to think putting on your make-up in public isn't rude or anti-social?

(201 Posts)
MomentLostToTheSky Sat 09-Mar-13 16:32:12

A thread I just read reminded me of an incident a couple of weeks ago.

I was on a really long flight and was waiting for my connection flight. The first flight had been overnight and I hadn't slept.

Was sat in departures, extremely bored and looking like a hot mess and decided to retouch my make-up. It wasn't busy and still a few people were staring at me.

A few people on the thread said that doing your make-up in public is rude and anti-social. I really just don't get how it's rude, it's just make-up which doesn't have a smell to it and as for anti-social - I wasn't planning on making conversation with the strangers sat opposite me.

I agree that in a certain situation such as in the middle of a job interview then yes it's rude.

But overall I really don't see the problem.

HollyBerryBush Sat 09-Mar-13 16:53:34

Putting make up on in public, its equivalent to youths shoving their hands down their trakkies and scratching their bolloxs. A general lowering of standards.

moondog Sat 09-Mar-13 16:55:32

It strikes me as rather blowsy.
Retain a little mystique for god's sake.

JollyYellowGiant Sat 09-Mar-13 16:55:58

I put my hair up in public pretty much every day. I start the day with it in a plait and when it gets dry I put it up in a bun. Every day. Wherever I am. Nobody has ever commented. It takes about 30 seconds so maybe people don't notice. Or maybe this is not in the same league for 'rudeness'.

Really, Holly? Is your face typically as unhygenic as blokes' bollocks? Mine isn't.

Personally, I am a bit judgy about people doing anything that leaves residue (tweezing, filing nails) or that smells strong, but I really don't understand how putting on some eyeshadow or similar could be seen as anti-social, unless to someone you're in the middle of a conversation with.

Foggles Sat 09-Mar-13 16:57:16

I do get irritated by people making loud phonecalls. To me a phone call is private and not for other people to listen to.

I get extra irritated by people making "hands free" calls when their hands are actually free to hold the phone. It confuses me.

It's anti social in a cramped space as you pout, drag and manouevre your face, lips and eyes around when you squint your eyes, pout your lips, and squeeze your eyelashes into curlers.

It's like ball scratching, hoiking your knickers out your arse cos your wedgied or that weird cock tweaking that blokes do when they're slightly turned on hmm

But that's in a cramped space like a bus, tube or train - in a huge airy airport where crucially I can get the fuck away from you, fine.

If I can't get away from you then leave the grooming for home or open spaces. A slick of lipstick and a dab of pressed (not floofy) powder fine.

Separately, most people of my mothers and grandmothers age would think its 'common' to put a full make up on in public - but they're from a hat wearing era grin

ivykaty44 Sat 09-Mar-13 16:58:20

Applying make up is intimate and like most intimate things best done behind closed doors or the ladies powder room

If you apply make up in public you will find that people may stare which is also rude, people shouldn't stare

Why is it intimate, though?

I guess that is the premise of this whole thread, and someone's already compared it to scratching your genitals - but all you're doing is putting coloured powder or liquid on your skin, so it's not actually terribly different from putting soap on your hands to wash, or applying some lip balm, is it?

HollyBerryBush Sat 09-Mar-13 16:59:56

I'm with ivy well put!

IslaValargeone Sat 09-Mar-13 17:01:00

Sometimes I think I'd quite like a return to some of the 'hat wearing era' morals.
Hoiks bosom discreetly

squeakytoy Sat 09-Mar-13 17:02:40

If I were in the departure lounge of an airport and wanted to re-do my makeup, I would go into the ladies toilets and do it there.

It wouldnt bother me if anyone on a bus or train was doing theirs..

Foggles Sat 09-Mar-13 17:02:56

Isla that would start a whole "hat etiquette" thread about size of hat, when it should be on and off etc.

IslaValargeone Sat 09-Mar-13 17:03:14

It's intimate because it's almost like a transformation, or at least it is in my case. From death warmed up into something that doesn't frighten small children or those with a nervous disposition.

IslaValargeone Sat 09-Mar-13 17:04:24

I had an older gentleman take off his hat when he passed me in the street the other day.
Have to confess I loved it, it made me feel very lovely.

Foggles Sat 09-Mar-13 17:06:10

Yes. It's like when you see the older generation stand still and remove their hats when a funeral cortege passes by. Good old fashioned values smile

grin I'm sure that's not true, isla. No, I get what you're saying, I'm just curious why this specific transformation is seen as something private. I mean, personally, whenever I go jogging I undergo the reverse transformation. But I don't do it in private.

And, to be serious, there are very few women for whom makeup actually transforms their appearance dramatically. I think it's a bit of a hype situation, isn't it?

everlong Sat 09-Mar-13 17:06:14

I was in JL the other day looking at pictures, I turned round and saw a woman crouching down putting lipstick on in her compact mirror. Oblivious.
She then just got up, gave her hair a quick shake and walked off!

JamieandtheMagicTorch Sat 09-Mar-13 17:06:44

OP

You put your feet on chairs [ shock] Shame on you,

Beyond the pale.

crashdoll Sat 09-Mar-13 17:07:35

I can't put my finger on why but I really hate seeing women put a whole face full of make-up on the train. There are so many women who do it. It's not just touching up lipstick but the full shabang.

ivykaty44 Sat 09-Mar-13 17:07:56

Ltd

Why do we pull the curtains to undressed for a doctor to examine us ? After all the gp is going to see us in a state of undress any way

It is because the action of getting undressed is intimate

Yeah, feet on seats gets my catsbum face. Especially people who slip their shoes off and put their smelly, sock-clad feet up on the seat you are about to sit on. Ewww.

ivy - but you don't get undressed to put on makeup.

JamieandtheMagicTorch Sat 09-Mar-13 17:08:59

ivy

Yes, never thought about it like that. I agree.

noviceoftheday Sat 09-Mar-13 17:09:16

God avoid me then! I do my eyes, cheeks and lips probably 2/3 mornings a week on the train. It's not intimate to me. How weird. Its not a mystique thing for me but a necessity of my "corporate uniform". The 10 mins I spend doing it on the train gives me an extra 10 mins with my kids in the morning, so no, I don't feel bad about doing it as I don't use anyone's personal space while doing it.

ivykaty44 Sat 09-Mar-13 17:10:54

You missed the point lrd

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now