To ask if people judge single mums for not working?

(777 Posts)
PigsCanSoar Thu 14-Mar-13 22:56:03

I have a 11 m/o, and am a 22 year old single mum. I have handed in my notice to work now, as I don't feel he is ready to be left yet. He has always been very clingy, he will happily go off and play with anyone if I am there, but as soon as I leave the room he will just cry and cry.
He is also still breastfeeding every 2-3 hours, and ideally I would like to let him self wean up until 2.

I have no doubts about this being best for DS, and am planning to stay with him until 2 then look for a job again, but I just feel a bit anxious about actually telling people this, as since he was born it seems to have been constant "so when are you going back to work then" off everyone.

I am very lucky to be back living with my mum, so money isn't much of an issue as this will just postpone moving out for a bit.
So there's no necessity to leave him before he's ready, but I just feel like I'll look "lazy" for not going back yet.

FasterStronger Wed 20-Mar-13 07:51:13

I am, not suggesting anyone is given more money - i am suggesting that they earn it. and of course if wont affect every family, on but overall.

if you have to get up to go to work, you are more likely to have a bed time routine. yes some parents will not work and have a bed room routine, but if your day is structured, your family life is more likely to be structured.

and children in workless households have lower attendance at school and attendance is one of the influences of performance.

and one of the documents linked to talked about children is the lowest income households realising that they are at the bottom financially and that affecting their ability to achieve at school.

if you are talking about MC households - there are uni fees and home buying to help with. these are big things that make peoples lives much easier.

it is very naive to think money does not make a difference. it would be nice if it didn't but that is fantasy.

FasterStronger Wed 20-Mar-13 07:52:17

oh and if you are talking about 2 parent families, dual income makes household finances much more robust to illness and redundancy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now