To get my face peirced?

(116 Posts)
coughingbean Tue 05-Mar-13 18:43:29

First I would like to say if you hate peircings regardless of age/gender etc please do not just say " no I hate them" or words to that effect as I am looking for unbiased opinions.
Ok, So I am 29 and have blue hair, usually red or some other 'interesting colour' I dress fairly conventional unless I am going out in an evening and then it is mostly 50's or Rockabilly.
In my teenage years I had both my lip and nose peirced and have now come to miss them!
Would I look really silly to get one or the other redone? If not which one?
My family seem to not like the idea and I would quite like to gather some other opinions.
Cheers!

Oh apologies for shit spelling and grammer as I am on my phone and it has no spell check blush

coughingbean Tue 05-Mar-13 18:54:39

Thank you for your perspective Ginebra

Ginebra Tue 05-Mar-13 18:55:39

You are welcome. I'd love if (maybe different day, different thread) you could explain what it is about facial piercing that appeals to you.

BoringTheBuilder Tue 05-Mar-13 18:56:26

Hi, what do you think a facial pierce would ad to your style?

coughingbean Tue 05-Mar-13 18:57:05

Hecate, I mean would I look silly at my age with a facial peircing.
I feel that people who dont like them automaticaly think they are horrible.

maybe unbiased was the wrong word?

Ginebra Tue 05-Mar-13 18:57:46

Yes Hecate, an unbiased thread would welcome all opinions!

I am still genuinely interested in what motivates people to pierce their face.

I just like the look of them I guess...not sure why.

Someone asked me why I dye my hair the other day (and random in the street) and the only answer I could think of was "because I like it..."

coughingbean Tue 05-Mar-13 19:01:13

Boring and Ginabra,
I feel that my peicings strengthen who I am, They become me, part of my identity iykwim
Then again I have bwen diagnosed with depression and BPD so maybe they have a part to play?

coughingbean Tue 05-Mar-13 19:03:00

See I started dressing ' differently' and dying my hair as I needed to stand out and be noticed.
Now I feel I do it simply because I like it

I had loads of face piercings, still have a few non facial piercings. Got rid of most of the facey ones for work as felt that I wasn't being taken seriously.

I would like to have them done again but never will, would seem a bit like I'm clinging onto my youth in my mind. If I'd just kept them since I was a teen I probably wouldn't bat an eyelid but there's something sad about getting it done now. Can't put my finger on it.

FWIW. I'm absolutely not a 'regular' looking person but for some reason it just doesn't sit right with me anymore.

That's a good way of looking at it coughingbean - my style is very important to me and is an expression of who I am...so my hair, clothes etc are all part of that. If I had the money I'd have tons of piercings and tatts

Ginebra Tue 05-Mar-13 19:07:02

So, is it the perceived 'toughness' of them that you feel matches your identity? That matches your strength, or reminds you that you are strong?

TaggieCampbellBlack Tue 05-Mar-13 19:07:26

I'm 37 and look very boring. I have my nose pierced though. My teeny bit of left over teenager rebellion.

To be honest for me...I just think they look pretty. Like I think tatts or crazy coloured hair are pretty...

Ginebra Tue 05-Mar-13 19:10:36

oh right. I thought it was like a deliberate tactic to take yourself out of the race for pretty. Now THAT i get.

BoringTheBuilder Tue 05-Mar-13 19:11:18

well, when I got my tattoo millions of years ago, I heard a psychologists saying people get tattoos for attention seeking. Don't know if he is right but I really needed some attention tbh, any attention.
I was really young, and nowadays my tattoo no longer matches my style
But not sure if I can compare tattoos with pierces

coughingbean Tue 05-Mar-13 19:12:52

I definatly do not want to look tough, but I find I am always searching for who I am and how I fit in.
When I had my peircings I felt they difined a little more.
Again huge apologies for tne spelling!

I'm sure other people have their own reasons, but I just like the look. The whole "edgy" thing just does it for me...I think it looks great. I love seeing people dressing and looking alternative. I suppose I do see it as a rebellion...not just piercings as they're pretty common, but the whole "look" I go for. I hate mainstream fashion and culture. I get that piercings can be included in that, but it's the whole look together I like.

That probably sounds really shallow...and I'm not shallow at all...it's just an aesthetic that I enjoy smile

If that makes sense...

coughingbean Tue 05-Mar-13 19:14:55

Interesting BORING

Maryz Tue 05-Mar-13 19:18:27

Can I just mention that as you get older your skin isn't as flexible, so it will take longer for piercings to close if you decide you don't like them

I have a friend who has a permanent hole in her lip through which she sometimes dribbles coffee, which is a bit disconcerting. She thought it would close up, but it hasn't.

coughingbean Tue 05-Mar-13 19:19:52

ooo thanks maryz!

Maryz Tue 05-Mar-13 19:21:33

Sorry grin

I'm honestly not trying to put you off, it's just worth remembering. It's a bit like tattoos on, erm, how shall I put this, expandable parts of one's anatomy. A tiny butterfly on my teenage bum wouldn't be tiny by now.

specialsubject Tue 05-Mar-13 19:22:59

just make sure it doesn't look like a really big spot, because a lot of them do.

HildaOgden Tue 05-Mar-13 19:26:37

I have to admit,I'm not generally a fan of facial piercings (I don't have any myself).But as I said upthread,I think you should go for it.Honestly,when I read your description....blue hair,rock-a-billy,and a piercing....my immediate thought was that you (in my mind) must be like a work of art.Eyecatching and thought provoking.

When you added that you work in a library,that just added to the intrigue!!(it seems like such a conservative job).I'd say that your outer appearance is just an expression of the 'other' side of you,the side that is slightly quirky.

And slightly quirky is ever so good in my books,makes the world a brighter place smile

RustyBear Tue 05-Mar-13 19:29:58

DD used to have this one - can't remember what it's called. I thought it looked rather nice, but she had to take it out because it caused her big problems rubbing on her gums, so I wouldn't recommend it if you have any gum problems.

StormyBrid Tue 05-Mar-13 19:30:51

Ginebra - "I am a horrifically obnoxious teenager and this will proper piss my dad off" was, if I'm honest, the main reason I started down the facial piercings path. (I was right, too, he went ballistic.) Between the ages of 15 and 21 I acquired seven of them. Still got them all at 27. No plans to take them out right now, because they're part of my face and I'd feel strangely naked without them, same as without my glasses. But I don't feel any urge to get any more - I'm not that horrible, messed up teenager any more (plus I started running out of bits of face).

There was also an element of reclaiming myself involved, which I've read isn't uncommon amongst survivors of sexual abuse. It was very important to me that it was my body and I was choosing what to do with it. Thinking about it now, I suppose it was easier to assert my ownership of my own body in the face of parental and societal opposition, than it would have been to assert the same by conforming and trying to look the same as all my peers. If that makes sense?

The thing that makes me hmm is that, while you're asking a legitimate question, I'm not sure what you'd accept as a legitimate answer. Would "It's decorative and I like it" be enough, or are you expecting deep and meaningful reasoning? If you are, then I fear you might be disappointed, because for many people it's just a fashion thing, not much different to how many people choose to make up their faces in the morning. I'm interested in what motivates people to wear makeup every day, but the responses tend to be thoroughly lacking in depth, and basically boil down to "I like it, I'd look dreadful without it, I have to for work" or similar - in other words, decoration and societal pressure to conform. Same goes for the piercings, it's just pressure from a subset of society with a different idea of how people ought to look.

OP, go for it if you want to, it's your face! Couldn't advise which to go for without actually seeing your face though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now