To ask the lady at the supermarket checkout to stop 'throwing' my shopping at me?

(90 Posts)
Geekster Sat 16-Mar-13 14:01:29

While paying for my shopping the checkout lady was scanning it through far too fast and not giving me any chance to pack it. It wasn't even that busy, there was only one person in the que behind me. I politely asked her to slow down, sort of jokingly too saying i was a bit slow this morning, which she did while giving me a funny look. I didn't think I was being unreasonable it's not like I muttered under my breath or gave her a funny look.

rhondajean Sat 16-Mar-13 15:08:50

I KNEW it was Asda when I read the thread title. Fuck knows what they tell their staff.

As opposed to the lovely woman I. Sainsburys a few weeks back, who saw me getting panicked and stopped scanning, turned to me and said, take your time love, it's your turn, you've waited for it.

I have been known when they get too fast to just stop packing altogether and say, can you help now? Which really pisses them off...

And no I'm not a horrible customer, I really try very hard to be nice but when it's obvious you are getting snowed under and they are throwing eggs etc at you, it's out of order. Mts misses the fact that YOU are teh customer and they are providing you with a service.

Pandemoniaa Sat 16-Mar-13 15:11:46

Aldi staff have checkout targets. But as Maja says, you are supposed to take the items straight off the checkout and put them back in your trolley. You then pack at your leisure from the packing shelf they provide for this very purpose.

However, if this is any other supermarket that doesn't offer packing shelves then yes, YANBU to expect the shopping to come off the belt at the sort of speed that means you could expect to pack it. If not you politely ask the checkout operator to slow down a little. From my experience it is usually the younger (and most often the part-time evening) staff that send it down the belt at breakneck speed and this tends to combine with their disinterest in the job!

But it is also incredibly frustrating to stand behind people who appear to be in a totally disorganised dream and pack with painful slowness while smiling beatifically at the ever growing queue backing up behind them.

BinarySolo Sat 16-Mar-13 15:13:32

Same thing with asda hokeycokey. If they press 'total' it freezes the timer and the scan time isn't effected. So they should pause if they notice you're struggle to let you catch up, or if they're really helpful, help you pack.

MTSgroupie Sat 16-Mar-13 15:13:33

The chains have different offers so I split my shopping between Sainsbury, Morrison and Tesco. I can't say that I've noticed cashiers being pushed to meet scanning targets.

BinarySolo Sat 16-Mar-13 15:15:58

My real gripe is with the fruit bouncers.

TexasToast Sat 16-Mar-13 15:16:19

I worked on a checkout when I was a student, if we scanned too slow we got our names up on the wall of shame at the end of the month.

fossil971 Sat 16-Mar-13 15:26:27

I shop at Asda. Every single time the checkout assistant asks "would you like help packing?" (does this let them off the timer if you say yes?) and I say "I'm fine just don't go too fast for me", I've never had a problem. I'm baffled by people who don't demean themselves to talk to the cashier but then blame them for scanning too fast. It would be another thing if they carried on flinging it down after you'd said something.

SheepNoisesOff Sat 16-Mar-13 15:28:51

Here in NL they really do throw it at you, apples go bouncing around and all sorts. Half the items land upside down angry

MTSgroupie Sat 16-Mar-13 15:32:24

I am by nature the 'go, go go! Move it Marine' type so if I were to have a whinge, it would be directed at slow shoppers rather than staff that are too fast.

When I am queuing I get my credit card and loyalty card ready. It really irritates me when the shopper in front stands in the queue for 10 minutes and only rumage for her purse at the last moment. And what is wrong with entering your PIN and THEN finishing off the packing while the machine is processing the transaction? And do you really have to stand there, slowly putting your cards back into your wallet and then the CC receipt and then wallet into purse and then zip up said purse and only then push your trolley away from the checkout?

rhondajean Sat 16-Mar-13 15:37:21

The only valid reason I can think of to be rushing people would be if you have a transplant organ in your car.

alemci Sat 16-Mar-13 15:49:49

you are paying for the shopping and YANBU. If they are going to fast you are within your rights to ask them to slow down. They are providing a service and if they are told to go at a certain speed then perhaps all the customers who don't like being rushed and flustered (me) should complain to branch manager that their policy is wrong.

the cashiers are not robots.

ChipTheFish Sat 16-Mar-13 16:04:05

I've worked for Aldi, the 'items per minute' targets they have are sooo high. At the end of your shift they print off your statistics and have a word with you if you have fallen behind.

I worked there for about 3 months and I think I only managed to hit the target a couple of times. I used to feel so bad about having to keep on scanning things through even if the customer had shopping they still hadn't put in their trolly.

That is the reason all Aldi products have barcodes that run from the front of the packaging to the back, so make the checkout process even speedier.

YANBU, Asda are meant to be very customer focused. She should have slowed down.

I don't mind them doing it very fast, but throwing it down so they damage things is my pet hate. I've never had anyone do this in Aldi, because I think they do actually know how to do it quickly and efficiently. DH is ruder than me and commented to one woman that she'd probably bruised the bag of apples she threw down and could he have another one please. I would not dare to do this but I'm not exactly sorry he does.

BruisedFanjo Sat 16-Mar-13 17:03:49

Oops, you weren't at my store, were you? [Blush]

I know I scan too fast, but I never rush the customer, always offer to pack and I'm happy to sit waiting while you pack if you don't want help. I get paid the same whether I get one person through in 5 mins or twenty. I just really struggle to scan slowly, feels like a piss take. And if I scan at "normal"(I.e slow) speed, it then becomes my fault if the queue is huge. If there's one customer left and I'm scanning still, can guarantee a manager (I'm a supervisor) will come along and snap at me to hurry up and close so I can do something else.

Sorry, though. Cashiers should never be "throwing" stuff at you. I scan at about 50rpm but I don't bounce, throw, roll, or do anything otherwise damaging to your goods. If the cashier can't keep a decent speed as well as place the objects in the packing area, help pack and organise the shopping into groups (heavies, frozen, chemical etc) then they need slowing down or retraining. I like to think I get you on your way home sooner than other cashiers but with impeccably organised shopping grin

CuttedUpPear Sat 16-Mar-13 17:11:58

I thought this thread would be about my local Lidls. It gets me irate. They chuck it at you even if you haven't got a trolley and the counter is the size of a postage stamp so there is nowhere to put your bag - it's a race of me against them and not a nice shopping experience at all.

Saying that, it's only the female cashiers there that do it - the boys are quite chilled out. When I manage to get a male cashier I thanks them for not throwing my shopping at me grin

OnwardBound Sat 16-Mar-13 17:16:45

I usually shop at Sainsburys, Tesco and M & S.

Sainsburys and Tesco cashiers can be pretty quick but they are usually so pleasant and help me to pack if they see me getting behind [which can happen as I often shop with a 2yo and 4yo and have to break off ever so often to yell at the kids and stop them taking sweets from the shelves, etc!].

However the cashiers at M & S never help with packing ime. They just sit and wait for you to finish, even if they can see I struggling and a queue has formed waiting patiently. They are very nice about it but offer no extra assistance.

Have any of the cashiers on the thread ever worked for M & S? I'm intrigued whether this is the official policy there.

someoftheabove Sat 16-Mar-13 17:17:07

I lived in East Germany for three years and had the culture shock of my life shopping in the supermarkets there. They do the Aldi / Lidl thing where you have to put everything back in the trolley and then pack it all up on a shelf. And the cashiers were just so rude - they would shout at you if you weren't quick enough. There were no plastic bags (a good thing really) and the whole experience made you feel like they were doing you a massive favour by scanning your items at all! One time I had an item that turned out to be split and they made me go back and get a replacement while everyone else in the queue harrumphed and folded their arms meaningfully, then gave me daggers when I came back. Still love the Germans, though!

OnwardBound I work in M&S, and in my store we will always offer to help you pack and go at the pace of the customer.

Sparklingbrook Sat 16-Mar-13 17:31:01

I have never had my shopping thrown at me in M&S Cold. smile

Whatalotofpiffle Sat 16-Mar-13 17:51:47

I hate that at lidl as there is a mini shelf to pack on and at high speed with a toddler in tow just doesn't work

MerryCouthyMows Sat 16-Mar-13 17:54:58

ASDA was the one I was on about, where you got disciplined if you scanned too slowly...

BreconBeBuggered Sat 16-Mar-13 18:36:03

MTS, or anyone else who has their cards/cash all ready out of your purse for paying before the shopping is packed, where do you put them while you're putting the shopping in the bags? I see this gripe about getting your money out at the last minute a lot and it always confuses me. Short of stuffing notes into my cleavage before leaving the house, I can't think of anywhere handier than my bag to leave it without leaving it open for someone to pinch. Admittedly, cleavage is probably intimidating enough to put off the casual thief.

Loulybelle Sat 16-Mar-13 18:40:58

I knew someone who worked at Lidi and Aldi, the targets are awful and you have to memorize the price of every product.

gallifrey Sat 16-Mar-13 18:53:36

I work at asda and the time scan per minute has never been mentioned and we are told to use our discretion about how fast or slow to scan things.
I get into a nice rhythm of getting the stuff scanning it and passing it to the other hand.

DizzyHoneyBee Sat 16-Mar-13 18:57:35

I was in Aldi today and had a basket not a trolley, you have to leave your basket at the end when you unload so you can't put the stuff in there sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now