To confess I don't donate to charity

(130 Posts)
VAVAV00M Tue 19-Mar-13 02:32:18

Not because I'm evil, I just don't trust them.

The only 'charitable' things I do is donate to church, I'm brownie group leader, help out at the local stables and students who need very hard to get but needed work experience for my line if work.

Am I going to hell?

I've just been made to feel guilty by not donating to RND by peers.

I honestly won't donate until they have a list on the website showing every penny spent and where it ha gone.

JesusInTheCabbageVan Wed 20-Mar-13 09:04:25

Oh, and HillBilly, I know someone who thinks the same. She's a right uninformed twat and I suspect a bit of a troll stirrer.

cory Wed 20-Mar-13 18:14:05

HillBilly76 Wed 20-Mar-13 01:07:50
"Charities are a con. They just exist to make people feel better about themselves and to give well-paid jobs to otherwise unemployable lefties. If you want to give money to the poor, cut out the middleman and give money directly to the poor. "

Where were you when I was sobbing my heart out because the hospital refused to let dd borrow a wheelchair? And did you even have a second-hand wheelchair to spare?

If we were all to travel to Africa with our individual gifts to to individual refugees won't that be an awful waste of money that could go to the people in genuine need instead?

Oblomov Wed 20-Mar-13 18:31:01

Well, I don't have a DD set up. But i give to , sponsorship forms, every time ds1 has a dress up day at school. Dropping money into boxes as I pass in town centres. letting ds1 and ds2 put 2p/5p into slot in tesco where coin goes round and round etc, which they ADORE.
It is enough. I think.

montage Wed 20-Mar-13 18:39:59

It's fairly quick to research which charities are most effective though

scroll down the page to see different ways you can choose to work it out.

The "Give Directly" charity for example simply transfers money to poor households in Kenya - over 90% of what you give.

GrendelsMum Wed 20-Mar-13 19:57:20

This is a lively, thought-provoking and possibly controversial talk about the effectiveness of charities paying high salaries, spending lots of marketing, and achieving goals quickly.

Well worth watching if you're interested in the sector.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now