Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think people who wear intrusive perfume are unreasonable?

(214 Posts)
MardyBraWouldDoEddieRedmayne Thu 07-Mar-13 18:27:05

I'm not talking a discreet dab, but people whose perfume I can smell even when they've left the room.

And if we're eating it spoils my sense of taste.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Thu 07-Mar-13 18:30:41

If you mean people that marinate themselves in perfume/aftershave then YANBU.

MardyBraWouldDoEddieRedmayne Thu 07-Mar-13 18:32:19

Yes exactly that Pobble.

Stop attacking my nasal passages (certain) people.

RevoltingPeasant Thu 07-Mar-13 18:33:18

God, yes. I sometimes get motion sickness on the morning commute and there used to be one guy who'd get on the same carriage as me a couple of stops after, and I had to move away from him regularly due to his noxious, foul manfume.

Bizarrely, there is a certain point in our local swimming pool where it reeks of aftershave. I am still trying to work out if the culprit is a) a Lynx-drenched lifeguard, b) the swim team's coach who spends the time sweating at his athletes from the side, or c) some gnarly old man in the slow lane wearing Old Spice and speedos.

YANBU

Anyone who wears hideous rat piss Thierry Mugler Angel should have to wear a big bell round their neck so that I can cross the street when I see/hear them coming.

Sparklingbrook Thu 07-Mar-13 18:34:46

YANBU. I feel like asking them what it is so I can never buy it. It's really anti social.

Sparklingbrook Thu 07-Mar-13 18:35:15

Giorgo Beverly Hills makes me want to vomit.

EmmaBemma Thu 07-Mar-13 18:35:53

I think some women just wear it so much that they get used to the smell and they don't notice it any more - so they think they haven't got enough on and keep reapplying.

Nagoo Thu 07-Mar-13 18:36:46

YANBU.

Mil did tone it down a bit when my babies hated her <cough> smile

YANBU, my pet hate is nurses who spray themselves after having a fag.
When I was on nights I always felt queasy in the wee small hours and God knows how it would make a nauseous patient feel?

Devora Thu 07-Mar-13 18:37:53

YANBU. It should be criminalised.

FellNel Thu 07-Mar-13 18:38:51

YANBU.

1944girl Thu 07-Mar-13 18:40:41

I used to work with someone who would come in every morning after drenching herself i a certain upmarket perfume, it smelt like cat's pee.

FeeFoo Thu 07-Mar-13 18:43:32

YANBU. My Mum used to wear 'Poison' to me it was exactly that! Strong perfume, doused on is a real no no, in my book.

insancerre Thu 07-Mar-13 18:46:49

YANBU
I am prone to migraines triggered by strong smells and I find a lot of perfumes really offensive. Bleach does the same thng funnily enough
I really hate it when people spray themselves in the loo at work- I think it is to cover up the smell of smoking but it makes me want to heave.

lalabaloo Thu 07-Mar-13 18:46:51

And don't cuddle my baby wearing strong or any! perfume! He doesn't smell like me and I get all sorts of weird primal instincts going on!

Fanjounchained Thu 07-Mar-13 18:47:05

Bunny you beat me to it. I was just about to mention Angel...though they don't need the bell as I can normally smell it from about 5 miles away. Girl I used to work with bathed in this stuff every morning. She was lovely but I could barely speak to her because of the stink of that stuff.

Sparklingbrook Thu 07-Mar-13 18:47:32

Sometimes Sparkling Cat comes home smelling of perfume. angry

StuffezLaBouche Thu 07-Mar-13 18:48:38

God Yanbu!
There's this one perfume that to me smells of faggy, pissy, dirty, unwashed clothes. I don't know what it can be but whenever I get a gust of it coming me way I feel ill.

tallulah Thu 07-Mar-13 18:49:28

YANBU. There is a certain perfume favoured by older ladies, with a sort of powdery smell, that is foul. I wish I knew what it was.

Pollydon Thu 07-Mar-13 18:49:45

Thierry Mugler Angel can be smelt ( and bring on a migraine ) at 20 feet , and someone at work likes to drench themselves in it, ffs !!

Uppermid Thu 07-Mar-13 18:50:47

Bunny, I thought of that as soon as I saw the thread title!

I have to admit, I used to wear it (only a tiny amount) as in small doses its lovely, trouble is, most women who wear it seem to bathe themselves in gallons of the stuff!

Anyone remember LouLou? That was a bit like that too (am also guilty of wearing that one in my youth!)

RevoltingPeasant Thu 07-Mar-13 18:51:15

Sparkling - have you checked his collar for lipstick? wink

Uppermid Thu 07-Mar-13 18:51:25

I see its unanimous re angel then!!

Strong perfume sets of my morning sickness. Send them my way, they'll soon learn. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now