is not disabled he is breaking the law.

If I go shopping with my carer I park in the BB space, if he is popping into a shop and I don't get out of the car I don't.

zebrafinch Thu 21-Mar-13 07:09:07

I have just been on UGov website and searched for the leaflet on the blue badge. Hopeully someone else can make the link.
It is not illegal for the disabled blue badge holder to remain in the car whilst a passenger pops into the shop etc or also if the disabled person does the errand and their passenger or driver remains It says whilst not illegal consideration should be given to other blue badge holders . My severely disabled son is the blue badge holder, he cannot drive and to take him out of the vehicle and put him back in the van would take half an hour faffing, just getting out of the house is like a military logistics operation I seriously had never considered that I had to take him out of the van each time I rushed into the shop. Also just to say I would not be leaving him alone in the van it takes two people to take him out of the house

thereonthestair Thu 21-Mar-13 07:20:36

No clue. That is allowed. I have a ds with a blue badge. I was told I was not only allowed to do that but expected to (it connects to whether I also need a residents parking permit)

sashh Thu 21-Mar-13 07:31:06

zebra

I stand corrected.

Please don't think I'm being rude, genuine question, but if your son stays in the car with someone else why do you need to park in the blue badge space?

Is it because he can't be left for long?

yes I am a BB Nazi. When my father was in hospital I followed my mum home and told her off. She had parked in the BB space the council put outside their house

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now