To ask who should pay for replacement guitar?

(175 Posts)
SoldierKatnissEverdeen Thu 14-Mar-13 18:55:33

Just want to canvass your opinions on the following situation...have tried to write the post without letting on which side I am coming from to get an unbiased opinion.

Today at school a guitar got broken. The child who owns the guitar is very upset. The child who broke the guitar is also upset. Both children are in yr 5 so aged 9 or 10.

The guitar was broken by a child doing that thing that boys do, of running, dropping to his knees and skidding. Didnt have enough control to stop himself and ended up falling forward with his full body weight on the guitar snapping it where the neck meets the body. It was a complete accident rather than a malicious act. The child apologised without any prompting.

The guitar was in the designated place, which tbh wasn't a great place. There was a teacher in the hall at the time, who didnt see it happen. I expect she was dealing with other children at the time.

The teacher does not know what the sch policy is for this type of situation and the head was unavailable.

My query to you wise lot, is who should pay for the guitar to be replaced?

StuntGirl Thu 14-Mar-13 19:16:04

toddlerama grin

GregBishopsBottomBitch Thu 14-Mar-13 19:17:00

wasnt*

inkyfingers Thu 14-Mar-13 19:17:42

Well it can't be the parents of the child who owned the guitar!!

Head teacher will have policy/protocol. Lessons were on school site, so some responsibility. May go halves if storage/supervision wasn't good.

I'm not sure. Presumably both children were messing about. Or did the other child take the guitar without permission?

TeamJavert Thu 14-Mar-13 19:18:50

The parents of the boy who broke it.

Pancakeflipper Thu 14-Mar-13 19:19:51

Another vote for the child who broke it.

I know it was not out of spite and I do feel sorry for them but it's broken as a consequence of their silly behaviour. Harsh but they have to realise you sort out the mess you make, be accountable etc... Which is a good lesson for junior school age.

CloudsAndTrees Thu 14-Mar-13 19:20:11

The parents of the child that broke the guitar should pay. Presumably the child knew that running and skidding in school was not appropriate behaviour, but he chose to do it anyway.

But saying that, I would want clarification that the children were being adequately supervised, (as in enough teachers to supervise the number of children present when they weren't all sitting down) and if not, I'd expect the school (not the member of staff) to pay.

inkyfingers Thu 14-Mar-13 19:20:43

What kind of answer are you hoping for?

bloodyschool Thu 14-Mar-13 19:20:44

Thinking about it again, I think the school.
Parents are not liable for something their child breaks unless they (the parents) are in someway negligent.The boy was under the schools supervision , the guitar should have been out of harms way.The only 'non-child' who has been negligent is the school.

NomDeOrdinateur Thu 14-Mar-13 19:22:05

Euphemia - for some reason I thought the accident took place at lunch time, which influenced my answer (since most kids do stupid things then without thinking first, although few of them end in breakages). No idea where I go that from - possibly my own primary school experience! Apologies, OP - I'm now entirely on the "parents of the boy who broke it" team.

clam Thu 14-Mar-13 19:22:17

Of course the parents of the boy who broke it. But a hundred quid says it'll never happen.

LynetteScavo Thu 14-Mar-13 19:22:30

I have a 9yo boy in Y5. If he did knee skids in the school hall and broke a guitar belonging to another child I would expect to pay for it.

If my child's guitar was broken, I would hope the parents of the child would pay for it. I may well be enquiring what the schools insurance policy says about such things.

If the guitar was privately owned the parents of child who broke it.

If the guitar was school property not so clear. The guitars should be in a safe place and the child shouldn't have been allowed to mess around like that, also presumably there is some insurance cover or a contingency fund for broken items.

Ds1 has broken things at school/respite (windows/mirrors) by headbutting them and I have never been asked to pay (in fact in both cases they were apologetic to me!)

SecretNutellaFix Thu 14-Mar-13 19:22:52

The parents of the boy who destroyed the guitar should pay.

By nine, children should know that arsing around like he was is not appropriate during class time. I am assuming it was during class?

INeverSaidThat Thu 14-Mar-13 19:23:09

The skidded parents should pay. However the other parents should be as nice and as reasonable as possible. Maybe accept a second hand replacement if they can find a good one.

RooneyMara Thu 14-Mar-13 19:23:11

how much is it worth...my query with this is why was a decent guitar in school in the first place?

Talkinpeace Thu 14-Mar-13 19:23:12

Parents of child who broke it
UNLESS
owner have "accidental damage" on their household insurance with a low enough excess

Ted Nugent guitar slides should not be attempted with an actual guitar until older grin

SecretNutellaFix Thu 14-Mar-13 19:24:56

Because learning on a decent instrument makes learning more of a pleasure than on a cheap crappy one, Rooney.

MechanicalTheatre Thu 14-Mar-13 19:25:24

The parents of the boy who broke it.

Arsing about in the corridor is not appropriate at school. Reception children know this. Yes, children sometimes break the rules, they are children. But they need to learn that there are repercussions.

The boy should also have to do some sort of punishment.

WeAllHaveWings Thu 14-Mar-13 19:26:14

Not sure who is actually responsible/negligent but if it was my child I would offer to pay as he was doing something boys his age know they shouldn't be doing.

INeverSaidThat Thu 14-Mar-13 19:27:05

Ok OP , you can tell us now as it is almost a unanimous vote for getting the boy who broke it to pay. I am betting you are the parents of the boy with the broken guitar.

Did you have it insured?

Corygal Thu 14-Mar-13 19:28:22

The parents of the 9 year old - win, win.

TidyDancer Thu 14-Mar-13 19:28:38

I agree that unless the school were particularly negligent, ie no supervision for a long period, then the parents of the boy who broke the guitar should pay.

The boy who broke it, but only within reason. If it was the guitar equivalent of a Stradivarius then I wouldn't expect it to be paid for in full.

RooneyMara Thu 14-Mar-13 19:29:44

I understand that. It's just you can get quite useable ones for about 40 quid, for children, and I wouldn't send anything worth more than that in to school with my 9yo.

Older kids yes; having experienced two broken guitars in the last month or two I do not trust 9 year old boys!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now