to think school can shove their cocking badger costume up their cocking arses, and never ever ever again provide the stupid costumes they demand?

(61 Posts)

I had a great big ranty thread last week about school sending me a letter asking me to send my 10yr old DD dressed as a badger for World Book Day.

Well. I came up with a badger costume, thanks to MN, a printed out mask, and a nasty shaggy grey fake fur thing from the hospice shop.

And then I bribed DD to wear it, as, being 10, it wasn't exactly her idea of fun.

And then the class acted out an extract from the book (Fantastic Mr Fox) that didn't even HAVE ANY FUCKING BADGERS IN IT and DD had to narrate from the sidelines instead, and the little girl from Yr 1 who had also been asked to be a badger had to sit out.

WTactualF angry

Doobydoo Sun 10-Mar-13 18:57:44

HAHAHAHA Read your op...Fab....YANBU

Doobydoo Sun 10-Mar-13 18:56:41

Have not yet read thread...but love the title!...one of the best1 grin

I am blaming the teacher fair and square for not intervening when she saw that the house captain had chosen a bit of the book that left two children out. That's the bit I will be speaking to her about tomorrow.

But yeah, I get that its not necessarily the teachers who decide that dressing up as a cocking badger would be a great idea. The teachers I know all hate it too grin

Still18atheart Sun 10-Mar-13 18:43:48

Sparkly antlers that was very well put. grin

thebody Sun 10-Mar-13 18:15:00

Blame ofsted!!! Not teachers!

Funny thread though. Totally agree.

DP also howled with laughter at that letter. He was impressed, even more badger puns than he had already come up with on the subject (thats saying something as he is the absolute king of groanworthy puns)

WilsonFrickett Sun 10-Mar-13 11:31:39

I am howling with laughter at 'baited breath'. I may have to search your original thread for the list of great badgers in literature again too.

Poor dd. are you sure it was as black and white as she says though? grin

SparklyAntlers that is beautifully put grin

NuhichNuhaymuh Sun 10-Mar-13 10:04:12

Im very impressed you made a badger costume. Kudos to you!

Also glad you clarified too as i was reading through the thread muttering to myself "there are no badger in Fantastic Mr Fox, what?"

scrablet Sun 10-Mar-13 09:52:57

Doesn't do us any good to read it gaelic, believe me, most teachers have no say in how WBD is run in our schools.
( Wanders off grumbling about how no one could recognise her elaborate costume...ok usual clothes with a cloak over them...)

gaelicsheep Sun 10-Mar-13 09:45:03

That is brilliant SparklyAntlers.

QueenOfFarkingEverything - I'm really sorry for your DD, but honestly this thread is a classic! I wish every primary teacher up and down the land could read it.

SparklyAntlersInMyDecorating Sun 10-Mar-13 09:32:07

Compose an email:

Dear teacher,

I am sorry for badgering you on this issue, but I feel it really is black and white what the outcome was for my dd. Please root around until you find a solution - I certainly shan't be. Might I advise a cull on further dress up opportunities.

In order to facilitate the progression of my daughter's learning journey I have researched Badgers in popular culture - Animals of Farthing Wood, Wind in the Willows, Badger's Parting Gifts, and, of course, the ill-fated Fantastic Mr. Fox. In all these rolls the badger is presented as a wise leader, to be admired by all - an AGAT badger if you will? Whilst I appreciate your subliminal compliment to my dd, it unfortunately makes the resultant oversight all the worse. Therefore, I have every confidence DD is in the right sett, and will be afforded many such opportunities in the future.

Yours with baited breath,

DD has now explained more fully.

It turns out that the school was divided into their 'house teams' (its a tiny village school with under 40 children and mixed age classes) and each team had a different book assigned to them with the instruction to all come dressed as a different character from the book (hence the badger letter) ready to act out an extract for the rest of the school to watch. Then, the house captain (a Yr 6 child) was in charge of choosing said extract and organising the acting on the day. DD's house team captain is a child she doesn't get on with very well, and so it looks like the choosing of a badger-free extract was no accident angry which of course makes it even worse and I cannot fucking BELIEVE the staff let it happen.

The child I really really feel for is the little girl from Yr 1 who had also come all dressed up as a badger and just had to sit out while the others acted out a badger-free scene. How shit is that?

sashh Sun 10-Mar-13 08:53:43

I think DD should keep the costume at school and whenever she doesn't want to do something she can put it on and say 'I'm a badger, badgers don't take part in x'.

Can we all telephone our local A&E departments to find out if they have any casualties in, waiting to have emergency intra-rectal-badger-costume-ectomy surgery?

I have a mental image confused

MummytoMog Sat 09-Mar-13 23:30:12

We generally ignore all letters sent home from school, and since they made me cry in a meeting, they don't seem to push this shit. That said, DD was a pogging sheep in the nativity even though she can sing like an angel and is the prettiest girl you've ever seen so I made her the most adorable sheep dress in the world. Smug. As.

I absolutely love this thread. Thank you for going through this to make us happy. Am almost crying at the virgin badger grin

I am imagining the COSTUME being brought out at all important occasions...prom, graduation, engagement, birth of first born etc etc with queen standing sternly over her DD saying 'I made it, and you are going to cocking wear it'

Jojobump1986 Sat 09-Mar-13 22:40:04

This, right here, is why I plan on homeschooling my DCs! grin

There may be one or two other reasons... I'm not just that anti-costumes!

OMG Just reading the title had me laughing and all the badger stuff is cracking! Poor Dd op scarred forever now from dressing as a badger.
I love the idea of the sign, "I'm a badger" may have to pinch that idea myself. I did have an orange tee shirt for haloween one year that said "this is my costume"

jessiestressie Sat 09-Mar-13 21:13:27

I have never fully recovered from having to dress up as Mrs Beaver in the school play hmm.

If I were you I would regularly badger the school by asking what sett your dd is in grin.

gaelicsheep Sat 09-Mar-13 21:00:53

OP, I am totally with you. I am totally sick to the back teeth of jumping through hoops for the school for absolutely no bloody purpose whatsoever. I was cross enough when DS told me that, despite telling them to dress as their favourite character from a book and take the book in, there was no discussion AT ALL during the day about the books in question. Waste of bloody time. But your beats my whinge hands down!

I love your thread title.

zoobaby Sat 09-Mar-13 20:49:07

Your original post was like one of those Hollywood movies... epic journey of self discovery and huge sacrifice where everyone pulls together to get the underdog across the final hurdle (soundtrack Eye of the Tiger). I was really cheering for you and had visions of you DD tri?mphantly walking the hallway at school with everyone staring agape and making room for her to pass. I was really cheering for that cocking badger!

Then I read the reality and can't help but actually laugh out loud.

Bloody school. C'mon, fess up. Who exactly have you offended there? grin

FiveGoMadInDorset Sat 09-Mar-13 20:33:59

Sorry I am PMSL.

I love the school DC's are at, no WBD instead they go dressed in own clothes and take something in for PTA bingo.

Magimedi Sat 09-Mar-13 20:29:50

No - not at all PFB to complain - on the condition that you print out this thread & your first 'cocking badgers' thread & take them with you as evidence/support.

Am now close to hysteria re lobsters & badgers.

<disengages from MN & goes to lie down in a darkened room>

DH and I have just pissed ourselves at that badger thing up thread grin

OP YANBU, you will sound loony if you complain, but I think if I was you I would!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now