Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think that the current Vegetarian Society ad on mumsnet is smug and unnecessary?

(70 Posts)
scarletsalt Wed 06-Mar-13 18:33:43

was growing mumsnet earlier and saw an advert for the vegetarian society, which shows a girl on a horse with the caption 'what's for tea?' underneath and then something about horse free vegetarian food.

AIBU to wish these people would just fuck off? I have no issue with people choosing a vegetarian/vegan/fruitarian or whatever diet for themselves and their families. I don't wish to have their choices rammed down my throat.

And it's not like a vegetarian diet is risk free either when you think of all the genetically modified stuff out there. Maybe the Carnivores Society could put out an advert with a three headed child asking 'what's for tea?'

And actually yes, even a carrot could have been in close quarters with a horse steak. Obviously it shouldn't be, but then there shouldnt be horse in beef burgers either

Fairylea Wed 06-Mar-13 19:21:14

Waterfall cardigans should be burnt at the steak.

(Poor attempt at on topic joke).

"I think its pretty low humour if the Vegetarian Society want to mock people who may be upset by inadvertently eating horse meat."

I don't think they are mocking, I think they are using the fact that people have lost faith in the meat industry to promote eating more vegetarian food.

YellowAndGreenAndRedAndBlue Wed 06-Mar-13 19:31:00

I think basic economics will tell you there is vastly lower chance of meat ending up where veg was supposed to be.

DoJo Wed 06-Mar-13 19:55:32

Considering how often most vegetarians have to hear 'but don't you miss bacon?' from people that seem incredulous that you actually don't want to eat meat, I think it's fair game that once every twenty years or so a news story breaks that makes some meat eaters feel just a tiny pang of jealousy over a vegetarian diet.

DISCLAIMER This is intended to be light-hearted - I don't believe that the vegetarian society are trying to induce jealous feelings in omnivores as a marketing ploy.

StuntGirl Wed 06-Mar-13 20:00:02

^"I think its pretty low humour if the Vegetarian Society want to mock people who may be upset by inadvertently eating horse meat."

I don't think they are mocking, I think they are using the fact that people have lost faith in the meat industry to promote eating more vegetarian food. ^

This.

Yes, basic economics would agree that meat deigned good enough for human or even animal consumption would not be replacing an onion.
But that isnt the type of meat it would be if it was being snuck into food, is it.

Of course you should be right, but the horsemeat being there shows that people are sneaking crap into our food, and I dont understand how someone with a restricted diet, who relies on food labelling being accurate in line with their beliefs, can think its funny if it goes wrong. Do you really not see my point, or are you just hellbent on picking a fight because you had an issue with my first post?

ariadneoliver Wed 06-Mar-13 20:03:51

I'm a meat eater and I can't get too worked up about this. Although to be fair I am old enough to remember making jokes about the Linda McCartney meals and their meat scandal.

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 06-Mar-13 20:08:51

Peace and love and Facon sarnies all round

Its already happened? Well I didnt know that! And thank you linda mccartney scandal, I hadnt even thought of meat being put into meat free products as an act of sabotage.

ariadneoliver Wed 06-Mar-13 20:13:42

Since you mention Facon Olivia. Why is it that vegetarians seem to spend so much effort creating and buying factory processed products which are pale imitations of meat. Why not just eat vegetables, pulses, fruit etc. surely they are tastier?

pirouette Wed 06-Mar-13 20:15:56

What ad? confused

I see no horse.

Lucyellensmum95 Wed 06-Mar-13 20:22:00

I don't like it and i think its pretty bloody patronising - its like it is saying, ah well, we know all mnetters little darlings have horses or go riding so lets target them. Saying that, i also find the boden adverts equally irritating. Irritating is kind of where it is at on my scale though, not outrage or anger

maddening Wed 06-Mar-13 20:30:58

Why can't people advertise if they want to? It's not offensive and you don't need to take note of it if you don't want to.

And not all veggies eat the wierd processed protein meat substitutes smile

YellowAndGreenAndRedAndBlue Wed 06-Mar-13 20:33:20

I think the 'picking a fight' comment might be aimed at me? Not sure. I am not intending to fight, but this type of food fraud is most likely to happen where suppliers, producers and consumers all collude in a myth that you can get a high value item (such as beef lasagne) for a low cost. I do not agree that all food is subject to the same risks, I think cheap food involving a long production chain is much more risky.

Mintyy Wed 06-Mar-13 20:33:21

But who says its "not offensive"? your opinion is just your opinion.

It clearly is offensive to some.

NewAtThisMalarky Wed 06-Mar-13 20:57:24

What I don't get is why someone would choose to be offended by that advert? What, exactly, is offensive about it?

What is offensive about pointing out that there is another option, and showing people where to go for more information?

YellowAndGreenAndRedAndBlue Wed 06-Mar-13 20:58:56

I am not being snipey, I haven't seen the ad, but what about it is 'offensive'? It just sounds like a silly joke about a topical issue to me.

I am going to find the ad now and have a look.

Mintyy Wed 06-Mar-13 21:29:20

To spell it out:

The advert mocks people who have eaten horse meat without realising it. The Vegetarian Society are cashing in on a controversial issue that will have unsettled and possibly even upset many carnivores.

It is crass and oafish.

As I said, not likely to win them any new customers.

somewherewest Wed 06-Mar-13 21:36:51

Vegetarians? Smug? Surely not grin.

...posted as someone who had a Findus Crispy Pancakes craving in pregnancy and has therefore probably consumed an entire Grand National worth of equines...

NewAtThisMalarky Wed 06-Mar-13 22:05:37

I can't see the advert (on a mobile), but the description doesn't make it sound like its mocking people. It sounds more like they are pointing out the failings of the food industry.

I can't see why they would make an advert mocking their target market. It would be very clever.

Haven't seen the ad, but tbh, I've seen enough ads advertsing meat with exactly the same slogan when walking around town! So I wouldn't be too phased by it...

gimmeanaxe Thu 07-Mar-13 13:28:01

whats wrong with poking fun? Ive probably eaten a stable full and have joined in with the horse jokes. With vegetarian friends.

PinkBottleGreenBottle Thu 07-Mar-13 13:48:19

I think it's quite funny. There are "No Horse" symbols on blackboards outside butcher's shops all the way down our High Street, and the veggies are just doing their own take on the same thing. Nobody is mocking anybody.

Yannah2006 Thu 07-Mar-13 14:09:48

It's a joke! And an advert- thats sort of the point of advertising!

Anyway, some people might be looking for an alternative diet if they're so offended by the thought of eating horse meat. Vegetarianism sounds like a pretty good alternative to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now