To feel 'railroaded' in these Mother's Day plans?

(57 Posts)
Snufflebabe Fri 08-Mar-13 16:58:09

Spoke with PIL yesterday, who said that they would see us on Sunday, for Mother's day as DH and BIL were organising something for MIL. Lunch or dinner, but they were organising it. No mention of me, or what MY plans, as mother of a 2year old DD might be.

Bumped into SIL (wife of BIL) today who told me that a table was booked In restaurant on Sunday afternoon. I asked if BIL had spoke with my DH and she said no, he had just gone ahead and made the plans, counting us into the numbers.

AIBU to just want to scream "Errrrrr, hello. I am a mother too and I might just like to spend some time wit my OWN family, rather than being TOLD how to spend Mother's day."

I'm pregnant and possibly just hormonal but I just feel no-one has said to me" hey, what are your plans so you too can have some special time on Mother's Day."

Grrrrrrr. I'm not even fussed about Mother's Day, I'm just annoyed that the plans have been made for me!

IABUofcourse Sat 09-Mar-13 01:47:09

Wll then it depends if you are christian and celebrating Mothering Sunday or not and celebrating Mothers Day

Welovegrapes Sat 09-Mar-13 01:51:50

In the UK Sunday is mothering Sunday aka mother's day and it was a day when people have gifts to their mothers many centuries ago. Not a purely religious thing at all!!

Tbh I find it sad so many people thing mothering Sunday and valentines day are recent inventions when they were going on 400 years ago.

Welovegrapes Sat 09-Mar-13 01:52:14

Gave gifts not have gifts - thanks phone blush

IABUofcourse Sat 09-Mar-13 02:02:30

Really? Not a day when they went back to their Mother Church?

IABUofcourse Sat 09-Mar-13 02:12:10

and the reason "gifts" as in wildflowers picked as a posy was because they hadn't seen family in so long nothing along the lines of how Mothers Day appears to be now

Welovegrapes Sat 09-Mar-13 02:18:42

Yep - it was a holiday for young people so they went home and they took gifts to their mothers with them. If I had my phd stuff I could quote, but it's all in the loft now smile

zipzap Sat 09-Mar-13 20:18:02

THink the returning to the Mother Church and to see your parents was all part and parcel of the same thing - because chances were, if you were a young servant girl/boy then you wouldn't have gone miles and miles away from home, so even if you didn't go to the same local church as your parents, chances are that you would go to the same Mother church and therefore get a rare chance to see them.

There was also a tradition of taking simnel cakes (marzipan - yum!) and as it was about half way through lent there was a brief relaxing of the strict lent food rules so that you could enjoy cake with your mother (and father and rest of your family!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now