To refuse to pay for School leaving party without seeing the quotes?

(359 Posts)
Sunnymeg Sun 17-Mar-13 08:57:43

DS leaves primary in July. Traditionally the leavers have a limousine to a nearby restaurant, a party there and the parents pick them up at the end. I know from other parents that in previous years this came to around £25 and I'm completely happy with that.
All the year 6 mums had a chat, about the leavers, do at the school gates and one of the parents offered to organize it. This is a parent who has had older children leave the primary and knows how it works. She said she would ring around, email everyone to let them know the costs and if everyone was happy she would book the limo and the restaurant.

Well, we have now heard from her, and she has already booked the limo, and also instead of a restaurant, she has booked a party session at a local play centre, as this is what her daughter wants to do and she thought it was a really good idea. She has asked for a £30 deposit and wants another £20 at the beginning of July. It costs children £12 for a day pass at this centre, and £8 for a birthday party so I can't see how her figures add up. I'm skipping over the fact that our DS doesn't really want to go to the play centre. as it is his last chance to do something with his classmates.

Am I being unreasonable to ask to see the quotes, I admit that I'm annoyed that she has booked the play centre off her own bat, is that clouding my judgment over the whole thing?

skinoncustard Fri 22-Mar-13 20:16:55

COMFY A decommissioned fire engine turned ''party''. Not real firemen but uniformed. Try googleing (sp) Party Fire Engine . Sure your son would love it . Sounds like you are up for a laugh too !!!!

comfysofas Sat 23-Mar-13 08:17:24

Thanks for the info, I will have to invent a suitable excuse to book one.

My DS reckons he'd like to be a fireman so that's an interesting idea about the fire engine smile

Sock - your daughter sounds awesome! What a star! She deserves a bloody helicopter of her own!

Is everyone involved well these days?
<apologies for hijack, its just such a great story - ought to be a film or summat!>

IneedAsockamnesty Sat 23-Mar-13 11:20:18

Child trapped in fire has no after affects at all.
Dd still having ops every year but that's to do with the original accident rather than fire but otherwise fine.

It was a very differcult time for everyone but thankfully it was dealt with well.

DJDee Tue 30-Apr-13 00:12:53

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

rainbowslollipops Tue 30-Apr-13 07:25:37

What happened to a little party in the classroom with party rings? sad

MansView Tue 30-Apr-13 11:21:16

re: Limos for Primary School kids ? Dear goodness.

yeah, it's the latest chav craze these days I'm afraid sad

becsme Tue 30-Apr-13 12:26:54

Where i live we have lower schools, so the school move happens at 8/9 years old. Two of my chldren have attended and the leaving party seems to be ott. When my oldest was leaving a clique of mums decided venue and limos were put forward as the usual done thing. Thankfully there were quite a few sensible mums in that year and it was very much personal choice. We choose not to go down the limo option. Excessive overindulgence. Unfortunately some of the same parents have siblings in my youngests year. Limos are now being muted as you have to do them. I realise that some parents have an agenda here as they have to do for one child what they did for another.

My views are unchanged and i dont believe parents should be bullied into excess.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now